SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Aug 3, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #1,726 of 2,453
it was a mistake, the prefix for all walkmans (modern ) is NW, what i referring was a series, f series, zx series, x series, nevertheless, with all hifi or portable audio, if you are enjoying it and satisfied with what you have, why bother changing, apart from future inclusion of ldac wireless earphones, i won't change my zx100 for the next 6-7 years

i only change my digital audio players every 2 to 7 years, if i can change the battery after 3 years of usage, i will keep it longer, ie, first digital was nw-a1000 in 2007, it was pretty decent especially when i could use a back lit md style in line remote with it, then in late 2009, i had a x1050, it was great for 7 years

Did you happen to notice if the A40 model had podcast app like the A17 does?

Aug 4, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #1,729 of 2,453
when is a40 release date?
If Sony stays true to previous product release schedules I would guess starting in November in the Asian markets. We probably won't see it in Europe and North America until sometime next year. The big reveal will come at the IFA show in Berlin in September from the 1st to the 6th. I usually follow the IFA show posts to see the new gear that will be released in the fall and next year. Last year the WM1A/Z units dominated the Sony posts so hopefully this year the A40 and ZX300 will be front and center. CES takes place in Las Vegas in January next year and that will be the big reveal for North America. I would guess we would see the two new DAP's start to show up in the US in May or June next year.

Aug 4, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #1,730 of 2,453
Did you happen to notice if the A40 model had podcast app like the A17 does?
I google translated the manual for the A40 and found no mention of podcast support even though the translation wasn't great. It refers to bookmarking but no go for podcast support at least to this point. We should get to see more about the A40 next month from the IFA show in Berlin starting September 1st.

Aug 5, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #1,731 of 2,453
Does anyone know how to show the full name of the song? On my previous Sony players I would hover over the song name and it will show me the full text. Most of my songs have long song titles so this is very annoying that I can't see the full name easily.
Also is there a way to make it turn off automatically after being idle for a while? On previous players like a17 it would turn off after a day or two and that made it easier to preserve the battery.

Aug 6, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #1,734 of 2,453
I have been trying to do my homework on this and I have read several websites. I really think the problem is getting so bad that Sandisk and the other manufacturers should start thinking about selling direct to customers. This seems to be the only way to guarantee you won't get a fake card. At least then if a card doesn't work you know it is defective.

I can get 128GB cards locally for about $70.00 vs $59.00 on amazon.ca and 200GB for $110.00 to $120.00 vs around $100.00 on amazon.ca. So there is certainly a premium to buying locally but given how important a purchase it is I think it is worthwhile. Still not a guarantee you won't get a fake but getting a resolution will be much easier.

I don't know about back in February when you wrote this, but they do now:

https://www.sandisk.com/home

click "Buy Now" under a product. Probably much more expensive than major retailers, though.

Aug 6, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #1,735 of 2,453
I don't know about back in February when you wrote this, but they do now:

https://www.sandisk.com/home

click "Buy Now" under a product. Probably much more expensive than major retailers, though.

Well considering I can get a 128GB Sandisk Ultra card from Costco Canada for $48.00. From Sandisk site it is $51.00 US with shipping but they don't ship to Canada. I feel pretty safe buying from Costco as they have a great return policy. I won't buy sd cards from amazon.ca as you can't trust the suppliers.

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #1,737 of 2,453
Hey guys, after playing around with the EQ, I managed to find a setting which seems to open up the soundstage and remove the veil on the whole sound. except... it kinda ends up with me maximizing everything. Does this make sense?
b7IZA3j.jpg

What sort of EQ do you guys use?

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #1,738 of 2,453
I have a question about compatible noise-cancelling headphones.

I bought my A35 without headphones, thinking that my old ones from my A15 would work, but they don't.

In the A35 menu it states that noise cancellation is available with "MDR-NW750N/NE" headphones, which are detailed on Sony UK here: http://www.sony.com.tw/en/electronics/walkman-digital-music-players-accessories/mdr-nw750n

However, they don't seem to available to buy anywhere except e-bay, and they're very expensive. There are very similar ones easily available - MDR-NC750 - which look exactly the same but are sold as compatible with the better Sony mobiles and make no mention of the A35 or other music players.

So, are these "NC" earphones compatible or are the only compatible ones the "NW"s?

I'd like to be able to use the noise cancelling as it's the main reason I waited for the A35, but they've made old earphones incompatible (deliberately, I'm sure) and the new ones aren't really available unless these ones marketed for mobiles work.

Many thanks for any input here.

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #1,739 of 2,453
Hey guys, after playing around with the EQ, I managed to find a setting which seems to open up the soundstage and remove the veil on the whole sound. except... it kinda ends up with me maximizing everything. Does this make sense?

That is basically the same as turning up the volume lol. Yes, it does make sense that at louder levels the sound stage is clearer. You need some very high-end player and headphones (like the WM-1Z) to hear crystal clear audio at very low volume.

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #1,740 of 2,453

I think all you're doing here is increasing the volume - everything is maxxed-out, or very close to it.

I've played with the sound and have not found anything 100% to my likeing. My old A15 I used the "Unique" setting and found that very good, but the A35 doesn't have that and when I've tried to replicate it using a customer setting it doesn't sound quite the same. I've taken to using the ClearAudio+ setting, though it takes some getting used to. I need to have another play with the settings though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back