SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Apr 19, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #1,487 of 2,453
  So what kind of boot time are we talking here?  Are we talking turn it on and then go for a coffee or can you brew a whole pot. 
biggrin.gif

Here's what I posted earlier in the thread.

So I finally got a working "200GB" microSDXC card, a Sandisk Ultra. I loaded it completely full of M4A files (encoded with QAAC @ 73). The nominal bitrate of the tracks is ~140kbit/sec. It took about 95 minutes to build the database after inserting the card and mounting it. I then filled the internal memory (~12GB) with M4A file of similar properties. The unit now has just under 45k songs on it. The menus are little bit more sluggish now, but it seems to work okay with all that music on there. Boot time from power off (changing no file contents) is not fast. I timed it at ~212 seconds.

That was with V1.02 firmware.  I can't say how the boot time has changed with the newer FW as I haven't run the test again with that card since it's not the card that's currently in the player.

Apr 21, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #1,488 of 2,453
My A35 with a 64gb sd-card + internal memory full of flac and some mp3 (firmware 1.20) takes less than 1/2 minutes to rebuild the database. It's a little annoying, but compared to the boot time of my Ipod Touch-4g is not so different.

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #1,490 of 2,453
Does anyone know sony will have any plan on update some postcast feature like on A25. I hate it when the device didn't remember the last position on the audiobook it plays.
(Sorry for my terrible english)

Don't know, but wish they would and quick too.  Said before in this thread that if I had known about that lack of feature I would never have bought one!  Shame as otherwise it ticks all the boxes for me.  Size, weight, battery life and so on.

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #1,491 of 2,453
Just got my blue nw a35 today and wow what a nice little unit. Its been a while since I had a sony but man the sound is just unreal. There is just so much room in the soundstage for everything to breathe, and every instrument is so defined in its own space. It's making my cayin n3 sound a bit closed in in comparison, and the n3 is no slouch.

My one problem is hardly any of my album art is showing up, anybody happen to know any quick fixes or anything to try? Firmware is 1.02.

Build quality is really nice also.

Apr 29, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #1,492 of 2,453
I'm using the A-35 about a week now, And I should say that I'm quite disappointed. There is obvious boost on the low end and the high end which makes this player tonally wrong. Out of the box iPhone and Samsung flagships sounds more flat without a doubt (not saying the quality but the tones of everything including vocals). Normally I don't like to use equalisers but it is a must for me right now.

(60Hz -2), (400Hz -1), (1kHz 0), (2.5 kHz 0), (6.3 kHz -1), (16kHz -1 or 2 )

This gives obviously more natural sound, not only to the frequencies changed but also to vocals and such. Also, equaliser works but when I need to use equaliser I prefer much detailed eqs than this one, 10 Bands at least. I turned all the other effects and the joke called clear audio+ off , of course.

There is 100 pages of post full of junk. Only few posts which gives their impressions about the device. I ended up reading first 30 pages.. People who wrote their in depth impressions after 50th page please let me know or post some message.

Is this device is designed parallel to the kids needs who like V eq'ed beats headhpones or there is something I'm missing? I have used it 21 hours approximately. It has better more natural highs and etc compared to smartphones after eqing but know I think device seriously needs more precise adjustments that's why I'm frustrated. I don't even like 1 decimal of increament, would be better If it had 0.5 min.
I have uncapped the volume limit by chaniging device country to E, should I change it to other one, or revert back to EU and try it with the volume limit? Device needs burn in?

I know Sony does boost the low end and in some cases high end on their smartphones, you can check the gsm arena measurements but come on! I bought this player for only the quality of the headphone jack.. How does it don't sound flat out of the box like many of the smartphones today :frowning2:

Apr 29, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #1,493 of 2,453
I'm using the A-35 about a week now, And I should say that I'm quite disappointed. There is obvious boost on the low end and the high end which makes this player tonally wrong. Out of the box iPhone and Samsung flagships sounds more flat without a doubt (not saying the quality but the tones of everything including vocals). Normally I don't like to use equalisers but it is a must for me right now.

(60Hz -2), (400Hz -1), (1kHz 0), (2.5 kHz 0), (6.3 kHz -1), (16kHz -1 or 2 )

This gives obviously more natural sound, not only to the frequencies changed but also to vocals and such. Also, equaliser works but when I need to use equaliser I prefer much detailed eqs than this one, 10 Bands at least. I turned all the other effects and the joke called clear audio+ off , of course.

There is 100 pages of post full of junk. Only few posts which gives their impressions about the device. I ended up reading first 30 pages.. People who wrote their in depth impressions after 50th page please let me know or post some message.

Is this device is designed parallel to the kids needs who like V eq'ed beats headhpones or there is something I'm missing? I have used it 21 hours approximately. It has better more natural highs and etc compared to smartphones after eqing but know I think device seriously needs more precise adjustments that's why I'm frustrated. I don't even like 1 decimal of increament, would be better If it had 0.5 min.
I have uncapped the volume limit by chaniging device country to E, should I change it to other one, or revert back to EU and try it with the volume limit? Device needs burn in?

I know Sony does boost the low end and in some cases high end on their smartphones, you can check the gsm arena measurements but come on! I bought this player for only the quality of the headphone jack.. How does it don't sound flat out of the box like many of the smartphones today :frowning2:

I don't think you're doing anything wrong, nor do I think the sound is going to change. I myself think my iphone 6 sounds lifeless compared to the sony or practically any other good dap I've tried. The last apple product I thought sounded good was the ipod 5th gen. I like a bit warmer sound Sig myself, it's funny because I find the nw a35 more neutral sounding than my cayin n3.

Anyways different strokes for different folks, I just think you don't like the sony sound signature. My advice is return it and stick with your phone.

Oh one thing you might want to try if you haven't is changing the filter roll off to 'slow'- under output settings- select filtering/gain. This does tone down the sound a bit.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #1,494 of 2,453
Long before the sound signiture and warmth and quality, this player is not flat out of the box. I AM 100% SURE that A-35 will not be as flat as S7 or entry level soundcards in the RMAA measurements tetst.

Also, player can't produce very low end like 20-40 hz, but that's expected from a portable device, also prolong the battery life. WM1A/Z might be producing very low end since they have bigger battery but shorter playback time and equaliser option for below 60hz unlike A-35..

Can't anybody understand this? With their mid/high end in ears or cans?? I trusted most of the poeple here.. I am quite shocked at the moment.. Like 1st, it needs to be flat, then you can argue the it's definition and clarity and warmth.. When a device's only purpose is to play music, no wifi no gaming, no external speaker, no anyting, It needs to be flat at least on the paper. Again not talking about it's sound chracteristics, sound needs to be balanced, flat. Not bass heavy or treble boosted in a way that you can understand it after 3 second of listeining. Like this: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7_edge-review-1409p8.php#aq

About the recommendation "filter roll off to 'slow'", this option is for DSD to PCM converted playback. I don't have DSD. But I tried the setting anyway but can't heard any diffrence. Still thanks for trying to help.

May 1, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #1,495 of 2,453
Long before the sound signiture and warmth and quality, this player is not flat out of the box. I AM 100% SURE that A-35 will not be as flat as S7 or entry level soundcards in the RMAA measurements tetst.

Also, player can't produce very low end like 20-40 hz, but that's expected from a portable device, also prolong the battery life. WM1A/Z might be producing very low end since they have bigger battery but shorter playback time and equaliser option for below 60hz unlike A-35..

Can't anybody understand this? With their mid/high end in ears or cans?? I trusted most of the poeple here.. I am quite shocked at the moment.. Like 1st, it needs to be flat, then you can argue the it's definition and clarity and warmth.. When a device's only purpose is to play music, no wifi no gaming, no external speaker, no anyting, It needs to be flat at least on the paper. Again not talking about it's sound chracteristics, sound needs to be balanced, flat. Not bass heavy or treble boosted in a way that you can understand it after 3 second of listeining. Like this: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7_edge-review-1409p8.php#aq

About the recommendation "filter roll off to 'slow'", this option is for DSD to PCM converted playback. I don't have DSD. But I tried the setting anyway but can't heard any diffrence. Still thanks for trying to help.

I guess it also depends a lot on what headphone you're using. While I do agree that the A35 does have a bit of a curve on the sound signature, it's not that dramatic. Using my XBA-A3/Z5, Bass level is about the same as playing the same file from my PC thru my AV receiver to my Boston Acoustic speaker or the actual CD through my KEF speakers in my AV room. Highs does stands out a bit more but not to the point of distraction. But then again, I'm old so my ears are probably not as sensitive as yours.

May 1, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #1,496 of 2,453
Is this device is designed parallel to the kids needs who like V eq'ed beats headhpones or there is something I'm missing?

I'd think so? Sony usually aims for a youthful, affluent, urban market (20-somethings, I mean, not exactly teenagers). Just look at the product photos used for the device; that gives an idea.

http://www.sony.com/electronics/walkman/nw-a30-series

(fashionable headphones to match the latest Walkman colors)

or on the products themselves:

rocking out... https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61KrUKkWD3L._SL1200_.jpg
vs b&w picture of jazz musician for more serious, expensive device... http://sonyglobal.scene7.com/is/ima...eg&wid=1014&hei=396&bgcolor=F1F5F9&bgc=F1F5F9

Also they'd need to do something to the sound to make it seem better than what a smartphone provides. Smartphones already provide very good accurate sound for very little money. Many devices do. So there has to be tricks to convince the buyer that they have something special that was worth $200+.

It is like this throughout the audio world. Each device is supposed to offer accurate sound, presumably? Yet they all have difference flavors, "house" sounds, which people recognize...

Last edited:
May 1, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #1,497 of 2,453
I'd think so? Sony usually aims for a youthful, affluent, urban market (20-somethings, I mean, not exactly teenagers). Just look at the product photos used for the device; that gives an idea.

http://www.sony.com/electronics/walkman/nw-a30-series

or on the products themselves:

rocking out... https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61KrUKkWD3L._SL1200_.jpg
vs b&w picture of jazz musician for more serious, expensive device... http://sonyglobal.scene7.com/is/ima...eg&wid=1014&hei=396&bgcolor=F1F5F9&bgc=F1F5F9

Also they'd need to do something to the sound to make it seem better than what a smartphone provides. Smartphones already provide very good accurate sound for very little money. Many devices do. So there has to be tricks to convince the buyer that they have something special that was worth $200+.

It is like this throughout the audio world. Each device is supposed to offer accurate sound, presumably? Yet they all have difference flavors, "house" sounds, which people recognize...

Well, it also works for older folks like me that's beginning to lose some hearing sensitivity on highs and lows.

May 1, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #1,498 of 2,453

Why does it need to be flat?
I sold high end audio for over 15 years and if you talk to the experts they will tell you that flat does not provide the best results especially when using headphones. Bowers and Wilkins and NAD make the most speaker sounding headphones you can buy and they are certainly not flat. Name one portable audio device at any price point that is truly flat across all frequencies? I am willing to bet you can't! The flatest sounding headphones I ever tried were the KEF M500's and they sounded dead and lifeless. I exchanged them for B&W P5S2's and they sound infinitely better to my ears and they are not flat.

May 1, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #1,499 of 2,453
Why does it need to be flat?
I sold high end audio for over 15 years and if you talk to the experts they will tell you that flat does not provide the best results especially when using headphones. Bowers and Wilkins and NAD make the most speaker sounding headphones you can buy and they are certainly not flat. Name one portable audio device at any price point that is truly flat across all frequencies? I am willing to bet you can't! The flatest sounding headphones I ever tried were the KEF M500's and they sounded dead and lifeless. I exchanged them for B&W P5S2's and they sound infinitely better to my ears and they are not flat.

True, it's like setting up your EQ with a White noise generator instead of a Pink noise. Just does not sound good.

May 2, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #1,500 of 2,453
@Wiz33, thank you for sharing your experience with headphones and also receivers, respects.

@stalepie "they'd need to do something to the sound to make it seem better than what a smartphone provides.", yeah, seems very logical to me after reading your comment, and checking the advertisement for France for hear.on sereis, thanks.

@fish1050 Yeah, I agree on partially. For example my S7 edge which is tested by gsm arena, almost dead flat excluding bass frequencies. (It lacks bass). A-35 Sony player on the other hand has better quality and realism and timing and stereo qualities compared to S7 edge but I feel like I need to use equaliser because sometimes I feel bass is a bit much in the mix. And sometimes, treble is just a bit much. This is not problem in good recordings, It will just give some flavor and fun to it, which can be good most of the time, I agree. But I have some old recordings with low fidelity or you can say badly mastered, which are already a bit treble boosted, or some compressed pop music badly mastered for too much bass, A-35 makes them worse :/

I just wish A-35 was close to S7 edge or iPhone's in terms of frequency reproduction. Person who want a bit more bass or treble can always increase from the Eq settings.

Don't get me wrong, player has good dynamics, bacground is more black than my entry level soundcards, I feel sounds come from emptiness, treble is quite boosted but never get harsh interestingly (some person said that in older pages as well), but I really wanted it to be flat out of the box. No need to be dead flat but close.

Eq on A-35 device is quite usefull (responds quite good). The Eq on the S7 edge and Sony Xperia's are quite rubish to be honest. (Except clear bass option on the Xperias which are quite useful and work without much side effect.) S7 edge(exynoss) has 7 stepts to adjust, but after 3 dB boost on any frequency switch and whole sound is muffled. A-35 has much better eq, I boosted 60Hz all the way up to test and player gave me crap ton of bass with almost zero distorsion (very good for portable audio device), and the affect on the other frequencies were minimal. Normally no one boosts one spesific switch to max on the eq, so that's not problem. But still, I think onyl 6 steps is not enough, I can't make presice adjustment to bass section :/ I decided to turn the eq off in the end.

Anyways, I will change the device's country to U (US) in the volume hack and try again. (Because some person said "Asian version of ZX100 is hars sounding", interestingly. I had changed my device's country to E (Asia) before, so may be that's why my problem is amplified.)
Edit: I have read the whole thread 100 pages when I had time, took about 3 days

Users who are viewing this thread

Back