SONY NW-A30 SERIES
May 15, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #1,523 of 2,453
Well no I wanna know If the output is flat, because some people in this thread said that both the bass and the treble has a slight boost.
Thanks anyways haha :D

Don't think anyone done a full measurement yet. Given it's a Sony, there's probably a slight curve but not really noticeable playing the CD through my XBA-Z5 on my home system vs FLAC from the same CD from the A30

May 15, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #1,525 of 2,453
Yes i can confirm that its not the flattest DAP out of the box and it probably wasnt meant to be. It does have slightly elevated lows and highs. This reproduction of this boost does vary with the iems you use. For example when i pair the Sony with Dunu Titan 3, the lows and definitely enhanced so it the treble but Titan 3 is notorious for its extended treble. With the Meze 99 C the boost is very subtle. YMMV

May 15, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #1,527 of 2,453
May 19, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #1,528 of 2,453
Flat sound = dull and lifeless. If that's what you want then any mobile phone or cheap MP3 player will do the job regarding sound quality. I don't understand this obsession with flat sound. Flat is bad.

On a separate note, I got around to trying the noise reduction headphones that came with my old A15 but they don't work - I get a message on the player stating that noise reduction is not available with those headphones. I assume that Sony have artificially made them incompatible so that people are required to buy the new MDR-NC750s, which are twice the price. That's extremely disappointing.

May 19, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #1,529 of 2,453
Flat sound = dull and lifeless. If that's what you want then any mobile phone or cheap MP3 player will do the job regarding sound quality. I don't understand this obsession with flat sound. Flat is bad.

On a separate note, I got around to trying the noise reduction headphones that came with my old A15 but they don't work - I get a message on the player stating that noise reduction is not available with those headphones. I assume that Sony have artificially made them incompatible so that people are required to buy the new MDR-NC750s, which are twice the price. That's extremely disappointing.

It may also be that the A15 and A30 uses different type of noise canceling tech, Maybe one is passive while the other is active.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back