SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Mar 21, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #1,336 of 2,453
  But how do you rate the sound quality? I'm looking purely from a music perspective. All i will use this for is Shure IEM 846 and listening to music?? Better than the Fiio X1 Gen2?

Never heard the fiio range so can't comment there.  I would imagine (and remember, assumption = bad at least on headfi!) that it would be equal to it at least.  Best thing to do is order one from somewhere that has a good returns policy such as amazon etc.

Mar 21, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #1,338 of 2,453
  I'm seriously torn at the moment, I love the size and look of the player, the spec is good, the battery life is amazing... it's just the storage capacity. Minimum I'm looking at 200-256GB, more if and when it becomes available. 

I'm coming from an iPod Classic, the dream is to have my entire collection with me, losslessly, but i'm already hitting 480GB. I've been using my classic with a fiio amp but the stack is just too bulky for my commute so it's got to go, and i'm not a fan of my Shure 425s on the classic without an amp.

I was contemplating the x3 gen 2, then x5 gen 2 but the battery life and cost is putting me off slightly.

So down to audio quality, I assume it'll be better than my ageing classic and I can carry my favourite albums in alac with the lesser ones in 320, but it's whether i'm going to need it amping to make my 425s sound as good. 

Are sony likely to increase the microsd capacity as the card capacity increases?

Although it only listed as supporting 128GB MicroSD. I'm using a Sandisk 200GB MicroSDXC with no problem and many are using 256GB in theirs.

Mar 22, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #1,339 of 2,453
I have been on a DAP quest over the last few weeks and briefly owned and trialled the Sony NW-A35, ZX2, Plenue D and Fiio X5iii.
I ended up keeping the A35
beyersmile.png

1. The Sony ZX2 sounded best of all, but was just so heavy and expensive that the small uplift in SQ wasn't enough to justify keeping it.  I do miss that amazingly well controlled bass though...
  2. The Fiio X5iii is a nice player, but not really up to the hype.  It sounded a bit too dull by default and the Viper effects are too unnatural (and having to be online to use them is an awful compromise - Fiio need to negotiate rights properly and avoid this inconvenience to their users).  The build and design is nice, but nowhere near the Sony standards.
  3. The Plenue D is a fantastic little player with great SQ (BBE is awesome) and amazing battery life.  I was just as happy with the sound from this as I was the A35, but ultimately, the screen and UI on the A35 are sooo much better that that swung it for me.  If battery life and absolute minimal size were more important to you then the Plenue D is the better option.
  4. The A35 has (for me) just the right mix of great sound, compact size, superb UI/screen and decent battery life.

Mar 22, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #1,340 of 2,453
  I have been on a DAP quest over the last few weeks and briefly owned and trialled the Sony NW-A35, ZX2, Plenue D and Fiio X5iii.
I ended up keeping the A35
beyersmile.png

1. The Sony ZX2 sounded best of all, but was just so heavy and expensive that the small uplift in SQ wasn't enough to justify keeping it.  I do miss that amazingly well controlled bass though...
  2. The Fiio X5iii is a nice player, but not really up to the hype.  It sounded a bit too dull by default and the Viper effects are too unnatural (and having to be online to use them is an awful compromise - Fiio need to negotiate rights properly and avoid this inconvenience to their users).  The build and design is nice, but nowhere near the Sony standards.
  3. The Plenue D is a fantastic little player with great SQ (BBE is awesome) and amazing battery life.  I was just as happy with the sound from this as I was the A35, but ultimately, the screen and UI on the A35 are sooo much better that that swung it for me.  If battery life and absolute minimal size were more important to you then the Plenue D is the better option.
  4. The A35 has (for me) just the right mix of great sound, compact size, superb UI/screen and decent battery life.

Superb, thanks to all for your recommendations, I have now ordered the Sony and will update with my findings. Thanks again all.

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #1,345 of 2,453
wish to get these new feature in the next update if possible:
- display clock in main screen
- quick option to choose LO and HO
- drag down menu for playback shortcut or other option that used frequently

other than that, the latest update already nailed it.

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #1,346 of 2,453
  wish to get these new feature in the next update if possible:
- display clock in main screen
- quick option to choose LO and HO
- drag down menu for playback shortcut or other option that used frequently

other than that, the latest update already nailed it.

Easier Bluetooth access. My sole complaint with this player is being required to go to the settings menu every time I use it, to select my headphones. Why no auto connect, or quick link to the setting?

Mar 22, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #1,347 of 2,453
ok -- so shortly after posting that I found the NFC option in the menu. I enabled that, and now all I have to do is tap the player to the left earcup of the MDR-1000x.

AWESOME. Love this DAP.

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #1,350 of 2,453
So after a great deal of testing it appears as though either my music files are sibilant or the tracks themselves are.

Having taken a memory card with 20 tracks from my A35 and compared them to my 1st gen Fiio X1 I noticed the same audio quirks in the same parts in the same tracks.

It must have been some opposite placebo effect or something mental that suggested to me that the A35 was the culprit.

Having gotten that resolved, I am now fighting with a Class 10/UHS 1 Samsung 128GB micro SD card (80/20 max) because if I leave it hooked up to my PC whilst in the A35 it is taking forever to transfer (average 3mb/s) and tends to randomly disconnect some time into the transfer process. Even though I grabbed it from a big reputable chain store I think I've either got a dud or fake as it has issues whether it's in my phone, A35 or X1.

I found the A35 to be a mild upgrade over the X1 with my E70's. A bit of soundstage and that's about all I've picked up on specifically.

In most cases it is much better in the look/feel and UI departments but I miss some of the X1 options like Balance and the Max Volume/Default Volume settings. Plus the A35 is super slow at changing between EQ presets where the X1 does it almost immediately.

These are small concessions for what is really a nice quality of life boost. More portable friendly device overall.

And Bluetooth is there if I ever become rich enough or crazy enough to consider using it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back