SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Mar 19, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #1,306 of 2,453
In case it helps to charge the battery, I use the charger of a sony speria sp with 5 v and 0.850 A and fully charge my sony NW A 35 in 2 hours 45 minutes, is much less than the 4 hours announced by Sony in Its web, besides the battery does not get very hot, so I think I do it well and I publish it in case it helps anyone.

Mar 19, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #1,307 of 2,453
  So is the A35 better than the ak100ii in sound quality?

No -- but this is a hard question due to my usage:

I got the NW-A35 almost strictly for the LDAC capability, so I don't plan on plugging anything in but my customs every now and again (when I don't feel like bringing the bulkier MDR-1000X) As a wireless player, LDAC destroys the AK's Bluetooth SBC connection.

As a 3.5mm player, I'd still recommend the AK. Dynamics and sense of space just seem better to me. I also love the AK button layout, and volume wheel.. I'm gonna miss that.

Overall, I'm not yet completely sure if I made the right move. My pre-existing 200GB card doesn't work with it, so I either have to cough up the cash for a new one (to have my whole FLAC collection) or settle with a 32gb or 64gb card and fill it with 320kbps AAC.

Mar 19, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #1,308 of 2,453

No -- but this is a hard question due to my usage:

I got the NW-A35 almost strictly for the LDAC capability, so I don't plan on plugging anything in but my customs every now and again (when I don't feel like bringing the bulkier MDR-1000X) As a wireless player, LDAC destroys the AK's Bluetooth SBC connection.

As a 3.5mm player, I'd still recommend the AK. Dynamics and sense of space just seem better to me. I also love the AK button layout, and volume wheel.. I'm gonna miss that.

Overall, I'm not yet completely sure if I made the right move. My pre-existing 200GB card doesn't work with it, so I either have to cough up the cash for a new one (to have my whole FLAC collection) or settle with a 32gb or 64gb card and fill it with 320kbps AAC.

I see, ak100ii buletooth with my sony something abt headphone sometime couldn't have good connection when its in my pocket. And its really annoying when I'm on the subway. I wanna try LDAC too, But yea please keep me updated since you already own the a35. thx

Mar 19, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #1,309 of 2,453
Using Sandisk 2x64 1x128 and 1x200 GB all in the A-25 and A-35... But all were formatted on either of them

Mar 19, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #1,310 of 2,453
Using Sandisk 2x64 1x128 and 1x200 GB all in the A-25 and A-35... But all were formatted on either of them

Must be my particular card, as every other card I've tried works (but all small, 32gb to 64gb.) It's strange, as it works in any other device (4x here to test, including a camera) The 35 simply won't mount it for formatting. 

I'll yell at sandisk and see if they will send me a warranty replacement. 

Mar 19, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #1,311 of 2,453

Must be my particular card, as every other card I've tried works (but all small, 32gb to 64gb.) It's strange, as it works in any other device (4x here to test, including a camera) The 35 simply won't mount it for formatting. 

I'll yell at sandisk and see if they will send me a warranty replacement. 

I have a Samsung 256GB and my WM1A reads it fine, prior to this i had a sanDisk 200GB in my ZX100 and also grabbe dit OK no prob

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #1,312 of 2,453

Hi,

I have both the exynos S7 edge with Poweramp Alpha and have been A/Bing for the last 2 days all possible genres and hi-res audio (24 bit flacs) and 320 mp3s. I am using my Sennheiser HD598SE. The result? It is very difficult to say which sound better to me. Poweramp sounds great for pop, the sound is more detailed and alive. Soundstage in the 598s is great and better sounding from the S7. However, classical music sound more "real" from the A35. I got the A35 thinking that the sound would be much better than that from a phone but that is not the case.

Wondering now if I should return the Sony.... I got it at a great price but still paid about 185USD. If I had to choose again I would probably not buy it. Depends what kind of music you hear more frequently. I might finish returning it. Still not sure!

Are there others that compared the SQ from the A35 with that of a Galaxy S7? Would be great to read your comments.

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #1,313 of 2,453

Hi,

I have both the exynos S7 edge with Poweramp Alpha and have been A/Bing for the last 2 days all possible genres and hi-res audio (24 bit flacs) and 320 mp3s. I am using my Sennheiser HD598SE. The result? It is very difficult to say which sound better to me. Poweramp sounds great for pop, the sound is more detailed and alive. Soundstage in the 598s is great and better sounding from the S7. However, classical music sound more "real" from the A35. I got the A35 thinking that the sound would be much better than that from a phone but that is not the case.

Wondering now if I should return the Sony.... I got it at a great price but still paid about 185USD. If I had to choose again I would probably not buy it. Depends what kind of music you hear more frequently. I might finish returning it. Still not sure!

Are there others that compared the SQ from the A35 with that of a Galaxy S7? Would be great to read your comments.

I am actively A/Bing with my Pixel XL (which has the same WCD9335 DAC/amp as the S7)

Things I notice via 3.5mm jack:
- The A35 is a bit more spacious sounding, but minimally so
- Pixel has a bit more warmth to it, maybe a bit more dynamic with bass notes and kick drums

That's about it on that front. LDAC vs SBC Bluetooth is a different story. Noticeable gains across everything. Now I have to "hmm" a little bit and see if this is worth $240, or if I should just try out a $30 AptX adapter instead for when I use the MDR-1000x

I wish the Pixel had AptX :frowning2: then I wouldn't even need to be doing this lol  anything is better than SBC bluetooth (my pixel, old AK player)

Mar 19, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #1,314 of 2,453

Interesting. I wonder if that can change in a future update.

Anyone else having trouble with the 200gb Sandisk card? I have the player updated to 1.10 and it still won't detect my card, regardless of how I format it. Despite seeing others succeed, I did a "chat" with sony support and they told me that 128gb is the maximum supported format, and that the 200gb card will not work. Looks like I might have to go out and buy a new 128gb card and be picky with what I put on it. LDAC seems to be worth the hassle.

No problem with a 200GB Sandisk MicroSDXC at all fresh from the pack. Did you use yours in something else before or was it brand new?

Mar 19, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #1,315 of 2,453

No problem with a 200GB Sandisk MicroSDXC at all fresh from the pack. Did you use yours in something else before or was it brand new?

yup. It was the card in my previous AK player. It works in everything (different DAP, card readers, sony camera, and a GoPro) but NOT the A35 lol -- With this being said, it is still in warranty. I RMA'd the card this afternoon. Hopefully, I will be good to go in a week or two. For now, I have to use a 32GB card and the internal memory. So like... 1/5th of my music collection haha

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #1,316 of 2,453
When using bluetooth earphones MDR-EX750BT with NW-A35 through LDAC (LDAC enabled) gives me worse results than using supplied MDR-NC750 but cabled. As there is simply no EQ settings transferred over BT, the sound through BT is flat, without EQ enrichment, no bass. To me, LDAC seems therefore pointless. Am I doing something wrong here? I have tried two separate NW-A35 units, LDAC settings were configured in WM settings.

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #1,317 of 2,453
  When using bluetooth earphones MDR-EX750BT with NW-A35 through LDAC (LDAC enabled) gives me worse results than using supplied MDR-NC750 but cabled. As there is simply no EQ settings transferred over BT, the sound through BT is flat, without EQ enrichment, no bass. To me, LDAC seems therefore pointless. Am I doing something wrong here? I have tried two separate NW-A35 units, LDAC settings were configured in WM settings.

I would argue that you usually don't need EQ if you have a decent set of earbuds. I don't use any EQ or other enhancement setting as I want to listen to music as they were intended by the record labels.I would also argue that while the Model number is similar, The MDR-EX750BT maybe inferior to the MDR-NC750. As Sony charges 17020 yen for the MUC-M2BT1 BT cable without earbuds vs 19828 yen for the MDR-EX750BT so you're basically getting the same thing with $30 earbuds attached (you save a few $ without the MMCX connectors) compare to 9480 yen of the MDR-NC750 . For me, the sound quality is almost identical between my XBA-A3/N3 between wired and BT LDAC and both have plenty of bass. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #1,318 of 2,453
Thank you so much for your answer. That is weird to me as I was not able to modify EQ when connected through LDAC and it clearly says in specifications that EQ settings are not effective when connected over bluetooth. I understand your MUC-M2BT1 is also connected through BT. The settings get effective when I connect through cable. I am confused here.

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #1,319 of 2,453
Thank you so much for your answer. That is weird to me as I was not able to modify EQ when connected through LDAC and it clearly says in specifications that EQ settings are not effective when connected over bluetooth. I understand your MUC-M2BT1 is also connected through BT. The settings get effective when I connect through cable. I am confused here.

It you do a scroll up on the playback screen, you will see the EQ but it's default to off, you have to select one of the mode or custom to allow you to adjust the EQ manually. Or try going to setting during music playback and scroll down to "Sound Settings" and access the EQ and other sound enhancement settings there. Also, did you select "LDAC Sound Quality Preferred" under Bluetooth/Audio Device Connection Setting?

EDIT: My bad, while you can access and adjust the EQ setting while using BT, It doesn't actually do anything to the playback tonal quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back