SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Mar 13, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #1,246 of 2,453

You copied a Windows executable directly to the device and it did a successful update?

https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-dna/NW-A30_V1_10win_eu/NW-A35

To be clear, I won't be able to install "Sony MediaGo".

No, you run the executable file on your Windows machine, while the player is connected via USB.

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #1,252 of 2,453

That's a pity, I run Linux on my machine.

To follow up on this, it looks like it's possible, just need to buy one now :)

The Windows .exe file is a cabinet file;

Code:
 $ cabextract -l NW-A30_V1_10.exe -F Data/Device/NW_WM_FW.UPG Viewing cabinet: NW-A30_V1_10.exe File size | Date Time | Name -----------+---------------------+------------- 105435328 | 09.02.2017 21:06:18 | Data/Device/NW_WM_FW.UPG

Once the firmware image is extracted, it looks like it can be uploaded with the Rockbox NWZ tools.

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #1,253 of 2,453
Well... I have two polar opposite opinions on the A35.

UI, ergonomics and usability... It is a thing of beauty. From that perspective it completely annihilates my 1st gen Fiio X1.

Audio... It is, for me, a complete abomination and almost as bad as my Sony Z5 Premium phone.

Using my Ath E70's with a mix of 44/16 and 96/24 FLAC and ALAC files and compared to my 1st gen Fiio X1 it sounds like someone has stuck a cheap instagram filter over the audio and turned clean vocals into something sibilant. Even the speech parts of the live tracks where there is no music, just crowd interaction, does not sound clear.

I have:
Flat EQ (+0)
DSEE HX: Off
DC Phase Lineariser: Off
VPT (surround): Off
Dynamic Normaliser: Off
Firmware: 1.10

I'm sitting completely confused and flabbergasted at this item. I've only listened to about an hours worth of music across most of the genres I listen to and only FLAC/ALAC, no MP3 or more lossy files.

I'll be taking a closer read through this post, seeing what some other thoughts are before I decide whether to put it on eBay and stick with my X1 or not.

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #1,254 of 2,453

UI, ergonomics and usability... It is a thing of beauty. From that perspective it completely annihilates my 1st gen Fiio X1.

Audio... It is, for me, a complete abomination and almost as bad as my Sony Z5 Premium phone.

Using my Ath E70's with a mix of 44/16 and 96/24 FLAC and ALAC files and compared to my 1st gen Fiio X1 it sounds like someone has stuck a cheap instagram filter over the audio and turned clean vocals into something sibilant. Even the speech parts of the live tracks where there is no music, just crowd interaction, does not sound clear.

I have:
Flat EQ (+0)

I'm sitting completely confused and flabbergasted at this item. I've only listened to about an hours worth of music across most of the genres I listen to and only FLAC/ALAC, no MP3 or more lossy files.

I'll be taking a closer read through this post, seeing what some other thoughts are before I decide whether to put it on eBay and stick with my X1 or not.

Wow, I'm very surprised to hear this.  Most of the reviews here and elsewhere (including my own) state that they find the sound quality superb.  Maybe you have a faulty one?

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #1,255 of 2,453
Just ordered my NW-A35 in red. Can't wait! Should be here by the end of the week. I got this player almost strictly for LDAC, pairing it with my new MDR-1000x. I heard this combo at CanJam and was blown away.

Anyone have experience with this DAP, or other Sony DAPs with LDAC? Worth it?

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #1,257 of 2,453
  Just ordered my NW-A35 in red. Can't wait! Should be here by the end of the week. I got this player almost strictly for LDAC, pairing it with my new MDR-1000x. I heard this combo at CanJam and was blown away.

Anyone have experience with this DAP, or other Sony DAPs with LDAC? Worth it?

I have the A17 and use LDAC alot with my Sony receiver and the quality is excellent.  Much higher bit rate than AptX at up to 909 kbps and definitely recommended if you have Sony LDAC compatible devices to pair with your A35.  

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #1,258 of 2,453

I have:
Flat EQ (+0)

The only thing I can think of is the power output, The X1 have about twice the power @ 32 ohms compare to the A35 (70mW vs 35mW). My XBA-A3 does sound better on my Teac HA-P50 but the difference were not that dramatic. Another possibly baseless theory maybe that your E70 is burnt in using a higher power amp and now does not work well with lower power. It's easy to check if you happen to have any standalone headphone amp available, you can try running the A35 through that and see if it restore the sound quality.. 

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #1,259 of 2,453
Wow, I'm very surprised to hear this.  Most of the reviews here and elsewhere (including my own) state that they find the sound quality superb.  Maybe you have a faulty one?

Yeah, I am surprised too.

Head-Fi community have never let me down and as this was an "around Fiio x5'ish" level player with all of the Sony UI and ergonomic benefits and cheaper than even a 2nd hand 1st Gen X5... It looked to be an ideal shout.

I'll see what else crops up in the comments and see if I can drop into a local Sony store to see if they can do a side by side test/straight up replacement.

The only thing I can think of is the power output, The X1 have about twice the power @ 32 ohms compare to the A35 (70mW vs 35mW). My XBA-A3 does sound better on my Teac HA-P50 but the difference were not that dramatic. Another possibility baseless theory maybe that your E70 is burnt in using a higher power amp and now does not work well with lower power. It's easy to check if you happen to have any standalone headphone amp available, you can try running the A35 through that and see if it restore the sound quality.. 

No standalone amps so that's not a choice but I can run it through my AVR (Denon AVRX2000) and see what that comes up with. That should be more than enough for even a hungry set of cans, nevermind triple BA IEM's.

I am not sure if I can tell perse but it doesn't really seem like the E70's are struggling or starved for power. In parts you can hear the clean detail and instrument separation, and bass response is almost dynamic driver in terms of feel which always brings a smile to face when those rare parts come along.

My E70's can't have spent more than 20 hours hooked up to my X1 and would estimate it closer to 10-15 hours.

PS: I couldn't use my 64Gb Class 10 MicroSDXC card straight from my X1. The A35 flashes it's little light and doesn't recognise it at all despite waiting for 5 minutes just in case.

Anyone seen that kind of thing happen before I format the card and try again?

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #1,260 of 2,453
PS: I couldn't use my 64Gb Class 10 MicroSDXC card straight from my X1. The A35 flashes it's little light and doesn't recognise it at all despite waiting for 5 minutes just in case.

Anyone seen that kind of thing happen before I format the card and try again?

Knowing Sony, they probably put some sort of tag on the MicroSD so formatting it should fix your problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back