SONY NW-A20 SERIES
Jul 17, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #331 of 430

Given that the A20 series is still not available for sale in Canada (still coming soon) not holding my breath on the A30.  Besides it is apparently going to have a touchscreen and android so I would guess wifi as well.  Starting to sound like another expensive DAP from Sony.  I would imagine the A30 will not replace the A20 but fill a gap between A20 series and maybe the ZX200.  If they add touchscreen and android to the A30 then you know the ZX200 or whatever will have it to.   

So my prediction A30 $600.00 to $800.00,  ZX200 $1000 to $1200.00 with the A20 series around its current price.  Since the A10 series is still being sold have wonder if they will keep it or drop it

Not sure if the new A series will have wifi or touchscreen but from the fcc docs, it only tested for nfc and bluetooth 3.0.  It might have a new design but that is not confirmed yet, what is confirmed is 3 capacities, 16, 32 and 64GB.

http://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.ca/2016/07/new-series-walkman-coming-soon.html

But in addition there will be another walkman at ifa or at least coming this year, no information which country will get it. Models are WM1A and WM1Z, the WM1A will ship with bluetooth LE.

http://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.ca/2016/07/new-sony-wm1-series-walkman-coming-at.html

Sadly there is no information about capacity in the fcc docs, or even about the design, but it might be part of the larger W series, so WM, W, and WH models. Remains to be seen.

Jul 18, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #332 of 430

Not sure if the new A series will have wifi or touchscreen but from the fcc docs, it only tested for nfc and bluetooth 3.0.  It might have a new design but that is not confirmed yet, what is confirmed is 3 capacities, 16, 32 and 64GB.

http://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.ca/2016/07/new-series-walkman-coming-soon.html

But in addition there will be another walkman at ifa or at least coming this year, no information which country will get it. Models are WM1A and WM1Z, the WM1A will ship with bluetooth LE.

http://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.ca/2016/07/new-sony-wm1-series-walkman-coming-at.html

Sadly there is no information about capacity in the fcc docs, or even about the design, but it might be part of the larger W series, so WM, W, and WH models. Remains to be seen.

Okay so if the speculation about the touchscreen and android OS and maybe wifi are incorrect then what the heck is Sony changing on the A30?  With a firmware update the A17 got bluetooth 3.0 and the A20 added Sony only noise canceling.  Without adding a touchscreen, android or wifi what is left to upgrade or change.  Maybe a slightly better and bigger screen, dual microsd card slots (not holding my breath).
Knowing Sony it might just be cosmetic changes.

As for the new WM1 series maybe this will be the full blown bells and whistles series with the touchscreen etc...  If I am correct this WM series could be the first new DAP from Sony since they broke up the company.  In the past all of their products were designed by committee so this could be one of the first products designed by an autonomous division of Sony.  Should be interesting to see what direction they go

Aug 9, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #334 of 430
I find it interesting that the A10 series thread still gets steady posts and this one seems to have dried up completely

Aug 17, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #335 of 430
My A25 has crossed 150 hours of usage/burn in. Now it sounds very nice to me

MP3 320 kbps vs wav loss-less.

wav loss-less is a clear winner here. It wins in everything....

1) Bass - it has more bold and powerful bass than 320kbps
2) Sound stage - sounds more open and wide.
3) Clarity - better clarity across all frequencies.
4) Loudness - to get the same loudness on 320kbps I have to raise the volume level one notch up.

So if wav loss-less sound quality is 100/ 100 , 320kbps is about 80-85/100 only.

I have hundreds of CD's collected over the years. I had ripped them to 320kbps, because my old Walkman E474 did not show much difference between 320kbps and wav loss-less. This I think may be due to the fact that old Walkman was an exclusive mp3 player and not designed to handle higher quality files like wav.

On the other hand A25 has been designed to handle mp3 as well higher quality files (like wav and high resolution). 320kbps files sounds better on A25 than on E474.

Now I have to rip all my CD's again to wav loss-less

Aug 17, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #336 of 430
You can fit more wavs lossless if you compress losslessly to FLAC or apple lossless, thos if you are windows or linux recommend FLAC, it sounds exactky the same as a full raw wave file, lets say a wave is 80MB for 4 min, a flac would be 26-45MB flac compresses between 50% and 60% and then reconstruct using a dictionary table for replaced values. unlike mp3 that discards permaently therefore mp3 files are 4 to 14MB in size

Sep 4, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #341 of 430
Hello everyone. My first post here. I recently bought the A25 and finding it a real delight to use (listening).

One thing that I found out with great surprise and utter dismay is that when connected to my car audio thru USB, my headunit will only read and play mp3 files even though the player is hi-res capable. Connecting by bluetooth solves the problem and it enables me to hear all my flac files in my car. The only downside is that the quality of sound (volume and overall quality) has dropped a bit compared to a USB connection.

I just thought I'd put out my experience here using the device for others who are not in the know.

Sep 4, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #344 of 430
Been comparing the sound between the a25 and iPod Classic. The Classic seem to be more louder and bassier as opposed to the a25. The only thing going for the a25 is that it's more airy and refined sounding. I guess it depends on one's taste which is better of the two.

I just thought that being the a25 being a hi-res player that it would trample all over the iPod since it is simply 'just' an mp3 player.

I wish that the a25 would be a bit more punchier and less subtle and if it is, this would make the player the best value at this price range.

So I'm still considering asking for a refund and just keep on using my Classic.Mmm decisions, decisions.

Sep 4, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #345 of 430
Been comparing the sound between the a25 and iPod Classic. The Classic seem to be more louder and bassier as opposed to the a25. The only thing going for the a25 is that it's more airy and refined sounding. I guess it depends on one's taste which is better of the two.

I just thought that being the a25 being a hi-res player that it would trample all over the iPod since it is simply 'just' an mp3 player.

I wish that the a25 would be a bit more punchier and less subtle and if it is, this would make the player the best value at this price range.

So I'm still considering asking for a refund and just keep on using my Classic.Mmm decisions, decisions.

Did you volume match the two devices?  A volume level of, say, a 15 on a classic may  blow away a level 15 on a Sony.  However, you need to make sure the decibel level is equal for a true comparison.  So, your Sony may need to be a 20 to match the classic's 15.  Then compare the sound.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back