Sony Minidisc MZ-R37 - Remote
Sep 20, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #16 of 32
Sony's synchro is pretty good. Are you doing optical or analogue recording? For short bursts, manual is best, but for entire albums, it is good to use synchro, which will synchronise your recorder with a very very small output form the source. The only problems this will incur in analogue recordings is in songs that use silence to stretch the time out. Then, the recorder will default to a new track when the music comes back on. If you are recording albums like this from an analogue source, then it is fair enough to use manual recording and afterward, add track marks between songs.

Sep 20, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #24 of 32
I have 2 mz-r37s was my favorite player for a long then i started importing units from japan. I have 2-3K discs and probably 15-20 players and recorders. I need to thin them out. Maybe it will be an ebay x-mas kind of year. For some reason I thought no other remotes would work with the mz-r37.

Sep 20, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #27 of 32
After a few hours of listening, I can't really tell the difference between a minidisc and a CD, only between minidisc and ipod/laptop. The CD and minidisc blow everything else away! I'm honestly shocked because I thought it would be super-compressed. Maybe ATRAC is much less lossy than MP3? Somehow, I think it even sounds better than the CD player...could it be that the internal line out on the CD player isnt as good, but since digital is digital when it recorded, it sounds better on the minidisc player?

Sep 20, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #28 of 32
Actually, ATRAC is compressed with dynamics in mind and has been shown many times to be less accurate than a good MP3, but that makes no difference because it sounds good. Yes, a lot of people think it sounds better than CD and that is the first hint that something is 'off'. MD has always sounded bigger than CD and that is impossible. So while it sounds 'good', it isn't at all as accurate as modern codecs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back