Sony MH1 recabled by ZMF
Feb 24, 2014 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

shotgunshane

Headphoneus Supremus
ZMF MH1 Recable

Like many on Head-Fi, I thoroughly enjoy the diamond in the rough that is the Sony MH1. After originally receiving a super sub bass boosted MH1C long ago, I’ve found the quality control of the regular MH1 to be more consistent in its sub bass boost. If you didn’t know, the MH1 is quite linear from the midrange through treble (and quite extended) and with a properly placed EQ in lower bass, you can have a pretty neutral-ish dynamic driver that will outperform many IEM costing many, many times more.

So the sound quality is great! But the cable? This is quite possibly the worst cable I’ve every experienced on 100+ IEMs I’ve bought, borrowed or auditioned. I hate flat cables and not only is this one flat but’s it’s pretty wide, has an enormous mic control unit and worst of all- it’s a J cable. Can it get any worse? Like others, I’ve bent mine this way and that and used velco straps to turn it in to a Y cable of sorts that allows me to wear them over the ear, staying in place most of the time. The things we have to put up with for great sound quality, right?

I have been searching months and months for someone to recable this IEM but to no avail. Apparently it is a difficult one to take apart and resolder the wires without damaging the drivers. No one wanted to take on the project, so I put a want ad in the classifieds. Luckily sfwalcer stumbled upon an eBay image of a recabled MH1 and suggested I contact the seller. Success! Finally a modder who was willing to take on the project and let me share the results with Head-Fi. Enter Zach from ZMF Headphones: http://www.zmfheadphones.com/

Zach was very friendly from the get go and easy to discuss options with how the recable should be carried out. After some trial and error and more discussion, he finally came up with a successful plan:

- Round braid
- RA Neutrik
- O-ring for neck slider
- Heat-shrink on the cable under the housing stress reliefs
- Heat-shrink Y split

I’ve very pleased with the outcome and the price is very fair. Not only is the recable much better looking but it is less bulky and fiddle-some than the stock cable, and best of all it is easy to use over the ear. My cable is OCC copper but OCC SPC is available as well (and I’ll have my other MH1 recabled in it). The heat-shrink under the stress reliefs is genius- it helps to keep the cable from untwisting, while simultaneously sealing unwanted venting out of the stress relief. The O-ring makes a very practical neck slider and will never slip on you.

Two areas for improvement, one of which I’ve already discussed with Zach, are:

- Some kind of ZMF personalized or other decorative Y split. The heat-shrink is functional but a more aesthetically pleasing Y split, like wood, carbon, etc would really set the entire recable off.
- Perhaps slightly loosen the round braid for more added flexibility. My recable round braid is very tight and looks great but I think by just slightly lessening the tightness of the braid will give even more flexibility.

Zach was a pleasure to deal with and I really appreciate his willingness to listen to and incorporate some of my feedback.

Feb 24, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #3 of 55
^ OH WOW!!! These looks D'YAM SEXCEE!!!
biggrin.gif

Too bad i already sold off all my 3 sets of MH1Cs.
ph34r.gif
Might have to get my dirty lil' hands on a set of MH1s instead it seems.....
..... but the mili dollar question is HOW MUCHY HOW MUCHY!!!??? : P
CONGRATS!!!
beerchug.gif

Zach is Da' MAN!!!

Feb 24, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 55
Zach has pricing on his site, towards the bottom of the main page. He is in the process of giving the mh1 recable it's own page on his site.

^ On sweet, so the $99 price includes the total package including shipping. Nice, since you don't have to send your set of MH1/Cs to him makes the process much faster. haha

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #8 of 55
Very nice indeed
If only they offer in-line mic option too, since i want something portable and convenient might as well have a good mic to go with it to pick up calls and whatnot
Yes I know not everyone wants one to go with their IEMs due to it messing with the shirt and it might downgrade the SQ but I am really looking at an all-in-one package

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #9 of 55
SGS you are a god among men. I will 100% be doing this.

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #10 of 55
Very nice indeed
If only they offer in-line mic option too, since i want something portable and convenient might as well have a good mic to go with it to pick up calls and whatnot
Yes I know not everyone wants one to go with their IEMs due to it messing with the shirt and it might downgrade the SQ but I am really looking at an all-in-one package

Shoot Zach and email. Maybe he can source a mic for you and put one in.

SGS you are a god among men. I will 100% be doing this.

If only I could convince my wife!

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #13 of 55
That looks awesome.  I have to say though, my first recable was like this one pictured.  I joined the grounds at the y-split and that way the remaining cable is a lot less heavy and thick.  Makes it more flexible too.  Gotta love a recabled mh1 though! :)

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #15 of 55
These seem great. I'm looking for a $100 iem and I was thinking about the re-400 but there seems to be lots of durability problems. I have Zachs t50rp mod and I love it. It's my main and only headphone now. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back