Sony MH1 recabled by ZMF
Mar 30, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #16 of 55
So are the sound any different from the stock mh1c...i hated the cables so muuuuuuch:dizzy_face:...and after seeing these I had to buy them and I bought the one with 7N occ silver plated copper and right angled rhodium neutrik jack for $129:blush::grin:....cant wait for them because there sound was worth some hassle but in the end I couldn't stand the cable and had to give them away:cry:...and now a welcome reunion it will be:smiley:

Apr 2, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #19 of 55
Great, I just emailed Zach for my recabling request. I also just had for MH1 for a day but cannot stand with the cable anymore....! even when worn over the ear. Worst cable ever; what Sony were thinking?!

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #21 of 55
Copying and pasting Gnarlsagan's post from the main mh1 thread:

Got my ZMF recabled MH1 the other day. I requested a black cable, and Zach obliged no questions asked. Originally the recable I received was a bit short, and when I brought this up to Zach he immediately sent out a new recabled MH1, without even waiting to get my first pair back! He usually replies right away too, so great service from ZMF all around. 

Build
Solid. The black cable is from BTG Audio, and is one of the best cables in the business. It's thin, strong, and flexible with minimal memory. Microphonics are very low or non-existent when worn over the ear. Heat shrink covers the shortened strain relief and the bass vent on the top of the barrel, resulting in a very clean look. A rubber chin slider helps secure the wire for an over-the-ear fit. The braid is tight and secure, and I opted for a right angle connector. Overall I'm very pleased with this all turned out. 

Sound
Audibly reduced bass! I'd estimate at least a 3dB decrease from stock, achieved by covering the bass vent and sealing the strain relief. Vocals sound a bit less warm, a welcome improvement over the already top-tier mids. These things really excel with acoustic music with their forward mids and smooth treble, and the otherwise boomy bass recedes a bit into the background, becoming less of an issue than with bass-heavy genres like edm or hip-hop (or even bass prevelant rock). 

More Recables?
User luisdent has sent me his first recable success to try out, and the results are also a massive improvement over stock. He's opted for some thicker copper and silver wire, with some longer heat shrink over the strain relief, a product of soldering directly to the cable rather than go in through the housing (although lusident's MH1 recable v2.0 will likely go straight into the housing). Still, the strain relief is short enough to wear over the ear. Regarding microphonics, they're a bit more pronounced than the BTG cable, and shirt clip goes a long way in helping to reduce it. The chin slider looks to be a piece of heat shrink, and it works great.  

But enough talk! I offer some pics for your enjoyment:

Apr 8, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #23 of 55
How much does Zach charge for recable?

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #28 of 55

Users who are viewing this thread

Back