Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Sep 1, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #1,861 of 2,453
Hi guys I got Z7M2 and they don't isolate at all it seems. Which overear headphones I can get that have better sound isolation and comparable soundstate?

Sep 1, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #1,862 of 2,453
Pioneer SE-Master 5 👍 with its suppied pleather pads or use dekoni TH900 elite sheepskin pads, I tried Z7M2 and Z1R. I also have focal elegia with dekoni elite sheepskin pads but had comments at work asking if they where open back or something. The SEM5 sound awesome and no comments on being able to hear them.

Sep 1, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #1,863 of 2,453
@Nayparm i am less concerned about people hearing them, moreso about me being able to hear outside noise. Or is it impossible to completely block the noise out with over ear headphones?

Sep 1, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #1,865 of 2,453
Hi guys I got Z7M2 and they don't isolate at all it seems. Which overear headphones I can get that have better sound isolation and comparable soundstate?
My wife can't hear them, so they isolate just fine.

Sep 1, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #1,866 of 2,453
He's talking about isolating himself from external noise, using the headphones - he thinks the headphones are not providing enough isolation.

Sep 1, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #1,867 of 2,453
@XM3orZ7m2 yes exactly - I mean -the construction outside etc., i listen on very low volumes

Sep 1, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #1,868 of 2,453
He's talking about isolating himself from external noise, using the headphones - he thinks the headphones are not providing enough isolation.
The WH-1000XM4 might be his answer

Sep 1, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #1,869 of 2,453
The WH-1000XM4 might be his answer

I was thinking the same. Passive isolation using normal headphones will not be great while listening at low volume, unfortunately. I didn't experiment with a lot of normal headphones, so there may be some of them that are good at that.

Otherwise, noise cancelling - however, noise cancelling headphones don't usually offer the same sound quality that normal headphones can offer.

I am quite happy with my Z7M2 in regards to that.

Sep 1, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #1,870 of 2,453
thanks guys, I was wondering if my expectations were off. I don't want active isolation headphones (Bose etc. type). If Z7m2 is within ~80% of what overear headphones can do isolation-wise I am happy with them. The sound, the soundstage is awesome. Now with EQ especially.

Sep 1, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #1,871 of 2,453
I was thinking the same. Passive isolation using normal headphones will not be great while listening at low volume, unfortunately. I didn't experiment with a lot of normal headphones, so there may be some of them that are good at that.

Otherwise, noise cancelling - however, noise cancelling headphones don't usually offer the same sound quality that normal headphones can offer.

I am quite happy with my Z7M2 in regards to that.
Also happy with them. Still one of the best closed backs on the market, period.

Sep 1, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #1,872 of 2,453
The Z7M2s are teetering on the edge of 'closed' headphones - I treat them more akin to semi-open.

Sep 2, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #1,873 of 2,453
You'll probably need some active noise-cancelling (ANC) headphones; they do a pretty fantastic job of attenuating outside noise. Most (over and on-ear) headphones don't do this very well with passive noise isolation, IMO.

I have the Sony WH-1000XM4, and the ANC function is superb. You might want to give this a try.

Sep 2, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #1,874 of 2,453
So I have been contemplating as to what I would upgrade to from my MDR-1A m1. I have been looking at headphones for months now but there would always be 1 feature (may it be build, unavailability of pads/parts if ever something might go wrong, tuning, design the list goes on really) that would disappoint me. I would primarily be using them directly plugged into my wm1a. I also just bought a cheap amplifier to test things out with harder to drive headphones. I also have a friend that has these and I have been jealous of him eversince he got those lol (I originally wanted to get the z7m1 instead of the mdr 1a but due to budget constraints I settled with the 1a). I would like to ask you guys' recommendation/thoughts on whether its still a viable buy now in 2020.

Sep 2, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #1,875 of 2,453
Those Z7M2 are not my main headphones (I use daily a Heddphone and Ultrasone Ed15 Veritas), but every time I use them with the WM1A at home (particularly with MrWalkman 1A/Z++ cooked firmware), I am wondering why I bought a much more expensive closed headphones as the Z7M2 gives already an impressive rich sound.
I am not sure in 2020 there is really a much better closed headphone on the market.. Z1R, Ed15Veritas, Stellia are all very good and even maybe the D9200 too.. but, not that much better, as I could compare by myself with Z1R and Ed15 => the Z7M2 is far to be a failure.
I don't definitely sell my Z7M2 because:
1) as a spare headphone it's safe a way for the future,
2) it seems those are not sold anymore by Sony in my country
3) I will avoid again a 3 to 5 times more expensive closed headphones as the sound quality gain is really far from that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back