Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Sep 5, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #1,891 of 2,440
Ah, they do sell 20years old model as new, their studio monitoring headphones, MDR CD900st, MDR v6, MDR 7506, etc, the darlings of many, many studios, it’s only because their job demands for a monitoring gear that doesn’t change in sound tho.
Sennheiser, Shure, Beyer, and AKG, the old guards, are the same in that regard.
It is really a shame that they discontinued r10 but I think it was the right choice since it was not easy to manufacture the drivers (something like in every 20 made only 8 are good). With todays tech it would be easier to make the r10. I do like how hifiman made a comeback with it. Douche-y but thats marketing. Sonys patent also expired so theres that...

Sep 14, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #1,892 of 2,440
Removed the paper, note there are two layers and to leave the 2nd layer in place. Supposedly it removes the 3k peak!
I also have unicorn tail and lambskins on so I forget how it sounded stock. Roght now mine sounds accurate and detailed, bass is there when needed.

Original post I found...https://www.facebook.com/currentval...ES0PIosocaGekiBhlfpZy27M8gpsjst&__tn__=EEHH-R

EDIT: I went back to stock pads after these mods, much better.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #1,894 of 2,440
You just removed the quality control stickers? Is the texture like a sticker you find on an apple or something like a felt eraser for damping.

@FireLion why did you pick up the z7m2? It seems like you have experience with a lot of headphones as well

Not sure what they are but I think more air can passthrough the paper as it's just a light layer leftover so I belive it's some form of damping. I got them as I wanted to exepriece the Sony 70mm driver and was too cheap to get a Z1R but I might get one someday. :)

Sep 16, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #1,895 of 2,440
Did anybody try to replace the original pads? Any difference in sound?

Sep 16, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #1,896 of 2,440
Oh there would definitely be a change in sound. Even if you went from well worn stock pads to brand new stock pads there will be a drastic change in the sound that you're accustomed to. And it's usually a change for the worse in my experience.

Sep 16, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #1,897 of 2,440
its been a good solid, 6 months since ive had my z7m2. and honestly idk why people hate on this can. its great ! very very enjoyable :) i just wish the pads were replaceable. mine are still mint but im afraid it may not last like this forever :frowning2:

Sep 16, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #1,898 of 2,440
its been a good solid, 6 months since ive had my z7m2. and honestly idk why people hate on this can. its great ! very very enjoyable :) i just wish the pads were replaceable. mine are still mint but im afraid it may not last like this forever :frowning2:
But they are replaceable. There is a screw inside to unscrew and then you twist it like for the first Z7, look at this video and go straight to minute 3:00

Sep 17, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #1,899 of 2,440
Are there a lot of detractors around? I know that the MDR-Z1R has its fair share, and that's quite understandable, but the Z7M2? I haven't heard too many critical opinions, but that's probably because I was late to this party.

In any case, I'm still loving my Z7M2. :)

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #1,900 of 2,440
Are there a lot of detractors around? I know that the MDR-Z1R has its fair share, and that's quite understandable, but the Z7M2? I haven't heard too many critical opinions, but that's probably because I was late to this party.

In any case, I'm still loving my Z7M2. :)

I'm not the biggest fan of it, but it's not awful. Main problem are the 3 treble peaks, and the fact that many thought these were gonna be bass monsters on account of its size.

Sep 17, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #1,901 of 2,440
Well, they're not bass monsters just because, but if the song calls it, they can be.

I like that.

Sep 17, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #1,902 of 2,440
Well, they're not bass monsters just because, but if the song calls it, they can be.

I like that.

It''s quite objectively clear in its frequency response that it's not a bass monster. Now, it never claimed it is, but there's much better headphones out there if you're looking for a bass monster.

Its misreputation as a bass monster was due to several posters who didn't even own the headphones then and hyped the living hell out of it by regurgitating marketing material.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #1,903 of 2,440
Oh there would definitely be a change in sound. Even if you went from well worn stock pads to brand new stock pads there will be a drastic change in the sound that you're accustomed to. And it's usually a change for the worse in my experience.

In 100mm https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33057605882.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4c114c4dwTTEGm
These pads make it a bit warmer and wider but it still retains most of the sound.

I'm not the biggest fan of it, but it's not awful. Main problem are the 3 treble peaks, and the fact that many thought these were gonna be bass monsters on account of its size.

Supposedly the removal of the 1st layer of paper behind center of driver eliminates that, no complaints so far but the lambskins had already helped even it out a bit. I did put stock pads back on and it seemed better, less picky on tracks. I also have unicorn tail in there, wish I had a minidsp earrs to show how the mods change it. I might actually get one off a guy I know and report back.

Sep 17, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #1,904 of 2,440
It''s quite objectively clear in its frequency response that it's not a bass monster. Now, it never claimed it is, but there's much better headphones out there if you're looking for a bass monster.

Its misreputation as a bass monster was due to several posters who didn't even own the headphones then and hyped the living hell out of it by regurgitating marketing material.

Bass monsters, not really. I think they are reasonable accurate especially modded but If the track has it then they will hit pretty darn hard. Another thing I found is high gain on the 789 is what gets the bass kicking. I have a Matrix Audio HPA-3B which is a class-A amp and again in high gain it is even better for emphasisisng the bass than the 789.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back