Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Oct 12, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #1,921 of 2,440
Yeah I asked a bit of a redundant question but I am looking for a single pair of headphones that I’ll use for a long time. My friend has the Z7M2 and I tried them very briefly and really liked them for the music I listened to. Dunno why people are so mixed on them on YouTube and the like. Thanks for the answer.

If you like them, then they're fine. Seriously, who cares what others think?

I personally am ambivalent for the original price, but at a discounted price they're not half bad at all.

Oct 12, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #1,923 of 2,440
Good afternoon
I have a question about convenience.

I listen to music both in Flac and Mp3 in a relation of 50% 50%.

Can I buy and use the same headphone z7m2 for both mp3 and Flac files or should buy different headphones?

I am also planning to buy a dac.

Thanks.
You'd be hard-pressed to distinguish differences between high-bit-rate MP3 and FLAC; they sound almost identical. The MDR-Z7M2, or whichever headphone you use, will play media of both file types equally well. Like @dazzerfong mentioned, you should only consider a new headphone if you want a different sound.

Oct 12, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #1,924 of 2,440
You'd be hard-pressed to distinguish differences between high-bit-rate MP3 and FLAC; they sound almost identical. The MDR-Z7M2, or whichever headphone you use, will play media of both file types equally well. Like @dazzerfong mentioned, you should only consider a new headphone if you want a different sound.

Thanks for your answers @dazzerfong and @Malevolent. In fact, I already ordered my Z7M2 based on your answers. It arrives tomorrow.

Oct 12, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #1,925 of 2,440
Thanks for your answers @dazzerfong and @Malevolent. In fact, I already ordered my Z7M2 based on your answers. It arrives tomorrow.

You might also want to try this:

https://www.asus.com/Headphones-Headsets/ROG-Delta-S/

It has a AI powered detachable noise canceling mic. If you fancy, you can also try the Asus Theta 7.1, it has 4 drivers in each earcup. It's true that we only have two ears but how the sound bounces into your ear affects spatial cues, and I think gaming is one of the best use cases for 7.1, unless you're a home theater person.

I got the z7m2 cause I wanted a single headphone and I don't play games. If I were to play spatial awareness games, then I'd definitely get the Theta 7.1 ($300) or something of the like. It's just too much value compared to the z7m2.

Oct 13, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #1,926 of 2,440
You might also want to try this:

https://www.asus.com/Headphones-Headsets/ROG-Delta-S/

It has a AI powered detachable noise canceling mic. If you fancy, you can also try the Asus Theta 7.1, it has 4 drivers in each earcup. It's true that we only have two ears but how the sound bounces into your ear affects spatial cues, and I think gaming is one of the best use cases for 7.1, unless you're a home theater person.

I got the z7m2 cause I wanted a single headphone and I don't play games. If I were to play spatial awareness games, then I'd definitely get the Theta 7.1 ($300) or something of the like. It's just too much value compared to the z7m2.

What you just said is wrong. You have a HRTF which takes care of that issue in the form of binaural audio. Every headphone that has more than 1 driver is crap. Problem is that there's not enough space to accurately portray the cues.

Don't believe me? Look up binaural audio, specifically this:

Oct 13, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #1,927 of 2,440
What you just said is wrong. You have a HRTF which takes care of that issue in the form of binaural audio. Every headphone that has more than 1 driver is crap. Problem is that there's not enough space to accurately portray the cues.

Don't believe me? Look up binaural audio, specifically this:

Yeah I know about this, but it's left-right space, not vertical space. The ridges in your ear are responsible for vertical cues, if you were to put putty in your ear ridges, you'd lose out on the ability to determine vertical spatial cues. With separate drivers, it seems like it's much more likely to bounce separate sound waves to the ears compared to one driver. Sony's 360 audio does this in some way with 2 drivers, but requires the sound file to be recorded with 360 audio in mind. Similarly, 7.1 / gaming audio is a different type of audio compared to stereo, which leads me to believe that it will be able to produce more spatial cues.

It's very nice of Asus to be trying new things, 4 drivers in headphones seems awesome, akin to the multiple drivers in iems for handling different types of frequencies. Asus also talks about how their competitors use 5 drivers in each headphone, so this isn't some gimmick only done by Asus to stand out.

Oct 13, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #1,928 of 2,440
Yeah I know about this, but it's left-right space, not vertical space. The ridges in your ear are responsible for vertical cues, if you were to put putty in your ear ridges, you'd lose out on the ability to determine vertical spatial cues. With separate drivers, it seems like it's much more likely to bounce separate sound waves to the ears compared to one driver. Sony's 360 audio does this in some way with 2 drivers, but requires the sound file to be recorded with 360 audio in mind. Similarly, 7.1 / gaming audio is a different type of audio compared to stereo, which leads me to believe that it will be able to produce more spatial cues.

It's very nice of Asus to be trying new things, 4 drivers in headphones seems awesome, akin to the multiple drivers in iems for handling different types of frequencies. Asus also talks about how their competitors use 5 drivers in each headphone, so this isn't some gimmick only done by Asus to stand out.

Watch the video: it literally has clippers go around and over your head. You can, with decent headphones and the correct HRTF for you, reproduce every single spatial cue with just 2 drivers.

Multiple drivers in headphones are not a new thing. It's very different from multiple drivers in IEMs so that comparison's moot: multiple drivers in IEMs try to cover different frequency ranges (as you say), whereas this is trying to mimic (very poorly) surround sound. Problem is each driver in these headphones has to produce a full frequency response range. Weren't Have you tried multiple driver headphones? They're absolute garbage.

For gaming, there are techniques to produce said binaural audio so it's a moot point. Dolby Atmos comes to mind, by using object-based sound (in supported games) then applying a HRTF to it to convert it into binaural audio. Multiple drivers are not the way to do it. Or, if a game doesn't do this, grab your surround sound, apply a HRTF to convert it into binaural audio.

Why am I laying into this? Because there's a lot of misinformation that people chew up about multiple driver headphones, specifically in the gaming space due to ignorance.

Watch this (forgive the clickbait opening screen, but it's actually very educational for beginners):

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #1,929 of 2,440
Watch the video: it literally has clippers go around and over your head. You can, with decent headphones and the correct HRTF for you, reproduce every single spatial cue with just 2 drivers.

Multiple drivers in headphones are not a new thing. It's very different from multiple drivers in IEMs so that comparison's moot: multiple drivers in IEMs try to cover different frequency ranges (as you say), whereas this is trying to mimic (very poorly) surround sound. Problem is each driver in these headphones has to produce a full frequency response range. Weren't Have you tried multiple driver headphones? They're absolute garbage.

For gaming, there are techniques to produce said binaural audio so it's a moot point. Dolby Atmos comes to mind, by using object-based sound (in supported games) then applying a HRTF to it to convert it into binaural audio. Multiple drivers are not the way to do it. Or, if a game doesn't do this, grab your surround sound, apply a HRTF to convert it into binaural audio.

Why am I laying into this? Because there's a lot of misinformation that people chew up about multiple driver headphones, specifically in the gaming space due to ignorance.

Watch this (forgive the clickbait opening screen, but it's actually very educational for beginners):

I've listened to this. The vertical queues really do work. It's awesome.

Oct 16, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #1,930 of 2,440
I had both z7 & z7m2, and I think the z7 had more recessed trebles issue.
The stock z7m2 sounds balanced to me.

It is fair, as they both are similar in performance, with different signature.

The Denon costs more, and in stock form has a bit less trebles than the sony, but with a great natural tone.

The Sony in stock form has nice smooth & slightly larger soundstage.
:)
I've got the Z7M2s and the D7200, both stock. I'm interested that you say both are similar in performance because I would say that the denons have better technicalities. At least their bass is tighter and more impactful and they are more resolving.
What mods have you done on the sonys?

Oct 18, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #1,931 of 2,440
Experience after 2 weeks

amazing sound after 2 weeks. Completely different sound to the first day. Z7m2

So happy that I can listen to music for hours. They are 100% fatigueless. This aspect by itself is amazing. There might be better headphones. However, I love the idea of listening to music for 6 hours with my ears fresh.

The sound quality is also superior to $200-400 headphones.

The isolation is standard for closed black headphones. Enough for me.

And I have never sweated with these z7m2. The opposite is with my 1000xm3 which make me sweat.

Better, there might be. However, happy I am.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #1,932 of 2,440
can anyone tell me how the sound stage and imaging compare to the MDR-Z1R please? are they both just as good or not as good as the z1r?

also is the frequency response relatively the same on both this and the z1r?

and is the place were you ear goes in the same shape and size as the z1r?

and is it true you can not take off the pads and easily replace them like you can on the z1r? i have read mixed reports on this

i have the hd 800 s which i eq and they are a great and i have no issues with them and would like just as good sound quality and a good sound stage/ image in a closed back because i got lucky and ordered the new rtx 3080 fe form nvidida's site back when they were still selling them direct, but when i play games in 4k which is the majority of the time i use the headphones as i use them for gaming and music and everything else, and the fans on the video card get up to around 2500 rpm sometimes and the noise is extremely distracting/annoying when i use open back headphones like my hd 800 s

for reference i was able to spend a good amount of time with the z1r and i loved them and even preferd them for dance music over my eq'ed hd 800 s which is the main type of music i listen to and had no complaints for what i use them for and found them great for gaming, and if the mdr-z7m2 is kind of close to them then i might get them instead to save money as i am selling my lcd-2 c since i grealty prefer the hd 800 s and i no longer use them since they are to heavy and clamp to hard which make my glasses feel weird, and that would almost cover the entire cost of the mdr-z7m2

please and thanks

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #1,933 of 2,440
can anyone tell me how the sound stage and imaging compare to the MDR-Z1R please? are they both just as good or not as good as the z1r?

also is the frequency response relatively the same on both this and the z1r?

and is the place were you ear goes in the same shape and size as the z1r?

and is it true you can not take off the pads and easily replace them like you can on the z1r? i have read mixed reports on this

i have the hd 800 s which i eq and they are a great and i have no issues with them and would like just as good sound quality and a good sound stage/ image in a closed back because i got lucky and ordered the new rtx 3080 fe form nvidida's site back when they were still selling them direct, but when i play games in 4k which is the majority of the time i use the headphones as i use them for gaming and music and everything else, and the fans on the video card get up to around 2500 rpm sometimes and the noise is extremely distracting/annoying when i use open back headphones like my hd 800 s

for reference i was able to spend a good amount of time with the z1r and i loved them and even preferd them for dance music over my eq'ed hd 800 s which is the main type of music i listen to and had no complaints for what i use them for and found them great for gaming, and if the mdr-z7m2 is kind of close to them then i might get them instead to save money as i am selling my lcd-2 c since i grealty prefer the hd 800 s and i no longer use them since they are to heavy and clamp to hard which make my glasses feel weird, and that would almost cover the entire cost of the mdr-z7m2

please and thanks

The Z1R and Z7M2 are more akin to semi-closed than closed headphones. Correspondingly, the sensation of soundstage is greater than a normal closed back, but if you got a screaming GPU it won't do much.

Can always go to the dark side and watercool the GPU: that's what I eventually did to deal with the computer noise :wink:

Oct 22, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #1,934 of 2,440
The Z1R and Z7M2 are more akin to semi-closed than closed headphones. Correspondingly, the sensation of soundstage is greater than a normal closed back, but if you got a screaming GPU it won't do much.

Can always go to the dark side and watercool the GPU: that's what I eventually did to deal with the computer noise :wink:
thanks, would say the Z1R and Z7M2 isolate about the same amount then? when i had the Z1R briefly, i imagine that would be more then enough for my gpu fan issue

and in terms of how they sound, would you say the 2 headphones are greatly different from each other?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back