Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Aug 12, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #1,831 of 2,453
I think you guys do way too much eq. Are you trying to fly to the moon with +17db lol????

Definitely your note enjoying what sony intended this headphones for.

I really like them as they are and with 1a there is a nice synergy it makes rumbly bass, not bass head but it has quality tuning done.

More I let them play more I feel the sound performance is improving. They are made to be natural and fatigue free for hours of listen. You Definitely overkilling it with so much bass eq.

Mine are closing in near the 300 hours soon

Who are you to judge how we're supposed to be using our headphones? If that's what he enjoys it with, so be it. Better than spending $1000 on cables to get less than a 0.1 dB change in FR.

Dang those are too expensive for me currently. Thanks for the input! I definitely know that I'll be sticking to the mh755 for iems for the near future. Perhaps I could EQ the m7 but BA drivers don't have as much punch as BA, I've heard. When I'm at a desk I'll definitely be sticking with the z7m2

It's a hard one to juggle. While an individual BA might (and I'm very careful with this statement) have less bass 'air' than a dynamic, it's ultimately a stereotype in the end.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #1,832 of 2,453
Who are you to judge how we're supposed to be using our headphones? If that's what he enjoys it with, so be it. Better than spending $1000 on cables to get less than a 0.1 dB change in FR.

It's a hard one to juggle. While an individual BA might (and I'm very careful with this statement) have less bass 'air' than a dynamic, it's ultimately a stereotype in the end.

Oh well you took it as a judgment while it was my simple opinion. I do think eqing over 10 db is beyond normal. I dont see this being a good sign maybe your right he got the wrong headphones 🤷‍♂️

Dont see why you talking about cables. But kimber kable will improve sq on these z7m2 but probably not in a way that you are looking for it to get to.

This is not the bass head headphones!

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #1,833 of 2,453

Correct - contrary to those who believe the 70mm driver gives a 'massive' sound, it actually does not and is not tuned by Sony that way.

Give the Fostex TH900 a try if you want butt-kicking bass. Caveat is that it's almost double the price :frowning2:

Thanks for listening! I've tried my earphones on this song and it sounds very distorted and dissonant too so I'm assuming that's not the fault of my z7m2.

@Vitaly2017, I think you're really missing out by not EQing. I've added a Low Shelf filter at 75Hz for +19db as well as trying out some of Dazzer's EQ settings and it sounds much more fun for what I like, lots of rumble. I'm still changing it every day

@newworld666 (Thanks so much!) recently let oratory1990 borrow his pair to to measure, and he's released his measurements and Harman Target EQ! Oratory said there probably was out of phase behavior at the dips post EQ. Check it out below! It's a great start to start EQing from.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fm2x32eu1a0ujpa/Sony MDR-Z7M2.pdf?dl=0

p.png

Text version of filters:
Band #Filter TypeFrequency (hz)Gain (db)Q-FactorBW
1Peak85-1.52.00.71
2Low shelf1055.50.71
3Low shelf200-5.70.71
4Peak390-0.91.31.08
5Peak12501.32.00.71
6Peak2150-3.61.70.84
7Peak3240-9.35.00.29
8Peak43007.00.52.54
9Peak5800-8.24.00.36
10Peak8600-7.64.00.36

If you're on mac and AUNBandEQ, use Parametric filter type instead of Peak. It's the same thing just worded different. For width, use BW.

Happy listening! I'm super happy with my purchase. They are so comfortable, and respond to sub-bass EQ very well. They aren't perfect, but they'll always be my first love. I love how I can be aware of my surroundings as well.

In addition to silica bags, I'd add that you should store it in a pillow protector instead of a dust bag from amazon. Bags made from cotton shed a lot of fibers which you don't want to find inside your headphones. Get something made with polyester or nylon, I'd recommend the blue one from Allerease and toss some silica bags in that. Hang it off the side your table, and put all your wires and headphone in there. Or put it in a drawer or something.

Gave that filter a try, and I gotta say I'm not a fan of it. Then again, I'm not a fan of Harman anyway so that's not too surprising. Too little sub-bass, and too much mid-bass.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #1,834 of 2,453
Oh well you took it as a judgment while it was my simple opinion. I do think eqing over 10 db is beyond normal. I dont see this being a good sign maybe your right he got the wrong headphones 🤷‍♂️

Dont see why you talking about cables. But kimber kable will improve sq on these z7m2 but probably not in a way that you are looking for it to get to.

The Z7M2 does not have a lot of bass, in comparison with some of the heavy hitters, but what it has is good bass. As someone who loves a lot of the low-end rumble (I'm an avowed basshead), I very much enjoy the lows on the Z7M2. It tones down the massive hump of the Z1R, and presents slam in a more nuanced fashion. Not every basshead is looking for a +15db hump; for those who enjoy quality lows, the Z7M2 is a great contender.

Aug 13, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #1,835 of 2,453
The Z7M2 does not have a lot of bass, in comparison with some of the heavy hitters, but what it has is good bass. As someone who loves a lot of the low-end rumble (I'm an avowed basshead), I very much enjoy the lows on the Z7M2. It tones down the massive hump of the Z1R, and presents slam in a more nuanced fashion. Not every basshead is looking for a +15db hump; for those who enjoy quality lows, the Z7M2 is a great contender.

That is exactly what I love about z7m2 they are quality and natural in sound. They had not the best in class nuances but man you can definitely feel it and easily distinguish them.

I am all about quality/ performance first rather quantity/amounts.

Z7m2 + wm1a offers a very natural easy pleasant sound experience and when bass is present it will deliver a nice gentle rumble with mass. I like that 😊🙃

Aug 13, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #1,836 of 2,453
That is exactly what I love about z7m2 they are quality and natural in sound. They had not the best in class nuances but man you can definitely feel it and easily distinguish them.

I am all about quality/ performance first rather quantity/amounts.

Z7m2 + wm1a offers a very natural easy pleasant sound experience and when bass is present it will deliver a nice gentle rumble with mass. I like that 😊🙃
I love both the Z7M2 and MDR-Z1R. Both serve different purposes and appreciate them both for their different approaches. I will be switching back to the Z7M2 tomorrow

Aug 13, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #1,837 of 2,453
I've had my Z7M2s for a while now and I'm liking them more and more. They are supremely comfortable. Some headphones are comfortable in that they don't cause any pain, but the Z7M2s seem to go beyond that and are actually comforting.
Every headphone has it's pros and cons, which is why some of us end up with so many pairs. I don't find the Z7M2s to be the most resolving, or to have the tightest, most musical bass (I find it a bit wooly), but I like the overall sound signature, and there don't seem to be any annoying resonances. They're also quite wide sounding for a closed-back. Then there's the comfort. I even find that they stay on my head quite well when I work out - at home.

For reference, my other closed backs at the moment are Denon D7200s which I find to have tighter, more musical bass, and are better at resolving detail, but they seem to have more resonances. This makes them very good for some types of music, but the Sonys are cleaner sounding in the mids.

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #1,838 of 2,453

Could I see your EQ for the z7m2? I believe maybe it's my MacBook pro source that forces my hand to crank bass up +15db. That's all to match the default mh755's sub bass response.

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #1,839 of 2,453
Could I see your EQ for the z7m2? I believe maybe it's my MacBook pro source that forces my hand to crank bass up +15db. That's all to match the default mh755's sub bass response.

You been talking so much about eq that I just did eq mine just to tell you what I feel.

With eq I did + 10 db at 31 hz and +5.5 at 62hz on my wm1a.
It becomes a bassy beast no distortion and its very fun and pleasant. It also makes them warmer overall tonally. Which makes vocals more charming and warm.
SunBass is rumbly but not to a point crack your skull lol. Just bassy.
Dont seems to lise details either. So they can take eq if you like them so.

Going back to eq less they sound dull and thin hehe

Aug 13, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #1,840 of 2,453
I've had my Z7M2s for a while now and I'm liking them more and more. They are supremely comfortable. Some headphones are comfortable in that they don't cause any pain, but the Z7M2s seem to go beyond that and are actually comforting.
Every headphone has it's pros and cons, which is why some of us end up with so many pairs. I don't find the Z7M2s to be the most resolving, or to have the tightest, most musical bass (I find it a bit wooly), but I like the overall sound signature, and there don't seem to be any annoying resonances. They're also quite wide sounding for a closed-back. Then there's the comfort. I even find that they stay on my head quite well when I work out - at home.

For reference, my other closed backs at the moment are Denon D7200s which I find to have tighter, more musical bass, and are better at resolving detail, but they seem to have more resonances. This makes them very good for some types of music, but the Sonys are cleaner sounding in the mids.
The new Denon headphones are masters are producing a lot of quality bass, IMO. They've certainly inherited the excellent traits that were present in the famed Denon DX000 line, such as the D7000. In the new series, the D9200 has less of a mid-bass hump than the D7200, but the texture and layering in the lower registers are quite spectacular.

With that said, I'm in agreement with the comfort levels on the Z7M2; this and the Z1R are supremely comfortable headphones for extended listening.

Aug 13, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #1,841 of 2,453
I don't EQ my headphones; or at least, I don't use a software-based equalizer. I have a Schiit Loki that's connected to my main system, so I'll adjust the mid-bass, if and when necessary.

Aug 13, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #1,842 of 2,453
ok so after a long day of listening I set the eq less high and it sounds amazingly good!

Now the Z7M2 is a new beast ! Tremendous rumble, big bass impact and warmer and musical now! No more neutral flat sounding.
After eq is now so hard to go back to normal without the new eq just wow.

All I did is use eq inside my 1a and I boosted 31hz to +6.5db and 62hz to +3db no need more and no need to eq other frequencies I love it that way.

Massive rumbly bass! Lots of fun with Z7M2 now.

Aug 13, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #1,844 of 2,453
You should try a low shelf filter instead of two peak filters, makes it more even. Or what I like to do is low filter at something like 75hz and a peak at 20hz. Happy listening everybody :)

I cannot eq bellow 31 hz on wm1a lol. It show minimum 31 and max 16k 🤷‍♂️
Its a curve so it does lift the lower frequencies below it 4 db for sure

Aug 14, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #1,845 of 2,453
@XM3orZ7m2

Looking at your posts since your Z7M2s arrived, I feel you're overthinking the situation you find yourself in with respect to the Z7M2s' sound.

I think all Z7M2 owners who provided feedback to you even prior to you ordering your unit have more or less said the same thing about the Z7M2s' sound signature, particularly its "lack" of bass wallop, especially with respect to the original Z7s. Although the Z7M2s are highly sensitive to EQ'ing, I belong to the school of thought that headphones are better left as is; adopting this mindset works two ways (at least for me): first, this respects the design and tuning intent of the engineers behind the product and, second, it allows me to have a better appreciation of other products in the market, regardless of my sentiments to such products vis-a-vis my listening preferences.

I hope you don't get the wrong idea with my post: I just want to highlight that one's headphone journey comprises numerous hit-or-miss moments, that we continuously recalibrate our listening preferences and expectations, and that there is nothing wrong with moving on from products that ultimately do not fit such preferences and expectations. Most times, getting another product saves us time, effort and money than trying all permutations to make a product fit our preferences and expectations. During my earlier years in the hobby, I've found myself a lot of times in the latter; in the same vein, those experiences helped shape who I am right now as a hobbyist, including a path leading to the Z7M2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back