Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Aug 14, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #1,846 of 2,453
By far, and for decades, I prefer to equilize as there is almost no chance that a cable, amp or dac can correct anything exactly where it should be corrected..

And my Z2M2 has almost no low frequencies issues and a bit missing some level in the 4Khz ..
Nowadays, Neutron became my only DAC + PEQ (Windows & Android) and it's easy to adapt things to my taste ans do A/B control.
I can also control after EQ that THD is not degraded in any frequency ranges (mini Dsp ears).

Z7M2 is rather easy to improve with some little PEQ adjustments.

Aug 14, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #1,847 of 2,453
@XM3orZ7m2

Looking at your posts since your Z7M2s arrived, I feel you're overthinking the situation you find yourself in with respect to the Z7M2s' sound.

I think all Z7M2 owners who provided feedback to you even prior to you ordering your unit have more or less said the same thing about the Z7M2s' sound signature, particularly its "lack" of bass wallop, especially with respect to the original Z7s. Although the Z7M2s are highly sensitive to EQ'ing, I belong to the school of thought that headphones are better left as is; adopting this mindset works two ways (at least for me): first, this respects the design and tuning intent of the engineers behind the product and, second, it allows me to have a better appreciation of other products in the market, regardless of my sentiments to such products vis-a-vis my listening preferences.

I hope you don't get the wrong idea with my post: I just want to highlight that one's headphone journey comprises numerous hit-or-miss moments, that we continuously recalibrate our listening preferences and expectations, and that there is nothing wrong with moving on from products that ultimately do not fit such preferences and expectations. Most times, getting another product saves us time, effort and money than trying all permutations to make a product fit our preferences and expectations. During my earlier years in the hobby, I've found myself a lot of times in the latter; in the same vein, those experiences helped shape who I am right now as a hobbyist, including a path leading to the Z7M2.

There's a reason everyone keeps saying 'try before you buy'.

Aug 14, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #1,848 of 2,453
I'm still very happy with my purchase. If they didn't take to EQ, that'd be another story. Semi open headphones that I could use in the office, with a modern build and comfort for around $400 and drive able without amp and able to have sub-bass rumble leave very few headphones to choose from. I'm glad they went on sale when they did haha

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #1,849 of 2,453
Since this thread I've been toying around with EQ the last couple days on the Z7M2. And I must say it does take well to it. Does anyone have presets I could somehow drop into Foobar easily? How does that work?

Aug 15, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #1,851 of 2,453
Good thing about this headphones is you can tune them to any mode you want they take it easily 🙂

Aug 18, 2020 at 3:47 AM Post #1,853 of 2,453
Wow I can comfortably listen with on my google pixel 3 with usb-c to 3.5mm dongle. Who knew 56ohms was driveable on mobile phones

The higher it is, the easier it is to drive in terms of current. It's sensitivity which governs how much power it needs.

Aug 18, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #1,855 of 2,453
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-mdr-z7m2-headphone-thread.886123/post-15799592

That one is from oratory1990, Dazzer and vitaly both dropped their EQ in the past few pages. The only difference from mine and the one listed above is that I removed the shelf at 105hz, and replaced it with one at 75hz and with +14db for rumble.

I tried those Oratory1990 PEQ parameters today !!!! which are based on my personal Z7M2 .... I have never really used Low or High Shelf in my PEQ parameters before, but I found those results really good with Oratory1990 parameters as it is.
I think it's worth to take those and adapt them a bit to fit to our own taste like you did.

Aug 18, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #1,856 of 2,453
Since this thread I've been toying around with EQ the last couple days on the Z7M2. And I must say it does take well to it. Does anyone have presets I could somehow drop into Foobar easily? How does that work?

Unfortunately, I am not sure there is an easy way for a Parametric Equalizer in foorbar.. I gave up and use Neutron for windows as dlna renderer for foobar..

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #1,857 of 2,453
Amperage = Voltage / Ohms, shouldn't that mean that the higher it is, the harder it is to have the voltage it needs to reach a certain amperage?

How loud a headphone is isn't centred around just current, but also voltage too. That's why we use power (watts) to express how loud a headphone can get.

Sensitivity is the number that determines how hard it is to drive (i.e. how much power it takes): impedance determines the balance between current and voltage.

If you're mathematically inclined:

Voltage = Current x Resistance
Power = Voltage x Current

An amp (or source) is limited by either voltage or current. If you could put out 1 V @ 1 mW maximum, that means it can output a maximum of 1 mA. However, if you need 1 W for your headphones but your impedance is 100 Ohms, you'll need a current of 10 mA to facilitate 1W: however, your source (outputting a maximum of 1 mA) can't supply it and therefore it'll be considered underpowered.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #1,859 of 2,453
I just bought this Sony and have spent a few days listening to it out of my dragonfly cobalt. I also own the HD600 and Shure 1540.

Before buying, I tested it against the Beyer t5p and Focal Elegia but ended up choosing the Sony for its laid back warm sound.

Now to the subject of the z7m2 vocals and midrange. I find the midrange to be fairly smooth and natural sounding with vocals. It's true that female vocals and less deep male focal do feel slightly in the background, but the effect is nothing like some of the strong v shaped headphones out there.

Also on the point of male vocals, I actually find males with deeper voices (like with a lot of hip hop music) don't suffer from the dip in the upper mids to lower treble.

When comparing against other headphones, I found deep male vocals to be extremely powerful and full of character.

Also out of all the headphones I've tried recently, to my ears the sonys and shure 1540 both have extremely natural voice reproduction.

I've heard people say the vocals are pulled back, boxy, honky and unnatural. At least to my ears, I did not notice this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back