Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Aug 10, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #1,816 of 2,453
You're not hearing anything at 2Hz, it's distortion from the applet. Also, most DACs have a HPF at around 10-20Hz, so even if the headphones are capable of it, you won't hear it anyway.

How long have you had the Z7M2s for?

I just got them last week, so for a bout 8 days now... My burn in is complete they reached 200 hour just today!

As I was saying I wasnt happy with my z7m2 for the first 4 days. I found them not precise in sound they where hazy a little. Now things changed I feel more details sharpness and things are very good now. I like them more and definitely will work my way toward a biffier amp as they beg for it!

I dont do eq, I did try with 1a they dont seem to like it at all, they get dis configured in sound balance. I like them as they are! Its a perfect balance between long listening sessions and fatigue free. I wish they where slightly more musical as they seem to be very neutral as tuning, 1a is also neutral so neutral + neutral is very neutral lol

Aug 10, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #1,817 of 2,453
I just got them last week, so for a bout 8 days now... My burn in is complete they reached 200 hour just today!

As I was saying I wasnt happy with my z7m2 for the first 4 days. I found them not precise in sound they where hazy a little. Now things changed I feel more details sharpness and things are very good now. I like them more and definitely will work my way toward a biffier amp as they beg for it!

I dont do eq, I did try with 1a they dont seem to like it at all, they get dis configured in sound balance. I like them as they are! Its a perfect balance between long listening sessions and fatigue free. I wish they where slightly more musical as they seem to be very neutral as tuning, 1a is also neutral so neutral + neutral is very neutral lol

I used them with a fiio m11pro and i like the sound... I am sure that with an desk amp will be better but I only have daps. I use more often the z7 in my opinion easier to drive.

Aug 10, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #1,818 of 2,453
Can someone give this song a listen?:

Does the beginning 20 seconds seem really exceptionally dissonant or is that what the song is supposed to sound like. Sounds pretty weird to me, but maybe it's supposed to be like that and I'm only now discovering it due to my upgrade

Aug 10, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #1,819 of 2,453

Does the beginning 20 seconds seem really exceptionally dissonant or is that what the song is supposed to sound like. Sounds pretty weird to me, but maybe it's supposed to be like that and I'm only now discovering it due to my upgrade

Sorry I can't see the picture, can you please tell me the name and artist?

Regards!

Aug 10, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #1,820 of 2,453
Sorry I can't see the picture, can you please tell me the name and artist?

Regards!

JPB & Mendum - Feelings: here's a youtube link for convenience: link here:)

I'm loving the comfort of the z7m2 so far. I'm really happy with my purchase overall :)

I put a big parameterized filter on 20hz to boost the rumble, and it's pretty awesome. I can't wait for oratory1990 and autoEQ to release their parameterized EQ and autoEQ's version.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #1,821 of 2,453

I hear a lot of distortion in the beginning, but yes, it sounds very echo-y.

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #1,822 of 2,453
Thanks for listening! I've tried my earphones on this song and it sounds very distorted and dissonant too so I'm assuming that's not the fault of my z7m2.

@Vitaly2017, I think you're really missing out by not EQing. I've added a Low Shelf filter at 75Hz for +19db as well as trying out some of Dazzer's EQ settings and it sounds much more fun for what I like, lots of rumble. I'm still changing it every day

@newworld666 (Thanks so much!) recently let oratory1990 borrow his pair to to measure, and he's released his measurements and Harman Target EQ! Oratory said there probably was out of phase behavior at the dips post EQ. Check it out below! It's a great start to start EQing from.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fm2x32eu1a0ujpa/Sony MDR-Z7M2.pdf?dl=0

p.png

Text version of filters:
Band #Filter TypeFrequency (hz)Gain (db)Q-FactorBW
1Peak85-1.52.00.71
2Low shelf1055.50.71
3Low shelf200-5.70.71
4Peak390-0.91.31.08
5Peak12501.32.00.71
6Peak2150-3.61.70.84
7Peak3240-9.35.00.29
8Peak43007.00.52.54
9Peak5800-8.24.00.36
10Peak8600-7.64.00.36

If you're on mac and AUNBandEQ, use Parametric filter type instead of Peak. It's the same thing just worded different. For width, use BW.

Happy listening! I'm super happy with my purchase. They are so comfortable, and respond to sub-bass EQ very well. They aren't perfect, but they'll always be my first love. I love how I can be aware of my surroundings as well.

In addition to silica bags, I'd add that you should store it in a pillow protector instead of a dust bag from amazon. Bags made from cotton shed a lot of fibers which you don't want to find inside your headphones. Get something made with polyester or nylon, I'd recommend the blue one from Allerease and toss some silica bags in that. Hang it off the side your table, and put all your wires and headphone in there. Or put it in a drawer or something.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #1,823 of 2,453
Holy mother of God, you EQ'd the bass by +17 dB.

Think for your next purchase, you'll be looking at either some planars or a good Fostex.

Aug 12, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #1,824 of 2,453
Haha, yeah but i don't think the stronger signal resulted in a proportionally louder sound. I couldn't get and rumble for the life of me on these headphones until I EQ'd the low shelf that high. When I did so at 105, there were a lot of long standing notes that got too annoying, when all I wanted was some thump and rumble so I adjusted the freq down to 75hz. All of this was to try and match the no EQ sub-bass response of the mh755 (highly suggest a try from kanoya@ebay for $9).

Aug 12, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #1,825 of 2,453
Fair enough, but be careful of distortion. If you have a way of checking the signal is clipping, I'd try it to see if it's actually leaking sound across the spectrum.

You had the misfortune of listening to the MH755 - one of the few IEMs that have a proper sub-bass extension, let alone for its price.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #1,826 of 2,453
haha yeah, forever a rumble chaser now. Assuming you've heard the mh755 as well, how do you think it compares with the iem-m9? I'm thinking of maybe adding an iem a year or two, hopefully when there is a m7m2 or m9m2 out by then.

What are the other iems with sub-bass extension besides the MH755s?

Aug 12, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #1,827 of 2,453
haha yeah, forever a rumble chaser now. Assuming you've heard the mh755 as well, how do you think it compares with the iem-m9? I'm thinking of maybe adding an iem a year or two, hopefully when there is a m7m2 or m9m2 out by then.

What are the other iems with sub-bass extension besides the MH755s?

IER-M9 still remains one of my favourite IEMs, despite it falling out of use as I now have customs.

- Bass is better than most BA IEMs out there
- Ridiculously comfy
- No 'plastic' texture
- Quite a neutral signature: definitely not as bassy as the MH755
- Better than Andromeda
- Ridiculously good tip selection
- Best IEM cable ever, just don't use alcohol to clean it

The only downside to it is that it's annoying in terms of fitting - while it's comfortable, if you seal too well, the bass gets sucked out of oblivion. You need to straddle the line between not sealing and sealing too much.

I got it for a very good price ($1100 AUD/$800 USD), so no complaints there. Shame I'm using it so little these days, but when I was I loved it. I generally prefer a darker signature, so it gets eked out by what I'm currently using.

That being said, looking at your tastes, I don't think it's the right one for you. Since you love bass that much, I would be looking into Empire Ears or even the IER-Z1R.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #1,828 of 2,453
I think you guys do way too much eq. Are you trying to fly to the moon with +17db lol????

Definitely your note enjoying what sony intended this headphones for.

I really like them as they are and with 1a there is a nice synergy it makes rumbly bass, not bass head but it has quality tuning done.

More I let them play more I feel the sound performance is improving. They are made to be natural and fatigue free for hours of listen. You Definitely overkilling it with so much bass eq.

Mine are closing in near the 300 hours soon

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #1,829 of 2,453
Dang those are too expensive for me currently. Thanks for the input! I definitely know that I'll be sticking to the mh755 for iems for the near future. Perhaps I could EQ the m7 but BA drivers don't have as much punch as BA, I've heard. When I'm at a desk I'll definitely be sticking with the z7m2

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #1,830 of 2,453
IER-M9 still remains one of my favourite IEMs, despite it falling out of use as I now have customs.

- Bass is better than most BA IEMs out there
- Ridiculously comfy
- No 'plastic' texture
- Quite a neutral signature: definitely not as bassy as the MH755
- Better than Andromeda
- Ridiculously good tip selection
- Best IEM cable ever, just don't use alcohol to clean it

The only downside to it is that it's annoying in terms of fitting - while it's comfortable, if you seal too well, the bass gets sucked out of oblivion. You need to straddle the line between not sealing and sealing too much.

I got it for a very good price ($1100 AUD/$800 USD), so no complaints there. Shame I'm using it so little these days, but when I was I loved it. I generally prefer a darker signature, so it gets eked out by what I'm currently using.

That being said, looking at your tastes, I don't think it's the right one for you. Since you love bass that much, I would be looking into Empire Ears or even the IER-Z1R.
M9 is THE best! And you're right about the cable. Mine deteriorated at the ear hooks after normal use. Nearly 1000 hours of normal use though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back