Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
May 9, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #1,471 of 2,453
Interesting I just put these pads on it and it sounded awesome! The perforations helped with reflections and lambskin also tamed the treble.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33057605882.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2abd4c4doMFnzp

Oh so your doing something else on the driver itself? Interesting.
I need to get some.of that angel or unicorn hair for my T50'S, it's expensive stuff.

I was on the verge of selling the z7m2 and luckily these pads worked out and imo fixed most of the issues. I didn't go as far as opening up the unit as it appeared to have some kind of resin.

For some reason Joshua Valour said the pads weren't removable but they are once you remove the screw. These pads have a small lip which allows the ring to work. They are similar to Ori pads and really good quality.

I have a 110mm version on my vibrolab.

This is a great post I am reposting here and hopefully more can be posted about these nice low cost pads !

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #1,472 of 2,453
This is a great post I am reposting here and hopefully more can be posted about these nice low cost pads !

I has suggested somewhere here and I'm not sure if anyone got the pads after that. I would like to hear back from those who have got them as it definitely levels up the headphone for a mere $20-ish.

May 10, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #1,473 of 2,453
@Tsukuyomi I'm really on the fence about these! I'm so bummed I didn't get them during the B&H sale for $298 in December 2019 and can't really justify paying $600 for them now. I think I'll wait to see Sony release their other headphones, while I wait for a sale for the Z7M2. Maybe the XM4 will be a better bang for buck since they'll be more future proof. A ton of places are out of stock of the Z7M2 like moon audio, B&H, adorama, and the sony recommended Crutchfield, so I don't have a choice but wait either.

XM4 will probably have usb c input, hands free smart assistant integration, personalized 360 audio via ear scan, best in class noise canceling, a better microphone, built in EQ, airplane pressure equalization, S-Master built in amp, DSEE-HX upscaling, and multi-device bluetooth. Heck those are a lot of useful things packed in for half the price. Sony probably paid way more attention to the xm4 since the xm3 were such a hit. I'd say Sony probably sold less than 1000 Z7M2s, while the xm3 series are on the scale of hundreds of thousands. Don't get me wrong, I'll always adore the z7m2, but being conscious of money, especially during these times, it's hard to justify the 2 year old z7m2 over xm4 when I don't plan on getting a dedicated amp / dac.
Bluetooth headphone still have limited life as they have batteries inside them, and batteries will degrade with time. replacing them may not be as impossible as replacing the small batteries inside TWS but still not a job anyone can easily do.
Only pick the XM4 if you plan to daily use it outdoors/at office, otherwise when at home attached to your desk, it got nothing on the Z7M2.

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #1,475 of 2,453
Sony's got hit with Covid badly, a lot of their chains are slow in getting new stock, their luxury products especially are selling fast and they can't restock them for a while, even with places like Australia which used to have one of the lowest prices for Sony gears start to have their price go up after their dollar got stronger, it'd take at least a couple weeks for them to have another big discount IMO, when there's no stock to overflow there's no reason to rush on selling it.

May 11, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #1,476 of 2,453
Bluetooth headphone still have lower life as they have batteries inside them, and batteries will die one day. replacing them may not be as impossible as replacing the small batteries inside TWS but still not a job anyone can easily do.
Only pick the XM4 if you plan to daily use it outdoors, otherwise when at home attached to your desk, it got nothing on the Z7M2.

I agree Z7M2, ZMF, Audeze etc. desktop listening is different to Bluetooth for quality and experience but the XM's are good for an office if you have no DAC or amplifier and mobility.

Both have different use case but it's down to what you need. I actually love my little lypertek tevi for mobile use.

May 11, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #1,477 of 2,453
I agree Z7M2, ZMF, Audeze etc. desktop listening is different to Bluetooth for quality and experience but the XM's are good for an office if you have no DAC or amplifier and mobility.

Both have different use case but it's down to what you need. I actually love my little lypertek tevi for mobile use.

Hey, not to derail the Sony thread, but what have you been listening to/through lately? Used to see you all over the Argon thread and I'm curious what you have in your collection these days! The Z7 seems hard to get even on the used market..

May 21, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #1,478 of 2,453
Well Head-Fiers, I've done a fair amount of research on the Z7M2s, to the point of feeling like I've already bought them, but I need some further convincing to pull the trigger. The retail $600 is a bit much for me, and I'm tempted just settle for the MDR-1AM2 which is $200 to $300.

I've got the HD6XXs, HE4XXs, Meze 99 Noirs, AKG K371s and K553s. I purchased the K371s and K553s through Guitar Center and I'm planning on returning them as soon as everything opens up again here in Arizona. They were good headphones, but I found that I picked up the other three way more and there's no sense in me keeping them to collect dust. Plus, then I can recoup about $350.

I'm taking a financial peace course (Dave Ramsey if any of you have heard of him) and he basically says don't spend money you don't have. I should be saving.... but I also graduate in a few days so I'm kind of the opinion of getting myself a little (big) gift.

So... point blank, are the Z7M2s worth it? I'd be running them on a FiiO M11, don't have a dedicated amp setup and really don't feel like getting one. Are the Z7M2s significantly better than the 1AM2s - enough to justify two to three times the price?

Would you guys recommend any other headphones in the $500 to $600 range that are closed back and have, at least, the same or better build quality, comfort, and sound quality of the Z7M2s?

I've got the HD650s and HE4XXs which I really like in my open-back category. I did consider getting the Focal Elex's from Drop.com, but I'm leaning towards closed back. I'm not dying to get a new, high-end pair. The Meze 99 Noirs have been killing it for me, I just wish they we're slightly more comfortable (thicker pads and more clamping force would help with the seal) and maybe more durable (build quality is good, but both ear cups are secured by that one flexible joint which makes me nervous).

I have the Z7M2s, as well as the 1AM2s and the HD600 and HE4xx. The Z7M2s are easily the best among the lot as far overall listening enjoyment is concerned (although my MDR-SA3000 that I got NOS *might* give the Z7M2s a run for its money in terms of clarity/transparency and speed).

If you've got a decent desktop setup, then you might be able to extract more performance out of the Z7M2s over the 1AM2s (my experience with the latter, plugging them with my RNHP amp, isn't really as good as the former, since the latter experiences clipping at louder volumes; for portable use, though, I prefer using the 1AM2s due to weight considerations).

Justifying the 2x-3x price gap is an entirely subjective matter IMHO. It all boils down to how far you're going to go to enjoy the listening experience. That said, the Z7M2s are arguably among the best, if not the best, buys below the USD1.5K mark; I've tried pricier HPs from other brands and whenever I AB them against my Z7M2s I always thank my lucky stars for having had the opportunity to own them.

Hope my thoughts help.

May 21, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #1,479 of 2,453
I'm looking for some slam and warmth, but not too much. The TH-X00 were too bassy. I am currently using the Hd6xx and Auteur and find I have to increase volume to get bass impact, then midrange is too forward. I think I am sensitive to midrange and have always v-shaped stereos since I can remember. I am looking for a bit of a V-shape or recessed mids and want to use my Hiby R6 without EQ. I am even thinking of looking at IEM's. I apparently am the most wishy washy person. What's weird is sometimes the Auteur sound perfect, then sometimes there is something wrong with them that I can't quite put my finger on. Metal571 mentioned a bit forward mids with them and maybe that's it. I find I reach for the HD-6xx lately over the Auteur. Someday I hope to enjoy music with headphones instead of use music to analyze headphones. :)
Sounds like you'd be happy with the original Z7. I own both the Z7 and Z7M2 and I love them both for different reasons. The Z7 for its visceral bass slam, the Z7M2 for it's balanced yet still enjoyable presentation. The Z7 is the most fun headphone I own though and while the Z7M2 may technically be more balanced, with less bass distortions, I'll still never rid myself of the OG Z7. I go back and forth on which I like more. It really just depends on the album.

May 21, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #1,480 of 2,453
I have the Z7M2s, as well as the 1AM2s and the HD600 and HE4xx. The Z7M2s are easily the best among the lot as far overall listening enjoyment is concerned (although my MDR-SA3000 that I got NOS *might* give the Z7M2s a run for its money in terms of clarity/transparency and speed).

If you've got a decent desktop setup, then you might be able to extract more performance out of the Z7M2s over the 1AM2s (my experience with the latter, plugging them with my RNHP amp, isn't really as good as the former, since the latter experiences clipping at louder volumes; for portable use, though, I prefer using the 1AM2s due to weight considerations).

Justifying the 2x-3x price gap is an entirely subjective matter IMHO. It all boils down to how far you're going to go to enjoy the listening experience. That said, the Z7M2s are arguably among the best, if not the best, buys below the USD1.5K mark; I've tried pricier HPs from other brands and whenever I AB them against my Z7M2s I always thank my lucky stars for having had the opportunity to own them.

Hope my thoughts help.

That is super helpful!
Had the Z7M2s not been out of stock every time I went to order them, I might have pulled the trigger already.
I'm also looking at the Focal Elegia - can anybody compare the two?

May 21, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #1,481 of 2,453
That is super helpful!
Had the Z7M2s not been out of stock every time I went to order them, I might have pulled the trigger already.
I'm also looking at the Focal Elegia - can anybody compare the two?

I tried the Focal Elegias many months ago. To my ears they sounded hollow, metallic and unnatural, which I found quite surprising; having owned a pair of Focal Elears and Focal Alpha 40s (the latter nearfield monitors) before (and having tried the Clear/Clear Professional/Stellia/Utopia), I thought the Elegias didn't do justice to the Focal house sound.

IMHO, it's very hard to replicate the Z7M2s sound elsewhere; the closest I can think of would be the ZMF Aeolus (which cost 2x more relative to current street prices) but these are a bit bassier and lack the midrange clarity that the Z7M2s have.

May 21, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #1,482 of 2,453
@jaibautista , since you have the xm3 and the z7m2, could you compare the two? It definitely seems like z7m2 is your favorite by far, but I'm wondering to what degree it is over the xm3.

For $300-400, the xm4 will have so many features over the z7m2 that it's hard to justify the z7m2 over the xm4 since I don't have a great pair of headphones yet. Hands free smart assistant integration, personalized 360 audio support, bluetooth, best in class noise canceling, microphone, EQ via the app, airplane pressure equalization,, S-master built in amp, DSEE-HX upscaling, multi-device connectivity, auto anc adjustment, and simultaneous usb c input / charging. There's so much packed into the xm3/4, and it's been such a hit that Sony would pay much greater attention to it than the z7m2. The xm4 are just about to be release for $350 and they will arguably be the $350 gold standard.

So could you or anyone else who has both the xm3 and the z7m2 compare the two? It's the whole reason I created my username, haha

May 21, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #1,483 of 2,453
@jaibautista , since you have the xm3 and the z7m2, could you compare the two? It definitely seems like z7m2 is your favorite by far, but I'm wondering to what degree it is over the xm3.

For $300-400, the xm4 will have so many features over the z7m2 that it's hard to justify the z7m2 over the xm4 since I don't have a great pair of headphones yet. Hands free smart assistant integration, personalized 360 audio support, bluetooth, best in class noise canceling, microphone, EQ via the app, airplane pressure equalization,, S-master built in amp, DSEE-HX upscaling, multi-device connectivity, auto anc adjustment, and simultaneous usb c input / charging. There's so much packed into the xm3/4, and it's been such a hit that Sony would pay much greater attention to it than the z7m2. The xm4 are just about to be release for $350 and they will arguably be the $350 gold standard.

So could you or anyone else who has both the xm3 and the z7m2 compare the two? It's the whole reason I created my username, haha

Ultimately, it depends on your use case.

I only use the WH-1000XM3s when I'm outside the house, where having to deal with cables is a PITA. You're right about mentioning the features of the XM3, because all those come in handy when you're travelling, especially on the bus/train/plane.

That said, in terms of pure listening enjoyment, I would still choose the Z7M2, especially if you have the requisite audio gear to bring out its full potential. Also, the Z7M2s are a lot more comfortable (larger earcups, relatively relaxed headband clamping force).

You have to understand that the XM3s and Z7M2s are designed and marketed for different users (although you can also argue that there's some overlap). If budget is a concern for the meantime, then the XM3s will cover 75%-80% of your listening needs; the good thing about getting the XM3s is that you can use them almost everywhere. Otherwise, if you really want a serious step-up in your listening experience and have the funds/audio chain to support it, go for the Z7M2s.

P.S. This might be a controversial opinion, but I also own the WF-1000XM3s...to my ears, they sound better than the WH-1000XM3s. Not by a lot, but considering that they're a lot smaller/more portable, if I were to choose only one, I wouldn't have bought the WHs.

May 22, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #1,484 of 2,453
Ultimately, it depends on your use case.

I only use the WH-1000XM3s when I'm outside the house, where having to deal with cables is a PITA. You're right about mentioning the features of the XM3, because all those come in handy when you're travelling, especially on the bus/train/plane.

That said, in terms of pure listening enjoyment, I would still choose the Z7M2, especially if you have the requisite audio gear to bring out its full potential. Also, the Z7M2s are a lot more comfortable (larger earcups, relatively relaxed headband clamping force).

You have to understand that the XM3s and Z7M2s are designed and marketed for different users (although you can also argue that there's some overlap). If budget is a concern for the meantime, then the XM3s will cover 75%-80% of your listening needs; the good thing about getting the XM3s is that you can use them almost everywhere. Otherwise, if you really want a serious step-up in your listening experience and have the funds/audio chain to support it, go for the Z7M2s.

P.S. This might be a controversial opinion, but I also own the WF-1000XM3s...to my ears, they sound better than the WH-1000XM3s. Not by a lot, but considering that they're a lot smaller/more portable, if I were to choose only one, I wouldn't have bought the WHs.

Thanks for the reply! How much better would you say the z7m2 are for a pure listening experience?

May 22, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #1,485 of 2,453
Thanks for the reply! How much better would you say the z7m2 are for a pure listening experience?

It certainly isn't double, if we judge by their respective SRPs. It's also quite difficult to put a hard number to quantify the difference in sound. What i can say, however, are qualitative factors that favor the Z7M2 over the XM3:

+ Better comfort (because of larger pads/more relaxed headband clamping force)
+ A more balanced sound signature (while the Z7M2 are by no means neutral-sounding, they don't have that pronounced bass lift/scooped out midrange that the XM3 has)
+ More open-sounding (for a closed HP, the Z7M2 sounds open/more expansive, perhaps due to the much larger drivers/cups and better acoustic chamber design)
+ Better flexibility/modularity in terms of mixing/matching cables/DAPs/amps (this is arguable since the 3.5mm headphone connectors may not be as common; then again, XM3s aren't primarily meant for wired listening so this point might be moot)

If you're looking for an all-in-one solution, it's hard to beat the XM3's value for money. It might even be the last pair of headphones that you'll own given your needs. That said, i think the Z7M2s offer a different "value proposition", i.e., its sound punches way above its weight (and price). I've cycled through many mid-fi/borderline TOTL headphones (and had the opportunity to demo a smattering of TOTL/summit-fi headphones of varying transducer techs) and not once did i feel that the Z7M2s are lacking/deficient in sound quality that i had the urge to sell them in favor of pricier alternatives. If spending USD600 would allow you to save thousands of dollars more in the near and far future, i guess that's value for money as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back