Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
May 22, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #1,486 of 2,453
P.S. To my ears the Z7M2 sound better than the MDR-Z1R. Perhaps it's how the bass and midrange are presented by the Z7M2. Then there's the price factor; since i don't poop money every after few minutes, i can only buy what my meager budget can afford.

More than 1.5 yrs since i bought my pair (got it slightly discounted from a local audio fair; IIRC i paid ~USD640 at existing forex rates), I'm still surprised why the Z7M2s haven't exploded in popularity as a compelling sub-USD1K (even sub-USD2K) headphone option.

May 22, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #1,487 of 2,453
After getting lost in IEM world for a bit, I've returned to the MDR-Z7M2. To my shock, my tastes have changed somewhat during the ~4 month hiatus of these headphones. I actually quite enjoy the Z7M2, especially for pop. Not so much for instrumentals: the 4Khz spike still gets me at with instrumentals, but it's not quite as grating as it used to be. I can now enjoy these headphones without EQ.

To be honest, the main reason I stopped using it was comfort - for some reason, my left ear twitches a lot when I used to wear these headphones. Luckily, that doesn't happen any more so I can listen to these for much longer periods.

Still trying to get used to the isolation - compared to custom IEMs, these don't block out anywhere near as much.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #1,488 of 2,453
@dazzerfong How would you compare them to your xm3? And are they your favorite pair of headphones now? I remember first making an account to PM you about this haha. Also I was also looking at the Sony m7, but it seems like you can find the z7m2 for about the same price and I couldn't justify the higher price for iems. I can't resist the 70mm driver haha.

@jaibautista I went ahead and tried to order but it's out of stock everywhere. I think I may hold off until the xm4 are released so that the z7m2 might go on sale.

How is the breathability on these headphones? Since they don't isolate as well as IEMs they probably have some sort of air flow right?

May 22, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #1,489 of 2,453
@dazzerfong How would you compare them to your xm3? And are they your favorite pair of headphones now? I remember first making an account to PM you about this haha. Also I was also looking at the Sony m7, but it seems like you can find the z7m2 for about the same price and I couldn't justify the higher price for iems. I can't resist the 70mm driver haha.

@jaibautista I went ahead and tried to order but it's out of stock everywhere. I think I may hold off until the xm4 are released so that the z7m2 might go on sale.

How is the breathability on these headphones? Since they don't isolate as well as IEMs they probably have some sort of air flow right?

I'm less of a headphone guy and more of an IEM guy: if I have to choose between my A12t and the Z7M2, I'd choose my A12t any day of the week. But hardly fair there. If you compare to my headphones only, which consists of the XM3, HD700 and this, I'd choose the Z7M2.

Honestly, if I had to pick between the IER-M7 and this, I'd probably choose the M7. Yes, it's an IEM, but tonally it's a bit more balanced for me. I do have to give up a bit of bass extension for that though, so YMMV.

With regards to breathability, they're a lot more breathable than the XM3. XM3 heats up quite a bit for me: these ones don't.

May 22, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #1,490 of 2,453

Both can be sweaty affairs should you use them in an environment without air-conditioning. That said, the XM3s feel hotter/sweatier to the ears, though that can be a plus if you wear it outside during cold weather.

Don't worry about the Z7M2s becoming history very fast; considering Sony's track record in producing expensive headphones, it will take some time before they will release a Z7M3. I've been waiting for a WM1A successor for quite some time already; looks like I'll be stuck using them in the foreseeable future (not that I am complaining about it).

May 23, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #1,492 of 2,453

There's no reason for sony to discount the Z7M2 after WH M4 is out.
About IEM to headphone value comparison, agree that portability is a special thing IEM has, but comfort for IEM has much spottier record on fitting right than headphone IMO.

May 23, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #1,493 of 2,453
Just want to share my transportable Z7M2 setup (when I'm too lazy to sit behind the desk):

49926091301_2da4578cc4_c.jpg

Sony NW-WM1A -> DIY 4.4mm-to-kubiconn IC -> Cypher Labs Duet -> Kimber cables (SE) -> MDR-Z7M2

The Duet harkens back to that bygone era when double-/triple-stacking was the norm. Despite its seeming anachronism, however, it remains a fantastic sounding portable amp that has enough power to drive almost anything and everything under the sun (save for the truly epic Hifiman planar magnetic HPs whose sensitivities hover in the low 80s). Although what I'm doing is technically double-amping (since the WM1A doesn't have a line-out feature), the sound remains clean, exhibiting no artifacts whatsoever.

May 23, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #1,495 of 2,453
@pjones5 SALE ALERT. Focal Egalia (~$450 usd) and sony z7m2 ($400) both on sale at Adorama, ends on the 24th!

Make sure to get a price match from b&h so that you can waive the shipping! It's weird that Adorama took $300 off the Sony's (MSRP + $100), so in reality it's only $200 off. A bit misleading if you ask me, which is another reason I took my business to b&h. It's not as good as the December 2019 $298 sale from B&H, but it's good enough imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back