Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Nov 5, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #946 of 2,440
I found the Z7M2 highly picky about source, cable, power and everything else in-between. Straight out of the box with the stock cable and running from my WM1A, it sounded lifeless and lacking all precision. Once I changed to some Forza cables and plugged it into my ADI-2 DAC, the sound signature almost totally changed. I don't think they're really designed to be run from portable gear notwithstanding the specs. They need a lot of grunt and a powerful system to give them life. I wouldn't anticipate them to sound great from the ZX300 given it's lower output than the WM1A. You would need to connect to meaty external amp.

Pretty much agreed with all of this. I think the ZX300 can do an okay job powering them but they do sound a lot nicer and more open with better amplification. behind them. Not speaking about the loudness here.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #947 of 2,440
I found the Z7M2 highly picky about source, cable, power and everything else in-between. Straight out of the box with the stock cable and running from my WM1A, it sounded lifeless and lacking all precision. Once I changed to some Forza cables and plugged it into my ADI-2 DAC, the sound signature almost totally changed. I don't think they're really designed to be run from portable gear notwithstanding the specs. They need a lot of grunt and a powerful system to give them life. I wouldn't anticipate them to sound great from the ZX300 given it's lower output than the WM1A. You would need to connect to meaty external amp.
Oh yeah I did. I'm now running it from my Burson Play and it's much better. Though I enjoyed it from the ZX too.

Nov 5, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #949 of 2,440
What's the general consensus on cable material for Z7M2 - Copper / SPC / Silver? Am getting some cables at 11.11 sale

I get the best result with Norne silver plated copper...even better than Kimber Axios copper cable.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #950 of 2,440
I get the best result with Norne silver plated copper...even better than Kimber Axios copper cable.
How does a modern Sony like the Z1R or the Z7M2 compare to an old legend like the R10? I just have a hard time grasping how a headphone made in the late 80s can compete with their modern flagships.

Nov 6, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #951 of 2,440
But unlike many things, headphone and speaker doesn’t really advance THAT much technologically. The ones that did is the source player, the amplification and pathway between it and the music.

Also, convenience of its delivery, from the artist to their fans

Nov 6, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #952 of 2,440
How does a modern Sony like the Z1R or the Z7M2 compare to an old legend like the R10? I just have a hard time grasping how a headphone made in the late 80s can compete with their modern flagships.

To me the R10 is still vastly superior to anything in the market if you value sense of soundstage, spatial image, sweetness in vocal, and extend but not fatigue high. For a really well recorded music such as classical and acoustic pieces, they are transcendent. If you think the HD800 has very wide soundstage, the R10 is just as wide but has better spatial depth so it is able to create the sense of being there better. The bass output however is the R10 biggest short coming. So it doesn’t work well with genre such as classic rock or metal. So yes, it is right at the very top with the right type of music that is recorded well. The bass output can be easily solved by upgraded to a really good cable, but I am not going to do that type of a surgery knowing how delicate the R10 really are.

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #953 of 2,440
Double posted

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #954 of 2,440
Hey guys, long time Lurker of this thread. trying to keep up to date on discussions, but whats the general consensus when it comes to the Z7m2. is it worth the price of 899$?
does it sound better than the origional Z7 ? i've tried to look up reviews, ask people and check threads but everyone is saying its rubbish or not worth the price because you can get vastly better for half the price. or people would recommend headphones that are a few hundred more.

I'm interested in the Z7m2 but i dont want to throw away 900$ if the headphones arent worth their status. what do you guys think?

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #955 of 2,440
This really is the million dollar question.
I tried to answer it at some point in my audio journey then realized that it’s a moot point to try and look at proper technicalities for anything that has already been deemed a legend and discontinued. It’s true for cars, perfumes, headphones and everything else ...

You could probably find equivalent enjoyment with the stuff on the market today as you would with an r10.
I would love for forums to have been around back in r10 days so we could see what people were saying about them.

Looking at the hd800, they could be found at 750$ used at some point, it’s terrific value at that price, we’re starting to see them slowly creeping up instead of going down or stagnating. Although it may never reach r10 status given the amount of units sold, the fact that it’s discontinued has people looking.

Another one I get a feeling will be good some day is the z1r: giant dynamic drivers, amazing cup design, extreme comfort, vertical sense of space you just don’t get with most other dynamic headphones... they have weird highs in some cases but for the right tracks, it’s like riding on a cloud of sweetness ...

cheers,

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #956 of 2,440
is it worth the price of 899$?

NO! I bought a Z7M2 at full Amazon retail about a year ago and returned it after a month. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy it, it's just that $900 was literally eating at my soul. I just bought another one at a steal of a price and with that price in mind as I listen, it's become my favorite headphone.

I do very much prefer it to the OG Z7, which I still own.

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #957 of 2,440
Absolutely not worth 899$ in my opinion.
It has a similar general signature to the original z7 and the Z1R. While the level of refinements are different, given that you can pick up an original z7 used for 300~350$ and the m2 used for less than 500$ at times, I would just look for a well loved z7m1 or wait for a deal like they have in Australia on the z7m2.
The other option is to add a bit and look for a used z1r, at least that won’t depreciate as much if you decide to sell and you’ll have the finest of the bunch (although some folks like the z7m2 better)
I had a z1r which I sold and currently own a z7m1, I’m going to pick up a z1r again or a z7m2 when the price is right.

Cheers,

Hey guys, long time Lurker of this thread. trying to keep up to date on discussions, but whats the general consensus when it comes to the Z7m2. is it worth the price of 899$?
does it sound better than the origional Z7 ? i've tried to look up reviews, ask people and check threads but everyone is saying its rubbish or not worth the price because you can get vastly better for half the price. or people would recommend headphones that are a few hundred more.

I'm interested in the Z7m2 but i dont want to throw away 900$ if the headphones arent worth their status. what do you guys think?

Nov 6, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #958 of 2,440

I can't say much as I only own a few cans, but like others here I'd say $900 is rather steep asking price. $500-$600 is more sensible I think, which is what I paid for. Is it better than than the Z7? It's been a while since I've heard the original Z7s, but AFAIK the difference mostly lies in the sound signature, with the M2s sounding more balanced than the former. It's based on your own preference, really

Nov 6, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #959 of 2,440
The problem is, the only way for me to attain a new one is through amazon, and amazon sells it at $899.99 CND.
There are no used ones on the market atm in my country, and even if i imported one, either from US, AUS, JPN i'll still pay conversion, tax, import tax AND! provincial tax... which may even come out to even more than just buying new off amazon for 900+tax :frowning2:

The problem isnt that 900$+tax, the problem is, at that price point many people have said there are better cans out there.. LCD-2C closed, Focal Elegia, etc..
I do like Sony, been a fan of their audio stuff, i'm not looking for 100% neutrality or studio quality. i'm looking for something nice and fun, and i feel like the sony sound tuning on the z7m2 could be that. I've never demo'd the z7m2, but i have demo'd the Z1R and did like the sound.

Nov 6, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #960 of 2,440
The problem is, the only way for me to attain a new one is through amazon, and amazon sells it at $899.99 CND.
There are no used ones on the market atm in my country, and even if i imported one, either from US, AUS, JPN i'll still pay conversion, tax, import tax AND! provincial tax... which may even come out to even more than just buying new off amazon for 900+tax :frowning2:

The problem isnt that 900$+tax, the problem is, at that price point many people have said there are better cans out there.. LCD-2C closed, Focal Elegia, etc..
I do like Sony, been a fan of their audio stuff, i'm not looking for 100% neutrality or studio quality. i'm looking for something nice and fun, and i feel like the sony sound tuning on the z7m2 could be that. I've never demo'd the z7m2, but i have demo'd the Z1R and did like the sound.

This to my mind is a very accurate and incisive review of the Sony's - He's underrated in the YouTube headphone review world.

Why don't you just make use of Amazon's carefree return policy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back