Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Nov 2, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #931 of 2,440
Ho does the serial number work on these headphones? If I had a number of something like 7236 that doesn't mean it was the 7236th pair produced right?

Nov 3, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #932 of 2,440
Ho does the serial number work on these headphones? If I had a number of something like 7236 that doesn't mean it was the 7236th pair produced right?
I always assumed that’s what it meant, not sure though.

Nov 3, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #933 of 2,440
My Burson Play is working normally again so I was finally able to hear the Z7M2 with some actual power behind them and WOW. I really love this headphone now. Maybe I'll hate them in a month but for now I love them. I'm wondering if the pair I got a year ago was a dud or maybe this pair is "broken in" more? Kinda funny to think since I literally just posted in this very thread how I don't believe in burn-in LOL. But for whatever reason, this particular Z7M2 is resonating with me much more than the pair I had a year ago. The only difference is the Kimber Kable and I didn't have the Burson Play last year either.

Question. They say in some team sports, your team is only as good as your worst player. With that in mind, are there any benefits to be had from a fancy cable (Kimber) if you're having to use a cheapo adapter to use it with your desktop amp? Is your cable only as good as your worst adapter?

Nov 3, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #934 of 2,440
My Burson Play is working normally again so I was finally able to hear the Z7M2 with some actual power behind them and WOW. I really love this headphone now. Maybe I'll hate them in a month but for now I love them. I'm wondering if the pair I got a year ago was a dud or maybe this pair is "broken in" more? Kinda funny to think since I literally just posted in this very thread how I don't believe in burn-in LOL. But for whatever reason, this particular Z7M2 is resonating with me much more than the pair I had a year ago. The only difference is the Kimber Kable and I didn't have the Burson Play last year either.

Question. They say in some team sports, your team is only as good as your worst player. With that in mind, are there any benefits to be had from a fancy cable (Kimber) if you're having to use a cheapo adapter to use it with your desktop amp? Is your cable only as good as your worst adapter?
Speaking from my experience, the Z7 MKII is a very resolving headphones and they have response very well to each change in the chain whether more power from the amp, cable upgrade, and source/DAP upgrade. Even using highly quality headphones connectors as well. Since I discovered that the quality of the connectors matter, I have reterminated many of my headphones to either Furutech or Nonre rhodium connectors.

Nov 4, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #935 of 2,440

Friend, do not forget that you bought these headphones for $ 200, and the past you bought for $ 900 is a psychological factor that also affects very much. You also compared 7z to 1a. I have 1a and 7z too. 7z sounds much better and there is no dip in the bass. The only negative for me in 7z is more pressure on my head in the first half hour and more weight, after a while my head gets used to it. 1a more comfortable. But the ears both sweat the same.
I see you have a kimber cable, can you compare the difference with the ordinary cable that comes with the kit?

Nov 4, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #936 of 2,440
I wanted top get the original Z7 for modding purposes but ended up getting an official refurbished M2 unit for $450 posted.

Is there any popular mods like for the original?
What other 3.5mm based cables are compatible and any wiring diagrams for the connectors?
How does it stack up against Mr.Speakes, ZMF, Sennheiser's etc.?

Nov 4, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #937 of 2,440
Friend, do not forget that you bought these headphones for $ 200, and the past you bought for $ 900 is a psychological factor that also affects very much. You also compared 7z to 1a. I have 1a and 7z too. 7z sounds much better and there is no dip in the bass. The only negative for me in 7z is more pressure on my head in the first half hour and more weight, after a while my head gets used to it. 1a more comfortable. But the ears both sweat the same.
I see you have a kimber cable, can you compare the difference with the ordinary cable that comes with the kit?
You may very well be right. The price I paid could be all the difference. I do very much believe in your mood and other psychological factors affecting how you hear gear.

As far as the Kimber goes, its a 4.4 and the only 4.4 source I have is my ZX300. When I first got the headphone I did go back and forth between the two a couple times and nothing jumped out at me. But I’ve never been good at hearing differences in DAPs, cables, amps etc. Though I do hear the difference between the ZX300 and the Play. Definitely a more punchy, visceral sound signature from the Play compared to the ZX300. Now that I’ve become more acclimated with the Z7M2 I’ll have to compare the Kimber to the stock 4.4 again.

Nov 4, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #938 of 2,440
You may very well be right. The price I paid could be all the difference. I do very much believe in your mood and other psychological factors affecting how you hear gear.

As far as the Kimber goes, its a 4.4 and the only 4.4 source I have is my ZX300. When I first got the headphone I did go back and forth between the two a couple times and nothing jumped out at me. But I’ve never been good at hearing differences in DAPs, cables, amps etc. Though I do hear the difference between the ZX300 and the Play. Definitely a more punchy, visceral sound signature from the Play compared to the ZX300. Now that I’ve become more acclimated with the Z7M2 I’ll have to compare the Kimber to the stock 4.4 again.
OK. I will wait for your comparison of different cables.

Nov 4, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #939 of 2,440
Nov 4, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #940 of 2,440
OK. I will wait for your comparison of different cables.
Honestly man I wouldn't base anything off my opinion/impressions. The general consensus is that the Kimber is legit. So even if I can't hear any differences, that doesn't mean you won't hear any and it doesn't mean that there aren't any differences. I really don't have much confidence in my ears when it comes to subtle differences nor do I have confidence in my abilities to describe those differences, should I hear any to begin with.

Nov 5, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #941 of 2,440
Honestly man I wouldn't base anything off my opinion/impressions. The general consensus is that the Kimber is legit. So even if I can't hear any differences, that doesn't mean you won't hear any and it doesn't mean that there aren't any differences. I really don't have much confidence in my ears when it comes to subtle differences nor do I have confidence in my abilities to describe those differences, should I hear any to begin with.
I am not an audiophile and listen to music as a regular user. Since you say that there is no wow effect after the kimer cable and the average user will not hear the difference, then I think it makes no sense to buy.

Nov 5, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #942 of 2,440
I wanted top get the original Z7 for modding purposes but ended up getting an official refurbished M2 unit for $450 posted.

Is there any popular mods like for the original?
What other 3.5mm based cables are compatible and any wiring diagrams for the connectors?
How does it stack up against Mr.Speakes, ZMF, Sennheiser's etc.?

I use Focal Elex's cable because its shorter. 1.8m vs Sony's 3m

Nov 5, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #943 of 2,440
I use Focal Elex's cable because its shorter. 1.8m vs Sony's 3m
How would you compare the Elex with the Z7/Z7M2s, assuming you've tried them before?

Nov 5, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #944 of 2,440
I am not an audiophile and listen to music as a regular user. Since you say that there is no wow effect after the kimer cable and the average user will not hear the difference, then I think it makes no sense to buy.

at least there was no wow effect straight from the ZX300 within the first hour of me first getting the headphones. Meaning I wasn’t very acclimated with the Z7M2 either. I do intend to do another comparison though. My aural memory is not good though. In the time it takes me quickly change out the cable I’ve already forgotten how it sounded before. It doesn’t help that the ZX300 starts back at a lower volume and slowly fades up after pausing, making it even harder to compare as there’s a volume difference at first.

Nov 5, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #945 of 2,440
at least there was no wow effect straight from the ZX300 within the first hour of me first getting the headphones. Meaning I wasn’t very acclimated with the Z7M2 either. I do intend to do another comparison though. My aural memory is not good though. In the time it takes me quickly change out the cable I’ve already forgotten how it sounded before. It doesn’t help that the ZX300 starts back at a lower volume and slowly fades up after pausing, making it even harder to compare as there’s a volume difference at first.
I found the Z7M2 highly picky about source, cable, power and everything else in-between. Straight out of the box with the stock cable and running from my WM1A, it sounded lifeless and lacking all precision. Once I changed to some Forza cables and plugged it into my ADI-2 DAC, the sound signature almost totally changed. I don't think they're really designed to be run from portable gear notwithstanding the specs. They need a lot of grunt and a powerful system to give them life. I wouldn't anticipate them to sound great from the ZX300 given it's lower output than the WM1A. You would need to connect to meaty external amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back