Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Oct 29, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #901 of 2,440
Unfortunately both cable plugs not the same can't swap them just like that. Don't know your definition for big difference how big you need it to be, but I have a fewRSS ppl can't tell a difference between a 320kpbs mp3 in Bluetooth connection and a wave file with same headphone wired directly plug into same dap, I was like huh? Seriously you guys?

I'm a guy into Audiophile. If I bought a cable that do nothing, I will tell everyone who ask, coz I don't want others to be the victim of useless accessories
OK. I will then wait for reviews from other people who use kimber cable. The cable itself costs $ 200 and I would like to know for sure whether it is worth it or not.

Oct 29, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #902 of 2,440
It’s definitely pretty! As for sonic differences? Man I don’t know. Sometimes I feel like yes, sometimes I feel like meh. It’s definitely not as portable and compact as the stock 4.4 cable.
I agree, can't comment on sound as I've never owned any Kimber cables but I do wish they were shorter, as my audio setup is mainly run through my ZX300. Nice photo btw! The Z7M2s are one of the best looking headphones out there Imo

Oct 29, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #904 of 2,440
Hi Folks

anyone aware of any blue tooth bands that can be used with Z7M2. I have a Sony MMC blue tooth band but have not come across any that can work with Z7M2 / Z1R.

If anyone know of one, please guide.
AFAIK there are only Bluetooth cables for their IEMs, I don't believe they have any for their full size headphones

Oct 29, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #905 of 2,440
Oct 29, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #906 of 2,440
Do you have anything more power to drive them than the ZX300? They really come to their own with the PHA3 and above. Not even the 1Z can drive properly let alone the ZX300. You owe it to yourself to hear them with properly amplification.
I’ve got a Burson Audio Play that’s currently out of commission. I don’t have anything balanced besides the ZX though. I am looking into a new DAC/AMP. Either DX7 Pro or Monoprice Monolith.

Oct 29, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #908 of 2,440
it isn’t about the loudness you know. The PHA3 warmer and bassy to tonal balanced just seem to work really well with the Z7 M2 in my experience. zX300 is plenty loud enough but it isn’t as expansive or as layered compared to something like the PHA3 which has one of the biggest and deepest soundstaging from a portable device. I think your RME will do fine too. What I am trying to say just don’t judge the performance of the Z7 m2 from the ZX300 that’s all.

Look, not meaning to stir up trouble, but you literally just asked if he had anything with more power than the ZX300 to drive.

Things start to go awry when you literally run out of juice (current): that's when you get the telltale signs of anemic bass and poor soundstaging. You don't really get that much difference compared to the ZX300 vs the RME. It's certainly not going to make it sound from mediocre to excellent. So no, I disagree - you can 100% judge the performance of the Z7M2 from the ZX300, because if you don't like it from the ZX300, getting a better amp isn't going to transform it overnight. This isn't a HD600 where having a poor amp will literally change the entire curve of the sound.

On the other hand, juicing from my phone actually doesn't have enough power because the bass 'slam' actually disappears from my phone. Now that is insufficient power and amp matching.

Unfortunately both cable plugs not the same can't swap them just like that. Don't know your definition for big difference how big you need it to be, but I have a fewRSS ppl can't tell a difference between a 320kpbs mp3 in Bluetooth connection and a wave file with same headphone wired directly plug into same dap, I was like huh? Seriously you guys?

I'm a guy into Audiophile. If I bought a cable that do nothing, I will tell everyone who ask, coz I don't want others to be the victim of useless accessories

You should try out the Philips Golden Ear challenge then! Sounds like you're a perfect candidate for it.

Are there any big differences from a standard cable? Is it worth it to spend $ 200 per cable?

Yeah, the 4.4mm jack is much nicer and sturdier!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #909 of 2,440
Look, not meaning to stir up trouble, but you literally just asked if he had anything with more power than the ZX300 to drive.

Things start to go awry when you literally run out of juice (current): that's when you get the telltale signs of anemic bass and poor soundstaging. You don't really get that much difference compared to the ZX300 vs the RME. It's certainly not going to make it sound from mediocre to excellent. So no, I disagree - you can 100% judge the performance of the Z7M2 from the ZX300, because if you don't like it from the ZX300, getting a better amp isn't going to transform it overnight. This isn't a HD600 where having a poor amp will literally change the entire curve of the sound.

On the other hand, juicing from my phone actually doesn't have enough power because the bass 'slam' actually disappears from my phone. Now that is insufficient power and amp matching.

You should try out the Philips Golden Ear challenge then! Sounds like you're a perfect candidate for it.

Yeah, the 4.4mm jack is much nicer and sturdier!

You don’t have to believe me but your Z7 MKII can do even better. I am not looking down on the ZX300 because I have one as well and my PHA3 drive the Z7 MKII quite a bit better hence my recommendation.

What’s the point of getting better amplifiers or DAP if they all sound the same? If u want to debate this just PM me.

Oct 29, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #910 of 2,440
You don’t have to believe me but your Z7 MKII can do even better. I am not looking down on the ZX300 because I have one as well and my PHA3 drive the Z7 MKII quite a bit better hence my recommendation.

What’s the point of getting better amplifiers or DAP if they all sound the same? If u want to debate this just PM me.

I use it on my RME every day. And I'll be damned if it opens up a lot compared to the ZX300.

Your second statement is a logical fallacy, but I'll bite:

1. Noise/hiss: especially bad with IEMs like Campfire's stuff.

2. Distortion: appalling on tubes, but a lot of people like it (kinda throws the whole hi-fi definition into whack). Hell, the Z7M2 actually sounds a lot weirder (and somewhat pleasant) on it!

3. Output impedance. Again, more of a thing for IEMs, but if you have a tube amp, may apply for headphones too. If you want a more dampened bass, that's a way to play with it.

4. I/O: I literally bought my ZX300 just for the 4.4mm. Not coz of the sound, but because it's substantially beefier than the 3.5mm.

5. UI: shiny knobs. Enough said.

6. Workmanship: it's pretty.

7. Inefficient headphones. A lot of headphones can't get enough juice from the ZX300. First one that comes to mind is my brother's HD600 - you audibly lost a lot of the bass from the already weak bass. The Z7M2 IMO is not one of those, at least not on the balanced end. Single ended might leave a bit on the table though....

Back on topic, here are the sources that IMO are detrimental to the performance of the Z7M2:

Phone (S8) - too weak, bass takes a beating.
My PC output - for some reason, it thinks it's an IEM so it goes into low impedance mode. Which means there's hardly enough power to drive.

WA7: actually quite the most drastic one. On one hand, flabs the bass, but the other, calms down the mid-highs a bit.

In general, I EQ the Z7M2 around 6kHz a few decibels to make it sound more like my M9s. And, to give the 70mm drivers some fun, juice up everything before 60Hz. These cans can rumble if you give it the opportunity to and do so without distorting.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #911 of 2,440
Good for you and enjoy your RME. If you ever in Atlanta area....you can drop by any time to listen to the Z7 MKii out of my many amps. I am not going to get into this with you as I learn this lesson long ago. Relying on just an output impedance is really not my thing.

Oct 29, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #912 of 2,440
Does anyone else feel that the build of the Z7M2 is actually better than the Z7? I do! Maybe it's just the Z7 I bought? It was used. But the Z7M2 just feels more solid and its joints are just tighter. My Z7 is VERY loose.

Oct 29, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #913 of 2,440
I honestly can't believe I prefferred the 1AM2 over the Z7M2 a year ago...have my ears just evolved or was my previous Z7M2 a dud? What the hell man...

Oct 29, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #915 of 2,440
Same here, just bought my 2nd set of SONY's moments ago... my first pair are over 20 yrs old [back in the late 90's] :)
I went for that Aussie deal with the favorable exchange rate & got a new set for $299 >D
Next up will be the Z1R :L3000:

All good :ok_hand:

Z7m2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back