Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Nov 7, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #976 of 2,453
This really is the million dollar question.
I tried to answer it at some point in my audio journey then realized that it’s a moot point to try and look at proper technicalities for anything that has already been deemed a legend and discontinued. It’s true for cars, perfumes, headphones and everything else ...

You could probably find equivalent enjoyment with the stuff on the market today as you would with an r10.
I would love for forums to have been around back in r10 days so we could see what people were saying about them.

Looking at the hd800, they could be found at 750$ used at some point, it’s terrific value at that price, we’re starting to see them slowly creeping up instead of going down or stagnating. Although it may never reach r10 status given the amount of units sold, the fact that it’s discontinued has people looking.

Another one I get a feeling will be good some day is the z1r: giant dynamic drivers, amazing cup design, extreme comfort, vertical sense of space you just don’t get with most other dynamic headphones... they have weird highs in some cases but for the right tracks, it’s like riding on a cloud of sweetness ...

cheers,
Well there's actually some reviews from way back then if you look around, maybe some head fi repositories from early 2000 mentioned the R10 too? (you can find quite a few of them, just use the search func)
https://hometheaterreview.com/sony-mdr-r10-headphones-reviewed/?page=2
https://www.headphonereviews.org/headphone/Sony/MDR-R10
Its funny how people are clamoring about how "A Sony R10 has been sold y'know?" and here we are with a lot of other brands, from no name to boutique to established put out their own 2K+ gears every other day.... and the MDR-R10 itself appreciating to more than double that :floatsmile:

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #977 of 2,453
He based his review on the ZX300 using stock cable. I like the Z7 MKII a lot better than he does. We all hear a little differently and each set up may yield different results.
Yes he may only used the stock cables, but for amplification as i said before he owns a CMA 400i and are working in Minidisc. Which sells Chord Hugo TT2 down to Fiio K3. He probably tested the Z7 on many gear he got his hands at before buying one for himself.

I'm sure not everyone can always have a high end desktop Dac/Amp at hand any time they want to use a closed back 'portable' headphone.
ZX300 is good DAP which many that can buy a Z7M2 probably also own to drive it.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #978 of 2,453
He based his review on the ZX300 using stock cable. I like the Z7 MKII a lot better than he does. We all hear a little differently and each set up may yield different results.
That may be the case, but I think he gives a fair and accurate account of the Sony's irrespective of the gear used. His distinction between instrumental music and vocal based music, and his remarks on the Z7M2's soundstage, are especially true, I think.

Nov 7, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #979 of 2,453
Why not? I think they’d be fantastic. I know the Z7 is great for gaming. Even with no DSP I could very easily get directional cues in CS Go. I think the Z7M2 is even better in the soundstage department.
Yup, you might be right. Could be a generational thing. I'm still finishing Gabriel Knight, which I started in 1993, so soundstage isn't so key to me for gaming.

Nov 7, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #980 of 2,453
Haven’t gone through the linking policies so not sure if it’s safe to post a link here for another site but if you check Canuckaudiomart, you will find a good used z7m2 currently there with an extra fancy cable for 790 CAD, I’m sure you could do around 600CAD or less without the cable. Another one sold last week and with an asking price of 565CAD I believe. There are also z7m1 pairs there for 500CAD asking price.
Ive checked it out, honestly at that price i may as well get them new and not used. :frowning2:

Nov 8, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #983 of 2,453
Is there a go to mod for the Z7m2?

They are cheap in Australia, $440 new AUD cheap.

Tossing up if they are good $400 cans or ****ing amazing $400 cans ( good $1000 cans). What level do they sit at? Comparable overall SQ to what else?

Edit: 440 AUD is 300 USD to save anyone the time googling.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #984 of 2,453
Wow! I think Cory Gillmore can try to do it on his copy (he bought it the cheapest).
I don’t buy it man! If this simple mod changes it for the better then why didn’t Somy do it? Like how long do you figure Sony developed this thing? And they never thought to try less dampening on the magnet?

Nov 8, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #985 of 2,453
Ho does the serial number work on these headphones? If I had a number of something like 7236 that doesn't mean it was the 7236th pair produced right?

I always assumed that’s what it meant, not sure though.

I bought a Z7M2 from an early production run, and my serial number is in the 0900 range. So there's another data point for you.

Nov 8, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #986 of 2,453
Hey guys, long time Lurker of this thread. trying to keep up to date on discussions, but whats the general consensus when it comes to the Z7m2. is it worth the price of 899$?
does it sound better than the origional Z7 ? i've tried to look up reviews, ask people and check threads but everyone is saying its rubbish or not worth the price because you can get vastly better for half the price. or people would recommend headphones that are a few hundred more.

I'm interested in the Z7m2 but i dont want to throw away 900$ if the headphones arent worth their status. what do you guys think?

Everyone is certainly not saying that, or there wouldn't be almost 1,000 posts in this thread already! I mean, Head-Fiers love to whine and moan, but even for us that's a lot of posts. :)

The Z7M2 are very popular headphones, and you can certainly find them for discounted prices if you shop around. Personally I love the Z7M2, they are my favorite, and I much prefer them over the Z7. But anyone who really likes the original Z7 will have a lot of trouble getting used to the M2. I think Sony should have called these the Z8, and then much of the complaining would go away: Z7 lovers just don't want to see their favorite replaced with headphones of a very different character.

Earlier in this thread I've posted graphs and detailed comparisons to those and other cans. The Z7 midrange was far too recessed for me. But everyone's ears are different, so you'll have to compare for yourself!

Nov 8, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #987 of 2,453
I bought a Z7M2 from an early production run, and my serial number is in the 0900 range. So there's another data point for you.
Yeah the one I just got used is sub 1000. It’s a WW2 model as well if that matters. I think it’s 00969 actually.

Nov 8, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #988 of 2,453
Yeah the one I just got used is sub 1000. It’s a WW2 model as well if that matters. I think it’s 00969 actually.

I'm 6319, is there a different revision?

Nov 8, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #989 of 2,453
I'm 6319, is there a different revision?
Nah the WW2 version is just the international version. I think unless you bought from a North American retailer you have the WW2 version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back