Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Nov 8, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #1,006 of 2,440
Just use a good set of cable for the Z7 MKII and you are set. I often find the stock silver plated copper from Sony to be on the lean side. I have tried the Z7 MII on many setup and find them harder to drive and need a good amplification behind them. If you want an easy to drive phones that perform well out of the ZX300, then get the Denon D7200 and don’t look back. I compared the 7200 and Z7 M2 and the found the 7200 to sound better out of the ZX300 but the Z7 MK2 pulled ahead on my PHA3 or setup with better amplifications.

Nov 8, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #1,008 of 2,440
Yeah, they dropped in price a while back. Same with the Focal line, Clear and under. They are fairly cheap.

Save your money and buy the IER-Z1R instead.

Nov 9, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #1,012 of 2,440
I actually own a pair of ier-z1r and though maybe headphones would sound more appealing to my preference. Just wanted to try something new.

But for me isolation is very important and my noisy environments is driving a semi truck and its kinda worse then an airplane conditions...

My ier-z1r and diy comply foam with type e ear tips are very sound isolating.

I thought maybe z7m2 or 1am2 be neet headphones.
I also would like to reduce treble to

Nov 9, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #1,013 of 2,440
Just use a good set of cable for the Z7 MKII and you are set. I often find the stock silver plated copper from Sony to be on the lean side. I have tried the Z7 MII on many setup and find them harder to drive and need a good amplification behind them. If you want an easy to drive phones that perform well out of the ZX300, then get the Denon D7200 and don’t look back. I compared the 7200 and Z7 M2 and the found the 7200 to sound better out of the ZX300 but the Z7 MK2 pulled ahead on my PHA3 or setup with better amplifications.

I will be using wm1z or cayin n6ii .
Already the wm1z drives my ier-z1r pretty well at high gain and 58.
So I guess z7m2 is the wiser choice.

Nov 9, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #1,014 of 2,440
I like the Z7 M2 a lot but I don’t used them with a stock cable. I do have two pair.....one for work and another at home. I think your Cayin will do fine driving the Z7 M2.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #1,015 of 2,440
I will be using wm1z or cayin n6ii .
Already the wm1z drives my ier-z1r pretty well at high gain and 58.
So I guess z7m2 is the wiser choice.
I'd be very curious to hear the Z7M2 out of the 1Z. My ZX300 drives it perfectly fine, though there is a noticible difference when going to my desktop amp/DAC. They seem to really like mo powa babeh. MO POWA BABEH!

Nov 9, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #1,016 of 2,440
I'd be very curious to hear the Z7M2 out of the 1Z. My ZX300 drives it perfectly fine, though there is a noticible difference when going to my desktop amp/DAC. They seem to really like mo powa babeh. MO POWA BABEH!

Imagine the same amount of power but in balanced drive instead. They would open up even more.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #1,017 of 2,440
how high do you push yours?
I run them from 9-10 o'clock low-gain on my usb-powered amp, only need more on very quiet recordings.

Nov 9, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #1,018 of 2,440
I run them from 9-10 o'clock low-gain on my usb-powered amp, only need more on very quiet recordings.
Not about the volume level here. Just that the sound is more open and become more resolving. The sense of dynamics is easier to discern. Just be open and try them on beefier and higher quality amps and your ears may thank you for that. USB powered is also noisy. A highly regulated linear power supply will allow you to hear much deeper into the background so you will hear greater sense of depth.

Nov 9, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #1,019 of 2,440
Not about the volume level here. Just that the sound is more open and become more resolving. The sense of dynamics is easier to discern. Just be open and try them on beefier and higher quality amps and your ears may thank you for that. USB powered is also noisy. A highly regulated linear power supply will allow you to hear much deeper into the background so you will hear greater sense of depth.

Nov 9, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #1,020 of 2,440
Imagine the same amount of power but in balanced drive instead. They would open up even more.
Man I gotta get a balanced desktop amp. The Burson Play has been a great introduction to desktop amp/DAC, and I got it at a steal here on the forums, but it will be time to upgrade soon. I'm thinking a Topping DX7 Pro or Monolith THX 788 will be my next audio purchase. Most likely the DX7 Pro, as that 4.4mm output is a huge plus as all my balanced headphones are 4.4mm. I've only ever heard a balanced connection from my lowly ZX300...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back