Sony MDR-Z7M2 Headphone Thread
Nov 15, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #1,036 of 2,440
How's it going @purk? Some things change in the scene, but if there's something that never, never changes is Purk's love for quality cabling. :beyersmile:

Not too high of a quality here but they do matter IMO. I don’t spend $800 on a cable upgrade but I don’t mind dropping $200 or $300 on one. What I notice more lately is that a good connector is more important than the wire. So I reterminated most of my headphones with 4.4 mm Furutech connectors. I got them from Japan during my trip for around $30 each.

Nov 15, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #1,037 of 2,440
If you have the chance, check out the IER-Z1R. Sony has really done something very special with this one. The low low bass is excellent and the sense of space from this IEM really rivals many top end full size headphones. It is extremely musical and work great across many musical genres. I like it’s tuning more than the MDR-Z1R. The low low bass on the IER is even more extended and prominent than that of the MDR-Z1R. I always find the midbass on the MDR very distracting and is always there even when the music doesn’t call for it. And I even tried the Axios and other cables before selling them. Again, YMMV.

Haven't tried it, the price/looks/lore was a bit of a turnoff. Seemed like an overpriced edition for the Asian markets that are buying anything regardless of value.
So you like it? I'm a big fan of holographic spacious signatures, with a lot of air, lots of room but keeping good positioning/separation and tone.
Have you listened to the CA Andromeda? If so, I'd be very curious to know how the two compare. I'm a big fan of the Andromeda, it's the HD800 of the IEM world to my ears, but smoother and more voluptuous.They can sound so wide and spacious, I love it.

If the IER-Z1R can go beyond that, would definitely check them out.

My last R10 listening was ages ago, I can't recall much anymore. These days I doubt many are still in good shape, you seem to have one of the few exceptions. As for the Z1R midbass, can't say I disagree. They can sound a bit too bloated with some masterings. Not extreme as the 1000XM3 or similar, but a bit too strong. I would have tuned them a bit flatter on the lower end and added a bit of brightness. Still, pair then with the right tunes and they can sound perfect. Full and extremely fun.

Z1R aren't a good choice for anyone wanting a single headphone IMO, but if you have the space/funds for more than one, they're excellent when paired with the right content. And in build/comfort, are still my favorite overall.

To be back on topic, Haven't heard the Z7mk2. I really didn't care much for the original Z7 sound at all, so didn't even check them out. Assumed it was... even worse.
vs a Z1R also doubt I'd be happy, but who knows. They might have good value and a different tuning from what I assumed. I'll see if I can checkout a pair, you made me curious.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #1,039 of 2,440
Definitely check it out. The IER- Z1R is said to be superior to the Campfire Audio Solaris by the majority who have tried both. It has a lot of follower including myself. Unlike the MDR-Z1R with either love or hate it relationship, the IER-Z1R responses have been very positive. I have one and absolutely adore it.

The Z7 MKII don’t sound like the Z7. While the Z7 is a poor man version of the MDR-Z1R, the 7 MKII take a more even balanced sounding approach. It is still bassy but midbass don’t take the center stage. The overall sound is a little more analytical (not as much as the HD800) but still is very much enjoyable. The soundstage is a little better too but not as wide and deep as the the MDR-Z1R. Resolution and and musical details are a step up from the original Z7 but still doesn’t match that of the Z1R. I like it and have two pairs. One for work and another at home.

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #1,040 of 2,440
Haven't tried it, the price/looks/lore was a bit of a turnoff. Seemed like an overpriced edition for the Asian markets that are buying anything regardless of value.
So you like it? I'm a big fan of holographic spacious signatures, with a lot of air, lots of room but keeping good positioning/separation and tone.
Have you listened to the CA Andromeda? If so, I'd be very curious to know how the two compare. I'm a big fan of the Andromeda, it's the HD800 of the IEM world to my ears, but smoother and more voluptuous.They can sound so wide and spacious, I love it.

If the IER-Z1R can go beyond that, would definitely check them out.

My last R10 listening was ages ago, I can't recall much anymore. These days I doubt many are still in good shape, you seem to have one of the few exceptions. As for the Z1R midbass, can't say I disagree. They can sound a bit too bloated with some masterings. Not extreme as the 1000XM3 or similar, but a bit too strong. I would have tuned them a bit flatter on the lower end and added a bit of brightness. Still, pair then with the right tunes and they can sound perfect. Full and extremely fun.

Z1R aren't a good choice for anyone wanting a single headphone IMO, but if you have the space/funds for more than one, they're excellent when paired with the right content. And in build/comfort, are still my favorite overall.

To be back on topic, Haven't heard the Z7mk2. I really didn't care much for the original Z7 sound at all, so didn't even check them out. Assumed it was... even worse.
vs a Z1R also doubt I'd be happy, but who knows. They might have good value and a different tuning from what I assumed. I'll see if I can checkout a pair, you made me curious.
You owe it to yourself to try the IER-M9 as well. If you like open and airy then it's for you! I'm basically obsessed with mine but it was my first IEM, or any headphone, that may be considered anything close to TOTL. I know many prefer it to the Andros. I feel the IER-Z1R is a little more controversial with a good bit of people who don't like them much and then some who thinks it's gods gift to man. The M9 is not controversial in the slightest, and is pretty much universially loved as far as I can tell.

And yes, as Purk said, the Z7M2 is very much different than the Z7. They're honestly not even close in sound signature. I own both right now and had the Z7 first, which I enjoyed until I got my hands on the M2 for a great fluke of a price.

Nov 15, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #1,041 of 2,440
Has anyone paired their Z7M2 with a Schiit Jotunheim? Just picked one up today in the forums at a good price.

Nov 17, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #1,042 of 2,440
Good evening to all,

I own the Shure SE846 and IE800 as IEM and I really like them a lot, but I'd like to have IER Z1R (I fell in love with them ... on sight, because I never listened to them) and I already have the MDR Z1R that I really like very very much. Would you sell the MDR Z1R and would you buy the IER Z1R and the MDR Z7M2 instead?

What I'd like to ask you is if the Z7M2 can be a worthy replacement for the Z1R ... and if IER Z1R can be a valid substitute not only of the MDR Z1R, but even of SE846 and IE800 too (
I would sell all my headphones at that point)? Is there someone who switched from the MDR Z1R to the Z7M2 and who was happy ... or is unhappy here?

Thank you all and greetings, Andrea.

Nov 17, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #1,043 of 2,440
Good evening to all,

I own the Shure SE846 and IE800 as IEM and I really like them a lot, but I'd like to have IER Z1R (I fell in love with them ... on sight, because I never listened to them) and I already have the MDR Z1R that I really like very very much. Would you sell the MDR Z1R and would you buy the IER Z1R and the MDR Z7M2 instead?

What I'd like to ask you is if the Z7M2 can be a worthy replacement for the Z1R ... and if IER Z1R can be a valid substitute not only of the MDR Z1R, but even of SE846 and IE800 too (
I would sell all my headphones at that point)? Is there someone who switched from the MDR Z1R to the Z7M2 and who was happy ... or is unhappy here?

I already did sell the MDR-Z1R because of what I have said about the bass presence that’s always there regardless of recordings. Then I bought the Z7 MKII, made upgrade cable for them to make them better and jumped on the IER-Z1R train because I really dig the sound. I don’t miss the MDR-Z1R because I like the Z7 MKII more thanks to its more balanced tuning. The IER-Z1R is a true gem in my book and many who own both the MDR & IER-Z1R actually prefer the IER myself included.

Nov 17, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #1,044 of 2,440
Haven't posted in this thread for quite some time...just wanted to share my MDR-Z7M2 setup back home:

49081541798_74f2bce5bd_c.jpg

Laptop > Steinberg UR22 Mk2 > Rupert Neve Designs RNHP amp > Sony Kimber cables (3.5mm SE) > MDR-Z7M2

If there's anything I'd like to change here, that would be the DAC (I'm waiting for the Topping DX7 Pro to be available locally). Overall, though, I am quite happy with the sound I am getting from this setup (a bit more sparkle and forward mids relative to using the Z7M2 with the NW-WM1A + included 4.4mm balanced cables). The Z7M2s are still among my best head-fi purchases I did. YMMV, of course. :)

Nov 18, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #1,045 of 2,440
Good evening to all,

Depends really, if you already love the Z1R sounds, I'm not sure the Z7M2 would cut it. It's more "neutral" ish tuned but IMO it doesn't carry Z1R's characteristic black background, the paper washi backplate is not something Z7's metal housing can replace.

Tho in the end It depends on what qualities you love about the MDR-Z1R, maybe on some parts the Z7M2 does can substitute/even better it, or heck maybe even the OG Z7 can, but that's going too far back just to scrounge up a bit of money.

Is IER Z1R that expensive around where you live for you to need to sell that much? Selectively speaking, selling the IE800 and not replacing the Z1R with Z7M2 is IMO the better way to source some budget for the silver gem.

I'd try keeping the SE846 simply for its comfort, the size and fit on the IER can be a hit or miss. It's not really a daily driver IEM, the Shure can do that job when the IER came.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #1,046 of 2,440
Interestingly, if you compare MDR-Z7M2 and
Beyerdynamic T5p (2 Generation), what sounds better? Ah and double Z7M2 with Z1R (deal not grateful to, but like srednyak maximally approached the top).

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #1,047 of 2,440
???

Nov 23, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #1,048 of 2,440
Is there anyone who prefers the 1st Z7 over the Z7M2? Just wondering. :)
I like the original Z7s because of their shortcomings, that weird mixture of dark and unexpected brightness, that acts like a nice dissonant. This sharp contrast makes the overall sound even warmer and more engaging.

Nov 23, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #1,049 of 2,440
Anyone thinking to sell the z7m2?
I am looking to upgrade from my z7 ..

Nov 23, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #1,050 of 2,440
Anyone thinking to sell the z7m2?
I am looking to upgrade from my z7 ..
Man I'd sell my Z7 before I parted with my Z7M2. Even though I actually like the look of the Z7 better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back