Sony MDR-Z1R In classical music

IS Sony MDR-Z1R suitable for classical music

• Total voters
Aug 25, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #31 of 214
To be honest, I've not noticed much change in my HD800S. I used it heavily from purchase for a couple of months until I bought the Z1R. I still use it today. It's as good as it has ever been since I got it, and hasn't seemed to change one bit.

I did hear differences
The bottom line
For classical music
Now I hear if my other couple HD800 are
He's more bassy in his sound
And must admit that
This too sometimes feels a little emphasis on Bass Lin on low string instruments
Even though they were so precisely right for my first couple

I am so incomplete with this purchase.
Because of the character everyone says is bass
I had the same D7000 DENON
That's why I sold them

I read here
http://pmrreviews.com/?p=1162&

The differences with comparisons to other
But not mine

here
A very real criticism in my opinion is accurate because he listens to classical music here, which is my interest

On the one hand I want them Z1R
On the other hand I may be disappointed
And hold them in a closet just like my second pair of HD800
They aim more at full bass than the bass
In the first pair

In short do not know what to do I have the time to think again
Because just before writing these lines

I canceled the Buying

Now they have one more in stock

Aug 25, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #32 of 214
That's sad then. I could've told you the Z1R is fine with the Sony PHA-3 dac/amp, which won't cost you as much as the TA-ZH1ES. I use the Z1R with my PHA-3 on PC, and my WM1A alone, and they are both fine, with no bass swell. It's just a very nice smooth and relaxing signature.

Aug 25, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #33 of 214
That's sad then. I could've told you the Z1R is fine with the Sony PHA-3 dac/amp, which won't cost you as much as the TA-ZH1ES. I use the Z1R with my PHA-3 on PC, and my WM1A alone, and they are both fine, with no bass swell. It's just a very nice smooth and relaxing signature.

I can always buy enough in the shops

Thank you for sharing your opinion
I love only the best
And amplifier as TA-ZH1ES IS FOR ME.
Is different from what you have PHA-3.
Even though it is 1000 dollars.

I do not know what to decide and it's not a matter of money

What I want to hear is a huge big deep wide with the ambience of the hall
With good separation
A musical instrument just like a recording
The bass really bothers me too much
And that's a problem
But in a bass blow it is excellent and desirable but
Usually there are smears in works such as Schubert and Beethoven Mahler
Also depends on recording especially.

Another important point
The team of engineers at the company are young guys today who hear files from computer and pop rock music and so on
I'm an old-fashioned man of compact disc
Recordings of time 60/70 RCA/CBS/DGG/DECCA.......

And so wants a piece of art by Sony
Just like I have
SONY CDP-X707ES

Aug 25, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #35 of 214
Z1R is for modern music, especially modern pop and or EDM.....not classical
That's exactly what I'm afraid of

Because engineers are young guys
Not exactly in their heads
Tosca of Puccini with Lautin Price

Aug 25, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #36 of 214
That's exactly what I'm afraid of

Because engineers are young guys
Not exactly in their heads
Tosca of Puccini with Lautin Price
I really wouldn't blame it on the engineers, Sony has more than enough knowledge to pull out many things. This is more like a marketing team in decisions and directions of what is to sell and passing down to the engineer for this. I still think regardless of engineers, if Sony want to pull out R10 again, they can....would the company want to take up that way ? Hard to say, but one thing for sure is that Z1R is easier to sell than R10 if it is made available again. That is because most of nowadays musics are all computer made more than real instruments, and then bass is easier to listen Than glaring instruments without bass :D just my 2 cents

I do dream of a day where Sony would bring out an improved R10 one again

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #37 of 214
I really wouldn't blame it on the engineers, Sony has more than enough knowledge to pull out many things. This is more like a marketing team in decisions and directions of what is to sell and passing down to the engineer for this. I still think regardless of engineers, if Sony want to pull out R10 again, they can....would the company want to take up that way ? Hard to say, but one thing for sure is that Z1R is easier to sell than R10 if it is made available again. That is because most of nowadays musics are all computer made more than real instruments, and then bass is easier to listen Than glaring instruments without bass :D just my 2 cents

I do dream of a day where Sony would bring out an improved R10 one again

I think you could not define it better
R10 This is my direction and yours
But it is not possible today to buy at a reasonable price
also
The target audience of this equipment is young FOR MDR-Z1R.
And no
Me with the ears of an adult.
Already in relation to them.
A man from the old world.
This is me .

Aug 25, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #38 of 214
Another important point
The team of engineers at the company are young guys today who hear files from computer and pop rock music and so on

I don't know how to explain this to you, so I'll just show you. My test track for the Z1R when I auditioned it were all like these , as in they were all from this band:

The soundstage I got hearing these tracks (on my phone) on the Z1R was what sold me. Hearing those Daiko drums thump away, the Shamisen and the Kotos ringing out, and most importantly, Yuko Suzuhana's voice shine was key for me. The Z1R performed amazingly for this, even besting the HD800S.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #39 of 214
I don't know how to explain this to you, so I'll just show you. My test track for the Z1R when I auditioned it were all like these , as in they were all from this band:

The soundstage I got hearing these tracks (on my phone) on the Z1R was what sold me. Hearing those Daiko drums thump away, the Shamisen and the Kotos ringing out, and most importantly, Yuko Suzuhana's voice shine was key for me. The Z1R performed amazingly for this, even besting

Thanks for the excellent example
Yes it sounds amazing and even more Japanese

But it's okay just for this trek
I do not hear this music

Classic
Symphonies Large recording operas with many very wide musicians
As much as possible
As of DECCA
the HD800S.

Aug 25, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #41 of 214

The soundstage I got hearing these tracks (on my phone) on the Z1R was what sold me. Hearing those Daiko drums thump away, the Shamisen and the Kotos ringing out, and most importantly, Yuko Suzuhana's voice shine was key for me. The Z1R performed amazingly for this, even besting the HD800S.

Thanks for the excellent example
Yes it sounds amazing and even more Japanese

But it's okay just for this trek
I do not hear this music

Classic
As much as possible
As of DECCA
the HD800S.

Aug 25, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #42 of 214
I do give credit to Z1R for it soundstage :). Very wonderful

but
Classic
As much as possible

Aug 25, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #43 of 214
but
Classic
As much as possible
I keep telling you this isn't the problem with the Z1R. The soundstage is wide enough to accomodate the full orchestra. It has the widest soundstage I've ever heard from a closed headphone.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #44 of 214
I keep telling you this isn't the problem with the Z1R. The soundstage is wide enough to accomodate the full orchestra. It has the widest soundstage I've ever heard from a closed headphone.
Yes, this is very true, and this attribute together with the strong bass and closed back is an almost magical combinations to cramp together in 1 design. The only thing with Z1R is the tonal balances and it timbres which is more tuned toward modern pop and EDM. Though, R10 can have even wider soundstage when you amp it right :D....so for a modern current productions, the Z1R may have been the widest and tallest soundstage for a closed back, but Sony can do better

Aug 25, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #45 of 214
I keep telling you this isn't the problem with the Z1R. The soundstage is wide enough to accomodate the full orchestra.
OK

But what scares me is the amount of low frequencies and also
Laboratory tests have shown that there is more bass and bass as than in HD800 for example.

When for example an orchestra plays the whole chapter of Mahler's Second Symphony SOLTI 1981

I might not be able to know until I hear the Z1R with the amplifier I have
I think that Lyman Audio Linar BCL
Would be appropriate because it is relatively open to P-1U

Or for example playing as Othello's opening recording of DECCA KARAJAN 1962
There is bass and a low-frequency organ
will hear one big salad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back