Sony MDR-XB950BT Bluetooth headphones
Jan 22, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #376 of 644
More mods to come whenever I'm done with the Sony MDR-Z7 (bigger brother version of the XB950BT).

I have learned some... useful things while working with the Z7, and I think those things can be applied to the XB950.

Next mod will have more bass control, and yet more bass quantity at the same time. Also hopefully more treble... but I can already imagine the XB950 sounding even better than my last mods.
beerchug.gif

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #377 of 644
  +100

Also guys the wired version of this headphone is currently on sale. I found this deal through the Deals Discussion thread but I don't know how legit the site is. If anyone cares to comment that'd be great. I'm thinking of picking up a wired set: XB950AP
http://www.ncixus.com/promo/subpromosale.php?webid=1216

not bad, though i dont think it will have the bass boost option. one could use EQ instead

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #378 of 644
I've tried mdr-1rbt which i really liked. I only tried 10rbt in the store, but the earpads was to small to be comfortable.

questions:
1) Is 950 closer to 10rbt or 1rbt in comfort?  (e.g big/small earpads).   1rbt is probably most comfortable ive tried.
2) Do 950 cancel sound in the way that mdr-1 does?  (passive)

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #379 of 644
  I've tried mdr-1rbt which i really liked. I only tried 10rbt in the store, but the earpads was to small to be comfortable.

questions:
1) Is 950 closer to 10rbt or 1rbt in comfort?  (e.g big/small earpads).   1rbt is probably most comfortable ive tried.

I can't answer one directly but the 950 are some of the most comfortable headphones I've tried. The pads are very soft and the feel of the headphone is overall just very good.

2) Yes, the 950 does an excellent job as a passive isolation. Not the best and definitely not anything like Bose QC but really good for what it is.

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #380 of 644

questions:

I had the 950 and 10rbt side by side as a friend owns the latter. The 10rbt are way more comfy and light, and the 950 are very comfortable as it is. They feel cheaper though, which is fairly common with light headphones.

I understand the 10rbt to be smaller than the 1, and the 950 are more of a pillow around the ears. So I would assume the 950 have smallest circumference and the 1 the largest.

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #382 of 644
Hi ,

I have reid somewhere on this forum (and dont remembre where) that there a trick to enhence the quality of the Bluetooth signal, a combination of buttons, something like vol+ and another button pressed at the same Time.. Somewhone would be kind and point me out the trick???

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #383 of 644
Hi ,

I have reid somewhere on this forum (and dont remembre where) that there a trick to enhence the quality of the Bluetooth signal, a combination of buttons, something like vol+ and another button pressed at the same Time.. Somewhone would be kind and point me out the trick???

Sure, when you first turn the 950 on, hold both the Power button and the + portion of the Volume switch. Once it turns on it should blink '3 times' which will indicate it is in high-performance mode. There are three quality settings, so unless you were on the lowest setting you should only need to do this once. 

To check which mode you are in, while the headphones are on, tap both  both the Power button and the + portion of the Volume switch at the same time for one sec. You should see the power light flash blue several times (3 times would indicate high quality mode).

You should be good to go!

Mar 1, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #384 of 644
Could someone plug the 3.5mm cable on the bluetooth version into a ps4 controller to see if it works? I was looking for a bluetooth headphone to watch movies with on my PC then also use for games on my ps4. 

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #386 of 644
It's 3.5mm, so I'm guessing it should work. What I'm trying to do is find the best headphones to use for my HTPC then Ps4. I've got a pretty simple audio setup since it's a living room TV, but I wanted to have a great pair of headphones around for the occasion. With the 950 I can use them bluetooth with my HTPC then plug them into my Ps4 wired when I wish. Maybe there's better headphones out there or better ways to do what I wish to..  

Mar 21, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #388 of 644
More mods to come whenever I'm done with the Sony MDR-Z7 (bigger brother version of the XB950BT).

I have learned some... useful things while working with the Z7, and I think those things can be applied to the XB950.

Next mod will have more bass control, and yet more bass quantity at the same time. Also hopefully more treble... but I can already imagine the XB950 sounding even better than my last mods.
:beerchug:

Hi Bill-P,

Did you ever do these latest mods to the xb950's?

I've recently got a pair and have already bought the materials ready for mod 2.0 but I'd definitely like to retain some of the bass quantity like you've mentioned!

Thanks

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #389 of 644
After reading this thread, I have a few questions about the Sony MDR-XB950BT

I see a lot of comparison of the 950BT, to the Sony 10RBT, and 1RBT, and the results of the comparisons say the 950BT is the better..

Well, I had the  10RBT, and at the $150 price point, I paid for them, I say they were pretty good. Right now, I am looking for a pair off good sounding headphones for my wife. She is a bungler, so no high end ones for her. I want some phones that will take her abuse, sound decent, don't cost over $200. Right now, she is using a pair of mangled Harman Kardon BTs..Well abused but still working. 

Also, in the comparisons, unless I missed it, I see NO comparison of the XB950BT to the Sony MDR 1RBT MK2, which is a vastly different animal then the Sony 1RBT.

To give you and idea of how good the Sony MK2s are, I had it doing battle with the latest bluetooth high end offerings..The Sennheiser M2 Wireless and the Definitive Technology Symphony 1. These two are in the $400 to $500 range. Well the MK2, stuck with the Def Tech 1, as in being equal and maybe edging it out. However, the Senn M2 was too good.

With all that said, I am sure the MK2, which BTW is GREY MARKET and only Sony of Japan honors the warranty, would be better than the XB950BT.  The price has come down, and still the fact, they are only serviced by Sony of Japan..

I think I am going to pick up a pair of XB950BTs at BestBuy and see for myself.. They would have to be at least better then the Harman Kardon BTs for any kind of consideration. My other choice would be to get a pair of USED Sony 1RBT MK2 used..

Mar 22, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #390 of 644
  After reading this thread, I have a few questions about the Sony MDR-XB950BT

I see a lot of comparison of the 950BT, to the Sony 10RBT, and 1RBT, and the results of the comparisons say the 950BT is the better..

Whoever wrote that, should have his hands cut.
It is a pure LIE.
Unless you Mod the XB950 (I did not try) they are vastly inferior to both those two.
And so I more than sure also to the MK2 (which I did not test but it is known to be better then the Mk1).

Besides, the XB950 is NOT a normal headphone. You do not buy that for your wife unless she is a fanatic of Dubstep.
And the change from the HKBT will be a shock.

I would suggest you the Jlab Omni, they are cheap and sturdy and sound good and almost identical to the HKBT.
Or the Jabra Revo Wireless.
Or the Supertooth Freedom.
I have lot of suggestions but you did not say which music she listen to, which tastes on sound does she have (bass, mids, highs, soundstage) how picky is she with comfort, if she prefer on or over ear, if she needs something portable or not, which sources does she use (Aptx? AAC?). etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back