Sony MDR-XB500 vs Sony MDR-XB700
Apr 6, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #77 of 173
I would also have an extra Audigy 1 card around and I'm from Finland btw so not too far away hehe (I have 2x Audigy 1 and 2x Audigy 2 ZS cards and one of the Audigy 1 I put in my parents comp whenever I go there for a visit and then I use one of the Audigy 2 ZS card and keep the other for backup for myself :p)  but the Audigy 1 cards use quite a bit worse quality components and the Audigy 2 ZS (SB0350) card that were the most popular ones and easy to find you'd be able to get today for like only 5 EUR more would be so much more worth it in my eyes. The Audigy 1 have fairly nice bass response but it's not quite on the same level when it comes to the midrange detail especially and there's a bit better instrument separation but for the low cost you'd pay for an Audigy 1 it would ofc be very well worth it but I'd still go for some Audigy 2 series card if possible for the better components on them when the price difference is so insignificant.

Here's a compatibility list http://kxproject.com/faq.php?language=en#cards

Like I said I bought an Audigy 2 ZS last year from this forum of a person from UK and he shipped me it for like £17 (~20 EUR) incl shipping and it was very lightly used and had been sitting in a drawer unused. :) Only had to wait a day or two to get this offer.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #78 of 173
Well i found something out when i play my music through windows media player the sound sucks when i listen to my xb700 but when i play music with vlc player it's way better the bass is way more how can that be it sounds good with vlc still not as good as my x-fi player but way better then media player

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #79 of 173
i use the fiio e5 with my creative x-fi style and it rocks dude way louder and with the bass bosst button on you get a good massage cause it bangs like no other headphone and without the e5 i had it on the highest volume but not with the e5  i can't it's too loud and i like it loud but not too loud off course.....hehe
basshead.gif

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #82 of 173

Quote:
am listening to it now foobar2000 and it's as good in sound as vlc player, will try it more and if i like i will use it thx bro!!

The config above uses dolby headphone plugin which increase especially depth of the soundstage and there's more spacious spatial sound, you can ofc change the settings as you please, these are only the settings that work superb on my headphones/soundcard combo. I actually lowered the bass on the foobar2000's EQ a bit as dolby headphone plugin itself enhances the bass quite a bit so even if I lowered it a little, it's still a bit stronger than other players with that setting.

I'd especially try adjusting the "stereo image width" setting in channel mixer plugin in general tab, for me 0.87 sounds the most natural as above that it starts sounding somewhat articifical and vocals brought further apart and with 0.87 the vocals sound very centered etc but different settings work differently on different (phew) setups. 

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #84 of 173

Quote:
which would u recommend for rap music being played out of an ipod touch?

XB500 IMO cuz it's a lot easier driven and works fine without any amp and the overall sound signature of XB500 is what I'd associate for such genres, it's fun/engaging/forward sounding with big bass that's both punchy and very well extended so you get lots of both and highs are a bit smoother sounding.

Apr 8, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #85 of 173
I was one of the first XB700 fan boys here, and I must say, I am still holding to the conclusion that they are superior to the 500s, on a comfort level, as well, they are so sensitive, yet because the drivers are so large, the cavity between driver and ear is very well maintained, they give a very warm presentation from my Sansa fuse v2. I have RockBox on it, but even before there was a stable build for the v2, the XB700s and my sansa went with me everywhere. I mean, we are talking fleapower here to produce insane SPL levels, but the magic is in what is not advertised on the package... these cans are able to hang with some of my best headphones if I plug them into my home system, but my best stand no chance at being driven un-amped and able to play hardstyle, powernoise, EBM, IDM, post rock, and other dynamic genres to levels well beyond levels, that frankly, would cause my pain and hearing loss.

I am always surprised at how well they sound when I use them, outside, or somewhere that is not at home, and work, because I have to deal with cognitive dissonance. I just wish there were more examples of a value like this. I wish Sony had a 1/4" cable for these, and I wish the cable was longer, but obviously they were meant for un-amped fleapower from a portable. I still think they sound far better than they have the right to, to which I am often caught off guard by this. I have other cans for portable use, but I wonder why I use them sometimes... the 700s are just great all rounders, and the price these days is just right. I know the 500s are good, and I respect them, however, they cannot entirely contain my ears, and the pads don't create a cavity where my ears literally are not touching the driver grilles. The 500s certainly can bring the bottom end almost as well as the 700s, but it in soft passages where I prefer the 700s. They have this detailed, yet, analog sound. It is warm, and non fatiguing.

Sony did right on this line, the 500s and the 700s, however, as usual, they fail on the 300s, just like the DJ versions (I am almost sure the drivers in the 700s are the same as the ones in the vf700DJ cans that just about everyone has used at some point, and the 500s are modeled after the vf500DJs, which are good on-ear cans. The vf300s are a joke, so it is not a surprise that the xb300s would be just as terrible.)

XB700s all the way if you want to get the most out of an unamped portable with true around the ear large cans. These are "audiophile" level 'phones, take that as you will, however, I have certainly enjoyed them as much as ~$400 or more headphones. The setting is different, portable vs. intimate listening, but the sound quality is there. I modded a pair of Aurvana Lives! (the denon d1000s re-branded with an ever so slight difference in the earpads and internal shell volume/shape), I mass loaded the drivers, and also added dampening to the inside walls of the cans, and these are the only other phones to come close on my portable, but the FULL sound of the XB700s isn't there, but there is slightly more "air and space", I suppose the warmth of the 700s comes at the price of a little bit of soundstaging, but that is not to say the 700s don't extend a headstage fairly far beyond the head than what would be expected on a stock pair of headphones that come in a blister-pack.

One mod I did was only to keep the pads from squishing over time, and it was to find the right rubber band to place at the pad-meets-shell seam... the pads are attached very well, and this will cause them to stay plush and forward. It maintains the cavity between ear and driver, and when the pounds of low end fall from your tiny player into your ears at a volume level that leaves plenty to spare, it gives you that "worth every penny" feeling. This is not to say they are the end all be all headphones, but I can't imagine many full sized phones that can impress many IEM addicts. I recently listened to a selection of nice IEMs, and while I do see why they are crazy popular right now, I don't get the same massive stage I get with the 700s, nor that analog/relaxed feeling. These work just as well with jazz and classical, so like I said, all 'rounders. If you own a portable player, the 500s or the 700s are worth owning. If you want the ultimate experience of a large driver easily driven to create that "sound" that not many other phones but the XB700s have, then grab them. There really is no reason not to get the 700s over the 500s unless you are trying to save a bit of cash. The freq. response chart may show the 500s almost congruent with the 700s, but they don't sound the same.

Perhaps, it is a matter of personal preference. Praise has been sung about both here. I have seen posts like mine that are fervently supporting the 500s, so I say for me, I would not want to "downgrade", but then again, I enjoy their sound and presentation, as well as comfort. Someone may prefer the same in the 500s. For a portable, they are interestingly close in sensitivity to some decent IEMs, which means no need for an amp on just about any source, and to be honest, I have hooked them to my Grace 901, and the difference is not that much. I expected even "more" from them, but nope... they gave a similar experience, just better due to my source, but all things considered, the 700s are some of the best large cans I have that don't need an amp. They look cool too.

I am a basshead, but not exclusively. I just happen to own some very bottom heavy headphones. I think I like their warmer sound.

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #86 of 173
Hey man, it's good to hear from you here again. Great post by the way. You are getting me more excited for my XB700's that come tomorrow. I will admit, I am quite excited, especially since I'll be taking them head to head against the XB500, but I already have my suspicions as to which will win me over. XB500 sounds good EQ'ed, but I'll take a more refined, less bassy, and more comfy model. Hopefully the XB700 does not disappoint, and I actually highly doubt it will.

I got the XB300 before I got the XB500. I then got rid of the XB300. Awful things.

Apr 8, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #87 of 173
UnEQ'd the XB700 sounds clearer due to less warmth, the upper bass to lower midrange isn't as emphasized on XB700 and the highs are also slightly emphasized compared to XB500. If you compare unEQ'd vs unEQ'd then it's quite a bit harder to tell for me which I'd pick, at times I'd probably even pick XB700 because of the clarity advantage, however the mids are a bit more recessed and I'm a mid-forward person. The XB500 I think benefits a lot more from EQing and I use a very high quality EQ which is miles beyond EQs like iTunes', foobar2000 etc. and when they are both EQ'd optimally to my taste I'd pick XB500 but I really liked XB700 too and valued it more like ~150 EUR than 75 EUR I paid for it and XB500 I paid 43 EUR for I'd personally value even up to 200 EUR after the applied EQ settings for my own taste as they easily for me beat headphones such as DT770 Pro and ATH-M50. But every1 got their own taste how it should sound like. Best is to describe the sound differences and let the other people decide for themselves.

Between XB500 and XB700 the differences are that XB700 are less warm and forward/"in-your-face" sounding than XB500 which sounds warmer/smoother/"thicker" by default. The XB500 has a bit bigger bass quantity due to A LOT stronger mid/upper bass but loses marginally to XB700 in deep bass range <80Hz. This means XB500 will have bigger bass impact while XB700's bass remains relatively soft and slow. Mids are quite similar on both but XB700's mids are slightly more recessed because while the high frequencies got a boost, the mids didn't so the result is a more V-shaped frequency response and XB500 can be more explained as a gently slanting slope from the bass to highs and the mids sounds therefore less recessed. Soundstage wise I feel that XB700 had a bit bigger soundstage but that XB500 had slightly more precise positional sound cues, it was easier to tell the direction and distance in games for sounds on the XB500 for some reason and I tested this a lot to be sure as gaming is an important part for me (yes I love my XB500 even for gaming). 

It's all down to preference, I tend to prefer very warm and forward/"in-your-face" sound signature and I prefer as forward sounding mids as possible coupled with no emphasized highs which tend to be a very common sight in most headphones over 100 EUR/USD, I prefer them to be like on a neutral level or perhaps even slightly veiled for a smoother/warmer and to me "fullier" sound. XB500 had slightly less recessed mids and had a bit smoother highs. Then basswise I missed some mid/upper bass punch in the XB700 compared to my previous bassheavy headphones I had before XB series which also beats XB700 in bass punch but aren't nowhere near in the deep bass output. I bought XB700 and used it for maybe 2 weeks or so before I got XB500 and still when compared them both side by side I noticed rather quick that XB500 was more to my liking BUT as I said after applied EQ settings. Some people don't even EQ their headphones so then it's another matter but that's like the first thing I start with when getting a new headphone, trying to find the optimal EQ curve for that headphone in particular. Even if I'd buy a $500+ headphone I'd probably find things I can make it sound better (meaning more to my liking) so it's not about how expensive/cheap they are, all headphones would get EQ'd to a more or less extent for me.

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #88 of 173
XB700 ALL THE WAY. I have both 500 and 700 and in my opinion the xb500 is left in the dust every time.  I have used all EQ settings in all types of media players and at least 5 amps and my beloved old marantz receiver. My 2 home stereos tell the same story. Listening to bassy classical with the xb700 brings tears to my eyes. I leave the xb500 for my nephew when he comes to visit.

Apr 8, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #89 of 173

Quote:
UnEQ'd the XB700 sounds clearer due to less warmth, the upper bass to lower midrange isn't as emphasized on XB700 and the highs are also slightly emphasized compared to XB500. If you compare unEQ'd vs unEQ'd then it's quite a bit harder to tell for me which I'd pick, at times I'd probably even pick XB700 because of the clarity advantage, however the mids are a bit more recessed and I'm a mid-forward person. The XB500 I think benefits a lot more from EQing and I use a very high quality EQ which is miles beyond EQs like iTunes', foobar2000 etc. and when they are both EQ'd optimally to my taste I'd pick XB500 but I really liked XB700 too and valued it more like ~150 EUR than 75 EUR I paid for it and XB500 I paid 43 EUR for I'd personally value even up to 200 EUR after the applied EQ settings for my own taste as they easily for me beat headphones such as DT770 Pro and ATH-M50. But every1 got their own taste how it should sound like. Best is to describe the sound differences and let the other people decide for themselves.

Between XB500 and XB700 the differences are that XB700 are less warm and forward/"in-your-face" sounding than XB500 which sounds warmer/smoother/"thicker" by default. The XB500 has a bit bigger bass quantity due to A LOT stronger mid/upper bass but loses marginally to XB700 in deep bass range <80Hz. This means XB500 will have bigger bass impact while XB700's bass remains relatively soft and slow. Mids are quite similar on both but XB700's mids are slightly more recessed because while the high frequencies got a boost, the mids didn't so the result is a more V-shaped frequency response and XB500 can be more explained as a gently slanting slope from the bass to highs and the mids sounds therefore less recessed. Soundstage wise I feel that XB700 had a bit bigger soundstage but that XB500 had slightly more precise positional sound cues, it was easier to tell the direction and distance in games for sounds on the XB500 for some reason and I tested this a lot to be sure as gaming is an important part for me (yes I love my XB500 even for gaming). 

It's all down to preference, I tend to prefer very warm and forward/"in-your-face" sound signature and I prefer as forward sounding mids as possible coupled with no emphasized highs which tend to be a very common sight in most headphones over 100 EUR/USD, I prefer them to be like on a neutral level or perhaps even slightly veiled for a smoother/warmer and to me "fullier" sound. XB500 had slightly less recessed mids and had a bit smoother highs. Then basswise I missed some mid/upper bass punch in the XB700 compared to my previous bassheavy headphones I had before XB series which also beats XB700 in bass punch but aren't nowhere near in the deep bass output. I bought XB700 and used it for maybe 2 weeks or so before I got XB500 and still when compared them both side by side I noticed rather quick that XB500 was more to my liking BUT as I said after applied EQ settings. Some people don't even EQ their headphones so then it's another matter but that's like the first thing I start with when getting a new headphone, trying to find the optimal EQ curve for that headphone in particular. Even if I'd buy a $500+ headphone I'd probably find things I can make it sound better (meaning more to my liking) so it's not about how expensive/cheap they are, all headphones would get EQ'd to a more or less extent for me.

Out of curiosity, what EQ are you using?

Apr 8, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #90 of 173
Well, I just got these today. In short, they are really quite amazing!

The build is much better than the XB500. They feel much more solid, and the headband adjustment is of better quality. These are just really impressive to hold in your hand, something I thought Sony would skimp out on especially for a headphone like this. But these feel very solid, and are very well constructed. The earpads are awesomely huge, and now can fully enclose my ear, resulting in much better comfort. I just cannot believe how soft these are... They are a joy to hold and wear.

Sound wise, they sound like a cleaned up and refined XB500. I can actually hear the midrange now, and the bass is now in perfect territory. It kinda reminds me of the Pro 900, because it doesn't ruin the rest of the sound with overbearance like the XB500 does, or other bass oriented headphones. In fact, these don't have THAT much bass, it actually works quite well with the rest of the spectrum. Bass goes a bit deeper as well, while not engulfing the mids like the XB500 did. Much better all arounders IMO. But obviously, there will be many fans of the XB500, that prefer it's more bassy presentation. But the XB700 to me is superior to the XB500, and it will definitely be a keeper.

But man, these are seriously one of the best headphones I've had. I'll take them head to head against my HD598 for kicks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back