Sony MDR-XB500 vs Sony MDR-XB700
Feb 15, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #46 of 173
You asked for it...

Why use one EQ when you can use 2? (With kX Audio drivers). Here's excel graph comparing to the minimalistic setting:

Despite how ridiculous it looks like there's very little detail lost compared to the minimalistic setting, I wouldn't believe it myself either but that's just the way kX Audio's 10-band EQ works for some reason, no distortion despite boosting it by +20. I do have to lower the volume sliders A LOT by using that setting so it's like using a "software amp". :p 

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #48 of 173
You need a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy (1/2/4) soundcard, that's the catch. Which you would need to buy 2nd hand today as they are so old by now. Audigy 2 ZS like I use I'd recommend the most as it's fully supported and most popular card among them and can be had for like 15~$20 today. I recently bought a backup Audigy 2 ZS card here on this forums by setting up a WTB thread and it didn't take any long b4 some1 replied. I'm probably gonna stick to them until as long as I keep using Windows 7, so probably another 4-5 years or so perhaps, then there might be other solutions by Asus, Creative or Auzentech that would be more worth getting instead.

EDIT: Just have to mention I happen to like Snow Patrol's "Run" a lot. :p

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #49 of 173
Hmm.. sounds worth looking into a bit more. Do sound cards grant a lot better SQ than the usual comp output?

I think Snow Patrol is awesome! One of my favourite bands. The song "Run" is very good, especially when you compare it to the version Leona Lewis sang. The original is just better! Sorry, just had to say that =')

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #50 of 173
Compared to the onboard soundcard it would be a huge difference, in fact even between Creative's own drivers and kX Audio drivers for these cards there's a very noticable improvement. It's highly configurable and that's another thing I like about them. They are built from scratch and shares nothing in common with Creative's drivers, they aren't just modded drivers.

I personally also like the surrounder+ plugin a lot as it provides a pseudo surround sound that works very good for gaming, better than Dolby headphone does from the built-in Realtek HD onboard chip like I've compared a couple of times with on my newest motherboard. For spending 15~$20 it's a huge improvement. I could never stand using the onboard Realtek sound.

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #51 of 173
I got my XB700 first and then purchased an XB500 also after reading the opinions on this forum.
My first impression of the XB500 having used the XB700 is that they are dinky.  The pads are considerably smaller, and it puts them in a fairly uncomfortable grey area where I have to choose if I want the pads resting on the very edges of my ear lobes or if I want to fold my ear slightly so they fit inside.  I strongly prefer the larger pads that don’t touch my ears at all.

As far as the actual sound, the two are quite different.  The XB500 definitely isn’t just a smaller version of the XB700 with a similar sound signature as you might expect.  The XB500, using no EQ at all, sounds surprisingly good.  I think it might be the only headphone I have that I would ever consider using without any EQ.  To that end these would probably be my first choice if I was listening using a portable device such as my Droid.  In my case however, listening via portable devices makes up less than 1% of my listening sessions and I have no aversion to actually using EQ.

While the XB500 has the edge when it comes to its stock sound signature, the XB700 with its 50mm drivers is simply able to do things that the XB500 and its 40mm drivers cannot.  If you listen at loud volumes, clear differences emerge between the capabilities of the two headphones as evidenced by the degree to which the bass negatively impacts the rest of the sound spectrum.  With the XB500 there is clear degradation of the sound spectrum with heavy bass; with the XB700 this is not the case.  I should note that my DT770/Pro 80ohm headphones also use 40mm drivers and suffer from the same issues as the XB500 in this regard.  The clarity of the XB700 in these extreme heavy-bass situations really makes you feel like you’re listening to something special.

Although both the XB500 and XB700 are fairly easy to drive, I do feel that the XB700 in particular benefits from a good high-current headphone amplifier.  Prior to getting my XB700 my primary headphone amplifier was a Little-Dot II+.  This OTL (output transformer-less) tube amp was only capable of delivering <100mw to headphones rated at 24ohms and it was obvious that the XB700 was running out of gas.  While being 24ohms makes them easy to drive in a certain regard, the lower end of the spectrum is still the most power hungry and the XB700s can suck up a LOT of power.  I purchased a Little-Dot I+ which is a hybrid amplifier and uses transistors for the output stage.  Where I was getting <100mw before at 24ohms I am now getting >800mw with my new amp; The XB700s are in heaven.  Supplying the XB700 with proper amplification goes a long way toward closing any remaining deficiencies they might have compared to the XB500.  While I found that the XB700s lacked the mid-bass punch of the XB500s when powering them from my old amplifier, once the XB700 had enough power at its disposal the gap closed to where the XB500 now only has a negligible advantage if any.  I guess the lesson is that these 50mm drivers simply require more juice than 40mm drivers to perform their best.

When I got my XB700s, I mainly just wanted them as something I could mess around and have fun with.  I would have never expected that they would have essentially replaced my DT770/Pro 80’s as my main everyday headphones, but that is exactly what has happened.  With EQ I find that even the midrange and the high-end on these headphones is very good.  That headphones with such capabilities are so cheap is pretty amazing, it’s definitely a good time to be in this hobby.

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #52 of 173
Yea good points you bring up there.

I'm not suprised you like XB700 more than DT770/80, I felt the same myself too and I was also very happy with the XB700 but XB500 satisfied me even more. I happen to prefer very warm and forward sound though and XB500 is more of that than XB700 and I sorta missed slight upper bass punch on the XB700. XB700's bass do stay away better from the mids due to less upper bass focus compared to XB500, XB700 I felt was heavily focusing on very deep bass in the 10 ~ 100Hz range while XB500 covers like 10 - 250Hz with equally strong emphasis. And yes upper bass does color mids more than compared to having a slight dip like on XB700 in the upper bass to lower-midrange but it doesn't annoy me personally as I prefer that warm sound but you can change that by EQing too. With the right settings I concider to me personally that XB500 sounds like a $200 worth piece of equipment but XB700 still sounds like maybe 150~$160 at the very least but that was tested with FiiO E5 and Gary's PA2V2 amps only (and Beyer DT770/80 not quite worth that pricetag) which isn't either bad for a $80 headphone. :p 

And yes it's been brought up to discussion quite a lot of times regarding the amping, XB500 doesn't need any amping at all and improves barely anything by amping while XB700 does also sound loud enough from about any source but definitely improves sound quality wise by especially high current amping. If you look at the specs you can also see that XB500 is rated for 1500mW max power handling capacity while XB700 goes as high as 3500mW, quite a huge difference there! So yea I do believe you that running them out of a powerful amp will probably improve XB700 a lot but I thought XB500 was such a better bang for the buck choice seeing how I was extremely satisfied with them even when running ampless so I didn't quite feel like getting an amp that would cost more than the headphones themselves at that point.

As for comfort, well to me XB500 isn't any less comfortable, it's more the opposite cuz it's significantly lighter but I can see the smaller circumference might be a prob to some people but they do take shape according to your ears, mine is a lot more oval shaped these days.

It's funny though when you think about it, these are EXTRA BASS headphones and actually sound great for the price too and made by SONY? I Wonder what the chances are of such things happening again....

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #53 of 173
I don't really think the XB500 is "uncomfortable", but I haven't compared it to the XB700. I might ask the XB700 for my birthday, haven't got enough power to make the XB700 better than the XB500 atm anyway. Also, I use my iPod a lot because I travel a lot, I think the XB500 is better straight out of an iPod. I have 14 days to return the XB500 and get the XB700 instead. Before those 14 days are over, I'm going to enjoy them as much as I can. When they get uncomfortable when wearing them a long time I might return them but I didn't really experience any uncomfortability for now. Although the even bigger pads must be even better.

Feb 15, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #54 of 173

X2 I drive the xb700 out of a 30 year old marantz receiver if found gathering dust in my late dad's garage. Give the xb700 proper power and you are in for quite a treat. With proper EQ of the mids you have something really special for dirt cheap. I have been listening to the xb500 (bought by my cousin) and I am thinking of getting them also but just to drive them out of my ipod classic with cmoy, when I feel like sitting down at the coffee shop for some relaxing.
Quote:

While the XB500 has the edge when it comes to its stock sound signature, the XB700 with its 50mm drivers is simply able to do things that the XB500 and its 40mm drivers cannot.  If you listen at loud volumes, clear differences emerge between the capabilities of the two headphones as evidenced by the degree to which the bass negatively impacts the rest of the sound spectrum.  With the XB500 there is clear degradation of the sound spectrum with heavy bass; with the XB700 this is not the case.  I should note that my DT770/Pro 80ohm headphones also use 40mm drivers and suffer from the same issues as the XB500 in this regard.  The clarity of the XB700 in these extreme heavy-bass situations really makes you feel like you’re listening to something special.

Although both the XB500 and XB700 are fairly easy to drive, I do feel that the XB700 in particular benefits from a good high-current headphone amplifier.  Prior to getting my XB700 my primary headphone amplifier was a Little-Dot II+.  This OTL (output transformer-less) tube amp was only capable of delivering <100mw to headphones rated at 24ohms and it was obvious that the XB700 was running out of gas.  While being 24ohms makes them easy to drive in a certain regard, the lower end of the spectrum is still the most power hungry and the XB700s can suck up a LOT of power.  I purchased a Little-Dot I+ which is a hybrid amplifier and uses transistors for the output stage.  Where I was getting <100mw before at 24ohms I am now getting >800mw with my new amp; The XB700s are in heaven.  Supplying the XB700 with proper amplification goes a long way toward closing any remaining deficiencies they might have compared to the XB500.  While I found that the XB700s lacked the mid-bass punch of the XB500s when powering them from my old amplifier, once the XB700 had enough power at its disposal the gap closed to where the XB500 now only has a negligible advantage if any.  I guess the lesson is that these 50mm drivers simply require more juice than 40mm drivers to perform their best.

When I got my XB700s, I mainly just wanted them as something I could mess around and have fun with.  I would have never expected that they would have essentially replaced my DT770/Pro 80’s as my main everyday headphones, but that is exactly what has happened.  With EQ I find that even the midrange and the high-end on these headphones is very good.  That headphones with such capabilities are so cheap is pretty amazing, it’s definitely a good time to be in this hobby.

Feb 15, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #55 of 173

Quote:

It's funny though when you think about it, these are EXTRA BASS headphones and actually sound great for the price too and made by SONY? I Wonder what the chances are of such things happening again....

the xb line is wonderful except for the xb300. I think the xb1000 is gonna be sick!. I like them so much I think its worth having the top three.

Feb 15, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #56 of 173

Quote:
X2 I drive the xb700 out of a 30 year old marantz receiver if found gathering dust in my late dad's garage. Give the xb700 proper power and you are in for quite a treat. With proper EQ of the mids you have something really special for dirt cheap. I have been listening to the xb500 (bought by my cousin) and I am thinking of getting them also but just to drive them out of my ipod classic with cmoy, when I feel like sitting down at the coffee shop for some relaxing.

Will the Sony HST-471 or the Grundig V4200 have enough power to give the xb700 enough power? I hope one of them does!

Feb 15, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #57 of 173

Quote:

Will the Sony HST-471 or the Grundig V4200 have enough power to give the xb700 enough power? I hope one of them does!

I'm quite sure they will, those two seem more than capable to give lots of current. Remember the low impedance means that the xb700 can go really loud at even low volume, but feeding them with good power (not ipod or built in pc soundcard) allows the bass frequencies to be thunderous, which is what all of us fellow bassheads are aiming for. the xb700 is just that good for bass without having to break the bank. If the upcoming xb1000 is $150.00 when its released in the States, I am going to get one asap.
basshead.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #58 of 173
Thanks a lot!
Haha, I bet the XB1000 will be awesome. I'll wait with asking the XB700 for my birthday, haha. I hope the XB1000 will be released soon so that we can all hear what it's like and if it is worth the top spot in the XB line.

Mar 17, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #60 of 173
i am really doubting to buy the xb500 i have the xb700 now and wow it is banging with my creative x-fi style so much better then when connected with my logitech Z-2300 that has an amp but the bass on my creative is soooo much better the impact is a real knock-out!!! but my question is the xb700 has 24 ohm and is perfect in volume i also have the jvc rx700 that has 48 ohm and goes way too soft in volume so the xb500 is 40 ohm will it go louder then the xb700 which i doubt but read that it also has to do with power input or something....?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back