Sony MDR-XB1000 vs Denon AH-D2000 - Coming from XB700's
Dec 30, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #61 of 131
I forgot to add that I find the D2000 having lesser clamping force and softer pads. This is a good thing and a bad thing. While in theory it makes the D2000 a little more comfortable, it really doesn't because it makes me worried to drop them if I make sudden head movements. Things like that stresses you out a bit in the long run. Though I have tested to make them fall off my head and haven't succeeded yet, but still a little unnerving. If you have a bigger head it wouldn't apply to you, I reckon.

Oh, and lastly, if I were to drop either of these on the ground, I'd want it to be the Ultrasones. It seems to be built like a tank, while the D2000 seems a lot more fragile.

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #62 of 131

Quote:
I forgot to add that I find the D2000 having lesser clamping force and softer pads. This is a good thing and a bad thing. While in theory it makes the D2000 a little more comfortable, it really doesn't because it makes me worried to drop them if I make sudden head movements. Things like that stresses you out a bit in the long run. Though I have tested to make them fall off my head and haven't succeeded yet, but still a little unnerving. If you have a bigger head it wouldn't apply to you, I reckon.

Oh, and lastly, if I were to drop either of these on the ground, I'd want it to be the Ultrasones. It seems to be built like a tank, while the D2000 seems a lot more fragile.

I would agree on these just by seeing pics :)
Although i prefer comfort - that said, you have to give the pro900's some time - maybe in a month or so, like with your denon's they might open up a little (become less clamped?)

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #63 of 131

Quote:
I would agree on these just by seeing pics :)
Although i prefer comfort - that said, you have to give the pro900's some time - maybe in a month or so, like with your denon's they might open up a little (become less clamped?)

Of course, these are as said first impressions. Oh well, I hope I helped you a little with my impressions. Again, both are pretty new though the D2000's got a month on the Pro 900, so take everything I mentioned with a grain of salt. They might both still change character a bit. Or I might get more used to them both physically and sound wise.. I did a rather big change to my gear stable only a month ago - got rid of some headphones, sold some and got money to invest in new gear. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #65 of 131
No problems my friend. Happy new year to you! *Listenin' to A-HA - Sun always shines on TV through the Pro 900*

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #66 of 131
I have owned both headphones in question and based on your taste I would point you to the XB1000, its a very comfortable headphone with a great bass response and it has plenty room for those big ears.

I do love the sound signature of the Denon AH-D line.

But I would definitely amp them, the FiiO E11 would be a nice match, I ran my XB's with my FiiO combo and they sounded great for my Detroit Techno sessions.

FiiO E11 review

Dec 31, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #67 of 131
Well I have already purchased the D2k's - So I shall post my opinions on them, as soon as I get to hear them :)

PS.
The company Peter Tyson, is very understanding and great to communicate with.
I asked for a 1-2day extension on their 14day return policy, and they said it wasn't a problem.

They also understood that it would be find to try them on (open the box)!!

I hope I like the d2k's - problem with the 900's is that the highs might not be too much to my taste (looking at the graph) + comparing it to the denon c710 earphones
Then when it comes to the xb1k's i don't know if they would provide a notable difference vs my xb700's.

There are only 1 or 2 reviews of the xb1k's vs the xb700's - I would love to see more opinions, and more reviews about the comparison between the two.

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #68 of 131
There was a whole thread on the XB1000, and quite a few people gave impressions there.

The 1000 are a pretty polarizing headphone, though.  A few of us like it quite a bit, but many dislike it pretty strongly.  I think it depends on whether people have a strong low-impedance amp for them.

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #69 of 131

Quote:
There was a whole thread on the XB1000, and quite a few people gave impressions there.

The 1000 are a pretty polarizing headphone, though.  A few of us like it quite a bit, but many dislike it pretty strongly.  I think it depends on whether people have a strong low-impedance amp for them.

what if one doesn't have an amp at all - I'll be driving (as said in OP), only through my phone, or my logitech z-5500 sound system.
(Although my phone does have an internal amp app)

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #71 of 131

Well i have not done a direct comparison ,i may do tomorrow if i get the time , but as you can see from that graph and if i am reading it right they both have a spike in the upper mids/lower treble area ,almost at the identical frequency range ,and that is the part of there sound signature that is most dominant to my ears,both being quite aggressive in that area, which is what i think i said to you before ,looks like the the upper treble is much more extended on the pr0 900 and yes that fits with my memory of the c710 ,(not used them for at least a month ) .If i am reading that graph right it is saying that the denon have much better sub bass than the 900 ,correct ? or is it the other way round ?
Quote:

Luco, how do the C710's earphones compare to the Pro 900's highs?
Seems to be the opposite no?

I know this is comparing earphones with headphones, just need to get a better picture in my head (possibly?)

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #74 of 131
i have the xb500 and i compared them to the xb1000, i was looking for a bass heavy headphones and the 500 did the job for both mid and sub, unfortunately the 1000 didn't..... they are worth the price but the 500 were much better in terms of price however the 500 were a bit small i have big ears too but they just fit, the sound is very upfront and made all music sound so fast and fun but the soundstage is below average nothing to special, the 1000 were a bit boring,comparing 500s and to the deonons, the denonds are better then both in terms of SQ, they aren't as deep but they were still present and fun,but if in the end i got the 500's if i had to pick again i would get the Panasonic htf600, very similar to the 500's and if i had to pick again the D2000 would be my choice, in your case check out the htf600 but the D2000 is a high recommendation

PS: unfortunately i was never able to try the xb 700 :frowning2:
PSS: the pro 900 were way out of my budget also :frowning2:

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #75 of 131
I do not place much faith in Graphs anyway as they are funny things anyway and only tell half the story, they are measured by a machine right ? and not a human ear further more everybody's hearing and perception of sound is different ,the only true way to find out how something sounds is to try it yourself .
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back