Sony MDR-XB1000 vs Denon AH-D2000 - Coming from XB700's
Dec 29, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #16 of 131

Quote:
Sounds about right 

Cheers Luco

Quote:
Just get the D2000. The Pro900 is over your budget and the XB1000 is like a novelty over-sized XB700 that has a bigger soundstage and less bass presence across the board.  

Interesting to see you had the d2k's + xb1k's
How would you compare the xb1k's with the xb700's?

I think I'm feeling that they aren't worth the extra money on top?

Dec 29, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #17 of 131
Well I've not had the D2K, I'm extrapolating backwards from the D7K lol.

The XB1000 was disappointing to me although I'm sure some people like it. I had the XB500, 700 and 1000 simultaneously and I just didn't think the 1000 was worth the extra money over the 700. It's bass was less visceral in mid-bass thump and sub-bass rumble compared to the XB700 and I'm not really bothered about soundstage size. For me the XB700 and it's more in your face presentation was preferable, especially at less than half the price of the XB1000. 

If you do end up going for it though, Accessory Jack is where I got mine from. They are a trustworthy retailer.

If you lived near Clapham you could come round and listen to my cans, although my flat mates would probably find it weird lol. They already can't understand why I have so many headphones!

Dec 29, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #18 of 131

Quote:
Well I've not had the D2K, I'm extrapolating backwards from the D7K lol.

The XB1000 was disappointing to me although I'm sure some people like it. I had the XB500, 700 and 1000 simultaneously and I just didn't think the 1000 was worth the extra money over the 700. It's bass was less visceral in mid-bass thump and sub-bass rumble compared to the XB700 and I'm not really bothered about soundstage size. For me the XB700 and it's more in your face presentation was preferable, especially at less than half the price of the XB1000. 

If you do end up going for it though, Accessory Jack is where I got mine from. They are a trustworthy retailer.

If you lived near Clapham you could come round and listen to my cans, although my flat mates would probably find it weird lol. They already can't understand why I have so many headphones!

Oh wow :D!
Well in fact I live in london, but on placement for 1yr in Paris - I am coming to the UK mind you, but will be in birmingham...Might shoot u a PM if I get the chance to be near london :D!

PS.
I guess that's a fair enough description of the xb1k's considering you had the 500 & 700's.

About the bass presence, wouldn't you say though, that that same "theory" applies for the XB500's vs the 700's then?

Dec 29, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #19 of 131

Quote:
About the bass presence, wouldn't you say though, that that same "theory" applies for the XB500's vs the 700's then?

My problem was the XB1000 didn't really fit in anywhere. It wasn't as bassy as the XB700/500, so they are both cheaper options for "fun". Similarly, it lacked the refinement of the D7000 and Pro900 to be a better "hi-fi" alternative to those. I know those are considerably more expensive, but based on that I'm going to say that the D2000 is probably a better option than it as you still have your XB700 as a bass cannon.

Dec 29, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #20 of 131

Quote:

My problem was the XB1000 didn't really fit in anywhere. It wasn't as bassy as the XB700/500, so they are both cheaper options for "fun". Similarly, it lacked the refinement of the D7000 and Pro900 to be a better "hi-fi" alternative to those. I know those are considerably more expensive, but based on that I'm going to say that the D2000 is probably a better option than it as you still have your XB700 as a bass cannon.

Cheers fore that :)
I shall try and listen to them at HMV when I'm back, if I like them I shall buy them.

Problem is, £250 is the cheapest they are, and the Pro900's can be found (used) for £200.
Maybe I should look for used d2k's? For say £120 or so?

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #21 of 131
I'm sure someone will come in the thread and say how awesome the XB1000 is now! 
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #22 of 131

Quote:
biggrin.gif

haha!

Well I did think about it - about the XB700's vs the 1k's and in some respect, maybe I need something different, not to be on the same sound sig, same brand all the time :)

It all depends if the d2k's or u900's (which according to my head-fi guru, luco aren't worth it) are actually worth £250 or so

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #23 of 131

Quote:

XB1000 is awesome
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

They are "special",lol, but not bad at all, we must get used to, but with the correct type of music, they can be excellent in their way.

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #24 of 131
I haven't heard the XB1000 so I can't speak about them, but I do own the D2000 and will hopefully get my Pro 900 tomorrow.

About the D2000: what strikes you the first is the massive bass, which is just as good from the sub bass up to the high bass. After a while you start recognizing the mids and the treble, and ultimately you'll recognize that it does a good job across the whole audible frequency range - which in my case is up until 14k or something like that. I have bad hearing from childhood and from work .. Anyway, the D2000 really has good bass, but it's not overpowering everything else on the frequency range. I downloaded some bass test cd and ran through some bass tests and it really shines with all kinds of bass. I'm interested to see how it will fare against the Pro 900.

Though I should point out that I'm not looking for the greatest amount of bass or the greatest impact or so. I just want a bass that is powerful but melts into the sound at the same time. I rarely listen to dubstep or d'n'b - but I still want it there!

If you want to go cheaper, there's always the Pro700 mk II .. I haven't heard it either, but it's said to be a basshead can first and foremost.

If you want to, I can post some initial D2000 vs Pro 900 feelings tomorrow in this thread - but keep in mind that the Pro 900 is brand new and if you believe in burn in, then it might not mean so much.

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #25 of 131

Quote:
If you want to go cheaper, there's always the Pro700 mk II

I have never read a good review from Pro700MKII, even basshead seem to find this headphone too bassy (too much bass kill all).

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #26 of 131
amazon.de offers d2k at a very interesting pricea the moment (brand new for 200 Eur + moderate shipping fee).
As you know, amazon offers 30 day return.
If you do not care for the return option, I am willing to part with my lightly used ex-demo d2000 (I am in Brussels), - let's negotiate...
Why I am willing to sell them? - I concluded that I only dig portable solutions, and D2000 is too clumsy for me. And I like tighter, less pronounced bass (I am used to my Lowther speakers, which are fast and lively, but have very limited bass), so I'll rather stick to DT 1350, T5P and HD 25 Adidas.
If you can tolerate supraaural phones, by all means check out HD 25-1 II and DT 1350; If you like comfotable phones, lush sound and generous bass, D2000 may be the way to go. But that won't be the most detailed and controled presentation, - it was fun all right, but I was fed up after a few month.

Dec 29, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #27 of 131

Quote:
I have never read a good review from Pro700MKII, even basshead seem to find this headphone too bassy (too much bass kill all).

I've read some positive reviews of it. However, I wouldn't recommend looking it up if it wasn't for the supposedly massive bass they have. The mental picture I have of them is that they are practically two miniature sub woofers strapped to your head.

If bass is the purpose, as in "UK bass" (grime, dubstep, d'n'b etc.), then it might at least be an interesting candidate..

Dec 29, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #28 of 131

Quote:
If bass is the purpose, as in "UK bass" (grime, dubstep, d'n'b etc.), then it might at least be an interesting candidate..

Being a mid centric lover, I 'd probably pass my way, but I'd like to test it,lol

Dec 29, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #29 of 131

Quote:

Being a mid centric lover, I 'd probably pass my way, but I'd like to test it,lol

Yeah, it would be an interesting can to test some day. But I don't think I'd buy it. Who knows though, maybe it would fit TS fine :)

As said though, I haven't tried it so I couldn't agree that bass is all it does well. 

Dec 29, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #30 of 131

Quote:
I haven't heard the XB1000 so I can't speak about them, but I do own the D2000 and will hopefully get my Pro 900 tomorrow.

About the D2000: what strikes you the first is the massive bass, which is just as good from the sub bass up to the high bass. After a while you start recognizing the mids and the treble, and ultimately you'll recognize that it does a good job across the whole audible frequency range - which in my case is up until 14k or something like that. I have bad hearing from childhood and from work .. Anyway, the D2000 really has good bass, but it's not overpowering everything else on the frequency range. I downloaded some bass test cd and ran through some bass tests and it really shines with all kinds of bass. I'm interested to see how it will fare against the Pro 900.

Though I should point out that I'm not looking for the greatest amount of bass or the greatest impact or so. I just want a bass that is powerful but melts into the sound at the same time. I rarely listen to dubstep or d'n'b - but I still want it there!

If you want to go cheaper, there's always the Pro700 mk II .. I haven't heard it either, but it's said to be a basshead can first and foremost.

If you want to, I can post some initial D2000 vs Pro 900 feelings tomorrow in this thread - but keep in mind that the Pro 900 is brand new and if you believe in burn in, then it might not mean so much.

I would LOVE that :)
Greatly appreciated if you do :D!

Quote:
amazon.de offers d2k at a very interesting pricea the moment (brand new for 200 Eur + moderate shipping fee).
As you know, amazon offers 30 day return.
If you do not care for the return option, I am willing to part with my lightly used ex-demo d2000 (I am in Brussels), - let's negotiate...
Why I am willing to sell them? - I concluded that I only dig portable solutions, and D2000 is too clumsy for me. And I like tighter, less pronounced bass (I am used to my Lowther speakers, which are fast and lively, but have very limited bass), so I'll rather stick to DT 1350, T5P and HD 25 Adidas.
If you can tolerate supraaural phones, by all means check out HD 25-1 II and DT 1350; If you like comfotable phones, lush sound and generous bass, D2000 may be the way to go. But that won't be the most detailed and controled presentation, - it was fun all right, but I was fed up after a few month.

Well we should negotiate via PM, not ina  rush right now, but would be great to see what price you may offer them at.
About amazon.DE = that is a great price, but I don't know if they are willing to post to france/UK - I'll check now though!

HD25 range isn't for me. I don't need anything portable. my TFTA1XB's earphones cover portability like a charm :D

EDIT:
YES, i can order them for 208€ shipped to FRANCE - so this would be a great deal - 1yr through amazon (warranty) I don't have to go to denon + brand new for £175.
I wonder how much cheaper I can get them...from you maybe :p?

Quote:
I've read some positive reviews of it. However, I wouldn't recommend looking it up if it wasn't for the supposedly massive bass they have. The mental picture I have of them is that they are practically two miniature sub woofers strapped to your head.

I love UK bass - so it would be lovely to see what you make of them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back