Sony MDR-XB1000 Impressions and pictures
Feb 27, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #16 of 29

Quote:
Hmm..ya, I've found this on the XB700 too, spacious and forward sounding without much position/directional definition and it was fun
I'd like to try it with Dolby Headphones but no luck so far :p

Yea I didn't experience very clear position/directional definition on XB700 but suprisingly I found XB500 to provide better 3D positional cues even if soundstage might have been tiny bit smaller but still well above average for a closed can and it being more forward sounding than XB700 and especially more immersive from games like Oblivion from thunder sound effects etc. Especially in games it became apparent, I had expected the opposite really so I had to test it thoroughly be able to determine it's not something I'm making up. I'm not using dolby headphone but something corresponding solution from kX Audio drivers that works magnificient, sounds more realistic than Realtek HD onboard sound's Dolby headphone support at least that I've compared it to. I'm finding the XB500 to be really fun headphones to game with that provide very immersive experience due to the forward sound with great 3D positional cues and strong bass. Other people might prefer laid-back sound for gaming but for me forward sound is definitely preferred but if it ruins the soundstage which is the case for majority of headphones with a more forward sound, then it's not wanted but that's not the case I'm finding with Sony XB500/700 though. OK XB700 wasn't quite that bad either but I definitely enjoyed gaming better whit XB500 when I did the side by side comparision. Anyway XB series have quite uncommon sound signatures so it's not difficult to understand why some people are liking them because they are quite a special mix when it comes to sound signature that isn't very typical, XB500 more so than XB700. I mean if you think about it, not many headphones have a very warm and forward sound signature, yet providing a spacious/airy/decent sized soundstage for a semi-closed headphone and provide highly emphasized bass that doesn't totally ruin overall sound quality for such a small price.

As far as EQing goes, I personally enjoy EQing headphones so for me it's not a problem especially when I discovered the wonderful EQ I use. Even if I bought something like LCD-2 I'd still probably try to EQ it a bit. :p

Feb 27, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #17 of 29
I really hope that the XB1000 are not that bad. I just sent back the ATH-PRO500BK because the bass was...well...non-existant.

Hopefully the OP can get his hands on the XB700 or XB500 and see how they compare to these "ear-pillows" in regards to overall sound signature. Or better yet...send them to RPG 
darthsmile.gif

Feb 27, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #18 of 29

Quote:
Anyway XB series have quite uncommon sound signatures so it's not difficult to understand why some people are liking them because they are quite a special mix when it comes to sound signature that isn't very typical, XB500 more so than XB700. I mean if you think about it, not many headphones have a very warm and forward sound signature, yet providing a spacious/airy/decent sized soundstage for a semi-closed headphone and provide highly emphasized bass that doesn't totally ruin overall sound quality for such a small price.  

Yea the XB series' sound signature is quite special and fun. I like the way that while emphasizing the bass, the highs are pretty smooth which I thought would be harsh. The soundstage presentation and comfy level also make it very enjoyable.

Just noticed arrival of this at Jaben Singapore forum.. It was last Sat but I won't be free to go for a try before this Fri, hope the stock will last..
Seems to be damn pricey but no harm to give it a try :D

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #19 of 29
Hey thanks for the review.

How do they compare to the V MODA Crossfades??

Because I'm really close to getting the Crossfades....

I currently have the V MODA Vibes and I'm LOVING the vibes, will I like this??

Feb 28, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #21 of 29

Quote:
When are you planning to marry your XB500 RPG?
tongue.gif

Ditto :p

but he's mighty good at persuasion, guess he learnt a lot from gray fox :p

And my first pair of phones are guess what ? xb500 and on their way :p and i hope they sound nice, because i listened to some xb300's and they were pretty bad, but maybe because the source was bad :|

Won't derail this thread, getting back to the topic

@OP: i noticed you said that you said that you did not feel that you needed to EQ a headphone as they should sound great out-of-box but everyone is different and so is everyone's desired sound signature, since you already have them , maybe try EQ'ing them, and really interested in hearing on your opinion on them vs the xb700 or 500's.

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #22 of 29
My XB700 should arrive tomorrow. Stay tuned for the Unboxing and comparison against the XB1000.

Feb 28, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #23 of 29

Quote:
It has enough bass, it's just not fast and punchy bass.

have you herd any of the other XB series, its not punch it's boom they go for.

Feb 28, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #24 of 29

Quote:
My XB700 should arrive tomorrow. Stay tuned for the Unboxing and comparison against the XB1000.

waiting :p , pretty interested as my xb500's are on my way and i cannot wait :p
Quote:
have you herd any of the other XB series, its not punch it's boom they go for.

Just one more day, and then we'll know

Feb 28, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #25 of 29
Thanks for the impressions.  I'm not surprised.  As others have said the xb500 and xb700 (which are really quite different in sound) are unique.  In some ways they are awful.  In some ways they are fabulous, and in others just competent.  Unfortunately the xb700 seems like something designed by the marketing department.  Bigger isn't necessarily better when it comes to drivers.  The xb500 to me is the one that is really special.  Part of what makes it special is that for $40 you can get a truly unique set of headphones that sound like nothing else and still provide a fun listening experience.  They are also supercomfortable.

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #26 of 29
I've had the XB1000's for one day. They are great- I was worried after reading this thread, but for electronica and dance music they are excellent. I listen to a variety of music and purchased these with electronic, bass driven music in mind and I'm not disappointed. I'm listening through my Headstage Arrow (bass on i - imp on 0 & gain on ii), and listening to some deep trance (on iPhone 4). Soundstage is tight but expands quite wide when the mix needs it to, bass is deep and rich, mids are clear & play in harmony with the bass. Not too much treble in what I'm listening to, but I don't think I'll be listening to any Strauss with these cans regularly. Bottom line IMO is that these are fun headphones and as the name suggests - for listening to bass oriented music. Very happy.

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #27 of 29
In case you guys missed my comparison thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/542885/final-thoughts-sony-mdr-xb1000-vs-mdr-xb700-pictures

Feb 27, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #29 of 29
I always wanted a pair of these. I still have the XB700s that kicked off my headphone obsession that I take out from time to time and listen to. They're surprisingly competent for what they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back