Sony MDR-V700DJ revisited
Jul 25, 2003 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
I was reasonably good at the haggling... saved quite a bit over TSP. Why get one? I wanted an option for the closed Grato transplant in case the drivers would not fit inside the V500 chassis. I'm also thinking it would be a nice Head-Fi irony to have the Grato drivers in the V700 body
smily_headphones1.gif

As a chassis, the V700 is superb quality. More on such mods later but I wanted to post about the general characteristics of the standard MDR-V700DJ, which I think aren't that bad after listening to them again. This will be in several brief parts and I'll post on portable experiences and home experiences.

The first thing any non-DJ owner of the MDR-V700DJ should do is to pull the earpads off, and remove the two foam/cloth discs stacked on top of each other in the middle of the phone. The top pad is in there to muffle the high frequencies which can pierce the ears at high volume, and the bottom pad is in there to 'guide' the bass. As a normal volume listener, you don't need HF cuts and you don't need additional 'boom' to the bass. The discs are not glued in place so you should be able to peel them off without any problems. The foam pad can be put back in place if you feel the V700 is exhibiting too much treble.

There is one more piece you can remove or replace which is inside the phone. The interesting thing about the V700 from my point of view is the significant changes that can be brought about by a process of very simple elimination. The drivers themselves aren't bad at all for a $100 phone. I like the way it snaps closed, and I like the way I can push it folded, when it does so with a thump. I even like the way it looks. Wearing the V700 is another matter and it definitely needs chiselled superfly DJ looks to make the most of the phone's appearance. I do not fit into this category by any stretch of the imagination and therefore look a bit ridiculous...
plainface.gif
Comfort is fine for portable use, although home use may be a problem. I'd also forgotten how incredibly easy to drive these are. I could nearly deafen myself with the D-EJ2000 and no phone has ever had that effect. I have the PXC250 on 100% and it's fine but I wouldn't mind more. With the V700 I could have the volume at 40% and it would be slightly louder than the PXC.

The MDR-V500 is in my opinion the very definition of V-CRAP. There's no bass (on a DJ phone?), the driver belongs to a phone about half the price and it feels pretty cheap. The V700 is another animal altogether, and I think it's been slightly hard done by at Head-Fi mainly by people who probably haven't used it (now there's a surprise... not).

More later.

Trial sources: Sony D-EJ2000 discman, Apple iPod (when it comes back from repair), Sony SCD-XA777ES + heavily modded WAD amp. I'll also try sitting through Saving Private Ryan on them.

Jul 25, 2003 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 31
Whats the best combo to maximize the bass on this headphone? My brother just got a pair and wants more bass lol..

Biggie.

Jul 25, 2003 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Whats the best combo to maximize the bass on this headphone? My brother just got a pair and wants more bass lol..

Biggie.

LOL as well.. but the last 10-20hz or so out of the V700 are a disappointment, mainly because too much emphasis is put on the higher bass frequencies. The phone has the low down response (it's there if you focus on it) but it's overwhelmed by the weighting in favour of the slightly higher bass frequencies. I'm playing about with at the moment, but a lot of this response weighting is in the drivers. But some additional work might yield useful results.

(This isn't something you'd necessarily notice unless you owned phones which resolved in a flatter way. )

Jul 25, 2003 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by dokebi
If this goes well perhaps I will try grado 80 drivers in a dead sony v6 body.
smily_headphones1.gif

the closed design of the V6 would kill your grados! just put the palm of your hand over the SR80's while listening and you'll see what i mean
eek.gif

Jul 25, 2003 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
The first thing any non-DJ owner of the MDR-V700DJ should do is to pull the earpads off, and remove the two foam/cloth discs stacked on top of each other in the middle of the phone. The top pad is in there to muffle the high frequencies which can pierce the ears at high volume, and the bottom pad is in there to 'guide' the bass. As a normal volume listener, you don't need HF cuts and you don't need additional 'boom' to the bass. The discs are not glued in place so you should be able to peel them off without any problems. The foam pad can be put back in place if you feel the V700 is exhibiting too much treble.

Heheheh. Before Head-Fi was even born, ai0tron (who was ai_god over at Headwize) tried pretty much the same thing...
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 25, 2003 at 7:01 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by el_diablo007
the closed design of the V6 would kill your grados! just put the palm of your hand over the SR80's while listening and you'll see what i mean
eek.gif

Not quite true. Different things can be engineered into a closed phone... it's not as simple as holding your hands over the openings to judge how a driver behaves in a closed phone application.

Jul 25, 2003 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 31
bangraman, can you post pictures of your "modded" V700? I unfortunately have one and would not mind it being a little better, but I want to see what you're talking about before I go ripping apart such a pricey device.

NotoriousBIG_PJ, this probably isn't an acceptable configuration, but the V700s and an Audigy ( with one of its many equalization options set right ) will cause the things to kind of vibrate right off your head.

The V700 seems like a perfect choice for a driver transplant. The build quality really is great, and they are slick, not to mention the 50mm driver space. Grados aren't that big, are they? Only problem is that I find them to be fairly uncomfortable.

Jul 25, 2003 at 8:27 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by itim100
NotoriousBIG_PJ, this probably isn't an acceptable configuration, but the V700s and an Audigy ( with one of its many equalization options set right ) will cause the things to kind of vibrate right off your head.

Thats the kind of "bass" I'm refering to hehe. Good to know..

Biggie.

Jul 26, 2003 at 2:49 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by itim100
bangraman, can you post pictures of your "modded" V700? I unfortunately have one and would not mind it being a little better, but I want to see what you're talking about before I go ripping apart such a pricey device.

You can start with the discs. You can see the partially removed discs here.

v700in.jpg

I've also already replaced the pads with a graduated height pad which improves comfort by a lot.

v700ang.jpg

(----------------->>> Front)

Apart from that anything else does involve a trip inside the phones. The felt pads you can replace with other items, or even with a structure...

Jul 26, 2003 at 4:17 PM Post #11 of 31
what did you use for an alternate pad for the V700? I would be interested in picking up a pair of V700's and making these changes....

Jul 26, 2003 at 6:27 PM Post #13 of 31
A lot of the spare pads I have from various phones fit the V700. I used one of them and re-stuffed it with a graduated height foam. There's practically no foam at the front, extending to a full cushion at the rear. (simply explained, you stuff a C-shaped foam piece which tapers heavily at the ends, or you cut the original stuffing that way) The idea is that the rear foam tracks the contours of your earlobe and supports the phone on the back of your head, while the front is as close to the drivers as possible.

Surprisingly these are not A-T pads and they would be too big. I like the results with the Technics RP-FT30 pads and pads I got off a phone I can't remember (a Philips wireless phone I had a while ago I think). Another alternative could be cutting a couple of incisions into the V700 pads to cut away the front foam, then insert a C-tapered variation of gerG's A-T phatpad mods in order to supplement the foam at the rear. You'll have to experiment I'm afraid.

Jul 26, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #15 of 31
The problem with the V700's pads is actually the opposite: They're too soft. Having said that they are no worse to wear (i.e. equally annoying) around the ear than the V6.

I wonder if the DT770 pads will fit the V700?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back