Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506? Differences?
Jul 14, 2013 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

randomalt

New Head-Fier
I'm in the market to get a properly decent, yet reasonably-priced, pair of headphones right now, as my mediocre Sony MDR-NC22s are about to kick the bucket.

After trying an MDR-V6 at a Sony outlet store, I fell in love with the set for its price, since it seems to outperform absolutely any pair of headphones that I've used (including sets that I've demoed at various hi-fi stores like Audio Technicas and that one B&W set), ever, and at an unexpectedly low price point.

Now, the V6 is selling for $79 on Amazon (3rd party seller... a bit dodgy), while the 7506 is going for $77 (direct from Amazon). Are these prices good, and is the "upgrade" to go with the 7506 really an upgrade? How do they compare?

At a glance, what do these mean?
  • 5Hz - 30kHz vs 10Hz - 20kHz... How big is the difference?
  • Common v. individual grounds, and the effect that it has on the sound?
  • Samarium cobalt v. neodymium magnets, and the effect that it has on the sound?
  • Overall sound quality and differences between the two?
  • The only thing that I really know is the gold-plated jack :p.

If it helps, the applications aren't particularly elaborate...yet. Currently, my gear is my computer (Asus Z87-DELUXE's onboard sound), Samsung Galaxy S GT-i9000 (Wolfson WM8994) and my Galaxy S4 GT-i9505 (Snapdragon 600 onboard).

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 11
I would say to buy some used MDR-V6 or MDR-7506, which ever is cheaper and buy some Beyerdynamic EDT200/250 Velour ear pads ($23) for them.

Jul 14, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 11
Try Google. There are various discussions comparing these on the web already: https://www.google.com/search?q=sony+v6+vs+7506&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS516US516&oq=sony+v6+vs+7506

Jul 15, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 11
I would say to buy some used MDR-V6 or MDR-7506, which ever is cheaper and buy some Beyerdynamic EDT200/250 Velour ear pads ($23) for them.

Any particular reason why used? These aren't particularly expensive new. Advantages of the Beyerdynamic pads?

Try Google. There are various discussions comparing these on the web already: https://www.google.com/search?q=sony+v6+vs+7506&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS516US516&oq=sony+v6+vs+7506

Uh, yeah, I've done that. Hence the bullet points. What do these differences mean?

Very helpful, you were...

Jul 15, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 11
Uh, yeah, I've done that. Hence the bullet points. What do these differences mean?

Very helpful, you were...

No need to be insulting if you want people to help you. One of your "bullet points" asked for "Overall sound quality and differences between the two." :rolleyes:

Jul 15, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 11
All Googling gets me is the exact same thing.

The Google search I gave you links to many different discussions (some at head-fi) about whether or not and what the differences are between the two headphones. Nothing new to be shared here.

:deadhorse:

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Any particular reason why used? These aren't particularly expensive new. Advantages of the Beyerdynamic pads?

Chances are that a used V6/7506 with worn out ear pads is going to have a low price.
and if you are getting the EDT200/250 ear pads, might as well save a few dollars on the headphones.

I got the EDT 200/250 Velour pads for my MDR-V6 for comfort, I did not care about how it affected audio quality.

I think Sony made the V6 and 7506 seem as much as different as possible for marketing purposes.
But they are really not that much different in audio quality, if you like bass, you might like the V6s a little better.

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 11
I had also had the same question recently and after reading up I learned that both headphones are made with the exact same hardware (Sony rep), but are wired differently. The V6 is said to be smoother sounding and no shrill highs that the 7506 has.

Jul 15, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 11
   Both of these headphones are quite confusing to discern between, but there are some key differences:
  1. The V6 is marketed as a studio headphone, while the V506 is for professional use.
  2. The V6 has more bass and smoothens out the treble, while the V506 is the opposite. I think that because of this sound sig difference the V506 is better suited for recording as it seems to be more revealing. Whichever you choose, they're both good in their own right -- and they're still in production.

Hope this helps!

Jul 16, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #11 of 11
The 7506 has a slightly stronger magnet, which seems to make it a bit brighter and with less bass(why I don't know).

With the included earpads the V6 might make your ears very sweaty. Replaced the earpads with the Beyerdynamic DT250 velour earpads adds to the comfort and cuts down on the sweatiness, but also decreases the bass. You can always order the velour earpads later if you feel you need them.

You can get the Sony V6 for $69 with free US shipping from B&H (which is very reliable). B&H has the velour earpads as well, and even has sheepskin ones(I haven't tried those yet).

Another inexpensive headphone that impressed me is the JVC HAS400. It has great detail. For under $25 it is a steal.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/358337-REG/Sony_MDRV6_MDR_V6_Closed_Back.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back