Sony mdr-v55 or AKG k172hd
Oct 31, 2012 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

evilqwerty

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm buying my first semi-decent pair of headphones.  I don't think I'll use them outdoors.  I like lots of bass, but treble is more important to me.

Due to budget, I'd narrowed it down to

Sony mdr-v55 for $60CAD and
AKG k172hd for $100CAD.

Which pair sounds better in general? Which pair performs better at low, mid, and high frequency range?

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #2 of 5
I've had the K172HD. If you like bass, stay away.
The bass is clean, but has basically zero impact. You won't feel it whatsoever.

There are definitely other headphones worth checking out in your price range. Try the recommendation thread here?

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 5
These links?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op

I'm in Canada and it's much harder to find a decent pair for around $100.  I can't buy used either because I'll get scammed.

Thanks viralcow, no way in hell I'm getting the AKG.

Nov 1, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks guys, believe it or not that was very helpful! I did a bunch of research before I posted because some people thought the k172hd was bassy, although most agree that they have clean and solid but low volume bass. But I didn't expect that you can't even feel it.

I like the v55 for $60 deal, but I really want to spend more for nicer mids and highs. If anyone can give me some quick recommendations, it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, I'll just order the v55's. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back