Sony MDR R10 - some TLC and a recable for an old set
May 31, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #46 of 56
Quote:

Lemon oil and varnish do not usually get along very well. mineral oils are the only way to go IMO...

Yeah ive heard pros and cons for both. ive never had a problem with either to be honest. Some people say that processed oils and waxes (most bore oils) actually clog the pores and fine structure of the wood fibers and hinder the transfer of moisture to the wood structure.

My friend is a guitar player in a fairly big UK band, he uses 'guitar honey' http://www.amazon.com/Gerlitz-GEGHO-Guitar-Honey-Fingerboard/dp/B000EEJF4O (he uses it on his headphones too on the wood elements).

he has a naked wood style finish on his guitar and he swears by it.

May 31, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #47 of 56
Quote:
Lemon oil and varnish do not usually get along very well. mineral oils are the only way to go IMO...

Dang, I used lemon oil on my RS1 wooden box! I was actually advised against mineral oil. The guy at the store told me mineral oil was used to remove the finish of a wood... I guess he was mixing up two different kinds of mineral oil, of different purpose?

Anyway, nothing is happening to the precious RS1 contained by the box.

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #48 of 56
Quote:

Dang, I used lemon oil on my RS1 wooden box! I was actually advised against mineral oil. The guy at the store told me mineral oil was used to remove the finish of a wood... I guess he was mixing up two different kinds of mineral oil, of different purpose?

Anyway, nothing is happening to the precious RS1 contained by the box.

Don't worry, if you only used it once it's not going to burn your box down
biggrin.gif

I personally use that when it comes to my instruments, including the ones I've built :
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17628

I believe that stevie ray vaughan's tech used it on srv's guitars.
It's nice because it dries fast, and It doesn't get greasy when it's stuck between the frets and the fingerboard.. but you won't get lemon oil's wonderful smell.

I must say that I've never had any single problem using lemon oil on my instruments. but pretty much every luthier on earth has a different opinion on it, and I prefer not to play with fire.

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #49 of 56
Quote:
Now if I can find phones that do most of what R10 does right for less than $2,000, I will be a happy headfier.

I'd recommend looking into the new Fostex TH900. You should be able to find it for less than $2,000 USD (I got mine for $1750). I've heard from an R10 owner that it has similar qualities, and I'll be able to confirm this for myself either way when I receive my R10 later this month.

On a semi-related note, I've also heard that the Lawton Audio LA7000 is similar to the R10 in some ways as well (tonality perhaps), and the TH900 is essentially the superior older sibling to the D7000 on which the LA7000 is based, so perhaps there's something to it.

Jun 4, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #50 of 56
Quote:

On a semi-related note, I've also heard that the Lawton Audio LA7000 is similar to the R10 in some ways as well (tonality perhaps), and the TH900 is essentially the superior older sibling to the D7000 on which the LA7000 is based, so perhaps there's something to it.

i've heard the la7k & r10 in the same system, although not at the same time, and i do not think they sound alike. the r10 is a very smooth and voluptuous listen whereas i found the la7k much more brash, less tonally accurate or soothing, and perhaps a bit bombastic.
i think nikongod had a similar take.

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #52 of 56
Nice info on the R10.  Glad that the recabled job turned out successfully.  It is an extremely risky operation to remove the driver as you can easily damaged the voice coil.

Jun 10, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #53 of 56
Quote:

i've heard the la7k & r10 in the same system, although not at the same time, and i do not think they sound alike. the r10 is a very smooth and voluptuous listen whereas i found the la7k much more brash, less tonally accurate or soothing, and perhaps a bit bombastic.
i think nikongod had a similar take.

And mine was 180 out, in the same system at the same time I preferred the Lawton's can. We all hear/listen differently though.

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #54 of 56
Quote:
And mine was 180 out, in the same system at the same time I preferred the Lawton's can. We all hear/listen differently though.

it sounds like you too did not find them all that similar sounding. please correct me if i'm misunderstanding you.

Apr 3, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #55 of 56
This older set of R10's are coming along nicely now. Frank has finished the cable, and put carbon fibre plugs on them with high grade silver pins, with a matching carbon fibre y splitter. I think they look great, and I can't wait to hear them again at the end of next week. They sounded awesome single ended so im hoping balanced opens the soundstage a little further.

ill post a few pictures Frank (Kabelmeister) of Toxic Cables sent me a short while ago. I notice the little jewels on them too, nice touch and very pretty!

I will get the pads replaced with ones I got with this set http://www.head-fi.org/t/608633/sony-mdr-r10-number-0808-mint-and-boxed-arrived-today and replace the foam also.

After this last stage, they should sound as good as new (or even better?).

A British gentleman have kindly sold this pair of headphone and it went back to tokyo to a collector which have connection and found someone to repaired (re-tune) the channel balance of driver and now the headphone also have upgraded with furutech carbon shielded rhodium plated 3pin XLR and have its XLR to 6.5 connection cable re terminated with Furutech carbon shielded rhodium plated 4.4 Pentagon plug, the toxic silver cable remains.

Edit: being advice not to disclose some information

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #56 of 56
A British gentleman have kindly sold this pair of headphone and it went back to tokyo to a series collector which have connection and found someone in Sony Engineering and Sony have unofficially repaired (re-tune) the channel balance of driver and now the headphone have upgraded with furutech carbon shielded rhodium plated 3pin XLR and have its XLR to 6.5 connection cable re terminated with Furutech carbon shielded rhodium plated 4.4 Pentagon plug, the toxic cable remains.
Any contact is appreciated. This way all of us can get it service by Sony Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back