Sony MDR R10 - some TLC and a recable for an old set
May 10, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #31 of 56
Thats most certainly the most beautiful headphone cable I have seen to date. Wonderful use of materials, the carbon fibre and gem stones look great together. And the reuse of the Sony Y split is a really nice touch.

I look forward to your aural impressions.

May 15, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #32 of 56
Well ive got both sets back. will take a few pictures for the toxic cables appreciation thread later.

Got them hooked into my B52 with REGA ISIS CD player and they sound absolutely fantastic. slightly more bass response now that the foam is replaced and the new pads are on them. Frank did a great job of the special cable for these too.

May 15, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #33 of 56
applied another coat of mineral oil to the wood on the older R10's I have and they came up well I think. really happy with the work frank has done to this set, I took some pictures.

May 15, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #34 of 56
I am impressed, Allan, at how nicely they came out. If they have just a hint more bass response with the new foam then they would be perfect for me. I am so pleased with what you made of these and am glad I played a small role in these headphone's history, selling them to you. Actually, I bid on these when markl sold them on ebay, but someone else won them.

Now if I can find phones that do most of what R10 does right for less than $2,000, I will be a happy headfier.

May 15, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #35 of 56
I am impressed, Allan, at how nicely they came out. If they have just a hint more bass response with the new foam then they would be perfect for me. I am so pleased with what you made of these and am glad I played a small role in these headphone's history, selling them to you. Actually, I bid on these when markl sold them on ebay, but someone else won them.
Now if I can find phones that do most of what R10 does right for less than $2,000, I will be a happy headfier.

Hi Jesse, was a pleasure dealing with you. Headfi needs more people like you.

In regards to a headphone - did you ever audition the HD800? it has a similar soundstage to the R10. It is also very detailed like R10. Although I find the treble a little more grainy and not as smooth as R10.

I think the HD800 is a good value headphone, but I dont like the stock cable they ship with it.

May 16, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #37 of 56
This set sound better than than the mint set I have in the box.

I can only imagine its a combination of the new pads, refoaming and higher grade cable to pure silver balanced XLR's.

They do sound wonderful. I was listening to Chopin Piano Concertos Nos 1 and 2 last night by the polish festival orchestra and it was absolutely invigorating. I have never heard headphones to match these. Even the Stax 009 don't compete.

The bass response has improved with all the work too, its a little more evident and very focused.

May 17, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

Quote:
Hi Jesse, was a pleasure dealing with you. Headfi needs more people like you.
In regards to a headphone - did you ever audition the HD800? it has a similar soundstage to the R10. It is also very detailed like R10. Although I find the treble a little more grainy and not as smooth as R10.
I think the HD800 is a good value headphone, but I dont like the stock cable they ship with it.

Allan, how would you compare your 2 sets of R10s to each other and to other cans in your incredible collection such as the DX1000, HP2, HE6 & 500, LCD 2 & 3 etc?
Some of your cans have fancy rewiring jobs too.

May 17, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #39 of 56
Hi DaveDerek,

I think ive owned almost every headphone ever made as I pump a lot of my spare money into this 'hobby'. The only headphone ive never owned is the Orpheus, although ive heard it a few times in good conditions. its exceptionally musical, even though I think a few other headphones might deliver more 'ultimate' resolution.

I think it all depends on the music you enjoy and the amplifier you pair the headphones with. The Hifiman He6 are exceptionally good, but the work they require to get them singing right would put a lot of people off.

One of my favourite headphones is the Beyerdynamic T1 and while I know a lot of people will say im mad, that headphone really comes to life with a good cable. Same as the HD800. The T1 would be my 'go to headphone' along with the Denon D7000, both of which I have had recabled to balanced. I also use one of my pairs of Grado HP1000 fairly regularly, especially when im traveling with the HPA2 amplifier. Its so easy to power and it sounds great with compressed files. I tend to stay away from Mp3's when I can at home.

Denon D7000 in stock form is a lot of fun, but the bass is a little boomy IMO. The closed design and the powerful driver needs a little taming. I had Frank at Toxic cables recable the headphone and after 30 hours it sounds fantastic now. I wouldn't use it for classical or orchestra works, but its a fun headphone and 'larger than life' with some recordings.

The Sennheiser HD800 was an experience for me, I hated it when I first got it, and thankfully found a great thread on headfi years ago which explained that much of the problem was due to the stock cable. I never thought about it at the time and bought a Cardas cable which took it to a new level. The piccilino cable is stunning with that headphone as it has the clarity of silver, but the gold elements in the cable design ensure that the bass response is never lacking either. The only problem I have with the Hd800 is the slightly grainy treble which I can hear from time to time on certain recordings.

I can live with it, but I find myself using it less and less. It has a similar soundstage to the R10, but can't hold a candle in the mid range or high end. The R10 is just so smooth and can totally make me forget im actually listening to headphones. Normally im listening to a 'problem' rather than enjoying the audio experience.

The T1's i use regularly, and they sound fantastic with the Leben CS300X. very warm, yet detailed. Quite a large soundstage and almost perfect for a huge range of music. Acoustic, classical, rock and vocals.

I loved my LCD2 when I first got it, used it almost exclusively for a year, then one day I tried the T1 again and forgot how good it was. There is too much variance for me between Audeze headphones. Some of them are just above average, and others are superb. Its a problem with a smallish firm, the standards can often slip.

LCD3 is great, but I ended up with a few of the flat curve units and I can't enjoy them at all. I recently sold a pair to a nice guy in Poland, and I hope he is happy. I certainly wasn't.

JVC DX1000 is another great headphone, but I don't think it is as good as the Denon D7000. Not after both are recabled to balanced anyway. Its slightly more 'congested' to my ears and I haven't been able to completely adjust to the sound quality. It can sometimes sound really disjointed with some recordings. hard to get into words.

Stax 007 and 009 are fantastic headphones. Not sure I could say anything that hasn't been said before. For classical and demanding, complex musical works they are phenomenal.

R10, is my favourite headphone. If I only listened to rock id probably use the T1 and the Hp1000 almost all the time, but as im getting older im finding more enjoyment looking into genre's id never have contemplated in my youth, when I mainly listened to metal. I am finding enjoyment recently with jazz and world music. I dont think there is a single headphone to convey this genre with the same impact as the R10. (Orpheus im sure is better, but I can't really comment on that as ive not had a lot of time with it).

There is a huge 'anti cable' squad on Headfi, who seem to just dismiss the whole concept of changing the signal from amplifier to driver, but I couldn't disagree more. I think the differences might be less with lower quality amplification, but I can normally tell which cable im even using now.

I have to add, that I have a slight hearing disorder. I have extremely sensitive ears and have had to have treatment in previous years. I need to wear pads over my ears at night as I can often fixate on a distant sound that people think im imagining. I also have a hard time at concerts as I can't handle the volume either, I need to wear special ear protection or I would probably pass out from the noise. been dealing with this since I was a kid. It sounds like a great thing, to be able to hear very distant noises and pick up frequencies that maybe some people dont hear. But trust me, its a curse.

In regards to my R10's - the older model which looked in bad condition, has been restored by Frank and it now sounds exceptionally good, even better than the mint R10 I have in the box. I have never owned more than two R10's so im not sure if the older one I bought from Cobra_verde was one of the best they built, or whether the refoaming, new pads and recabling have all helped improve it even further.

it is ideal for me however as I can keep the mint #808 headphone in the box in my house in good temperatures, while I use the #365.

I used to spend all my money on motorbikes, so this option is less dangerous. So the women in my life say anyway.

May 17, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #40 of 56
Great post! Thanks for taking your time to do it write up.

May 17, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #41 of 56
These amplifiers are great too with the R10's (LEBEN CS300XS and CS300), I love them. I have upgraded the X to a quad set of telefunken EL 84s and the plain C300 to mullard EL84's. still playing with the other tubes, but they give a lovely warm sound. they are damn good with speakers too. Although you really do need 91dB or higher (I use EPOS Elan 35's which are 93dBa) (are we allowed to talk about speakers here?!)

Surprised how warm and musical the sound is with these amplifiers (while still being detailed, its not 'soft), although I dont like the standard russian tubes the non X ships with.

May 17, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #43 of 56
thanks for your post sharing your take on various top tier cans. perhaps this has been discussed already, but given that both of your r10s have lower serial #s, are they bass light units?

May 17, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #44 of 56
thanks for your post sharing your take on various top tier cans. perhaps this has been discussed already, but given that both of your r10s have lower serial #s, are they bass light units?

Id assume so. I think they both have very good bass. I actually had a chat with a few other owners who have both and they said the lighter bass versions are better for acoustic and classical.

I think everyone would have a different view on it, ive read some prefer the bass heavy. From what i know sony actually made four different drivers for the r10 during the course of production. Someone with greater r10 knowledge might be able to verify that.

When my older pair were refoamed and new pads added, it certainly enhanced the bass impact without it overiding the beautiful mids.

Also i see you have many headphones yourself, care to share your views?

May 31, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #45 of 56
Quote:
There are some good mineral oils which work well with the wood on these cups. of course you can use lemon oil which is used on instruments if that's something you prefer.

Lemon oil and varnish do not usually get along very well. mineral oils are the only way to go IMO...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back