Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Nov 10, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #1,066 of 1,173
Yup, shortening the original cable to 5 or 6 ft can improve ergonomics and potentially improve the sound quality slightly. Go with best quality plug possible along with high quality solder can also make a profound difference due to less signal loss. Three years ago I replaced a Neutri4 pin XLR plug with Furutech 4.4 mm to enjoy the R10 directly out of my WM1Z and to move a little more freely around the house. TOTL DAPs are so good sounding these days thus it make a lot of sense to go with a 4.4 mm balanced.

Nov 12, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #1,067 of 1,173
Can we see any photos of how it specifically works? I would like to know more
Here you go, sorry for the delay
5t.jpg
Sony MDR-R10 removable cable, padmod, headband, housings and foams restoration.jpg

Nov 12, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #1,068 of 1,173
Nov 12, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #1,069 of 1,173
Here you go, sorry for the delay
5t.jpg
Sony MDR-R10 removable cable, padmod, headband, housings and foams restoration.jpg
I think the most important thing we need to find is a way to get rid of the Great Treble Peak and possibly extend the bass. If anyone knows a way to do these things, please write something. My hypothesis:

1. Close some holes on the inside of the cups with paper tape -- should possibly extend the bass at the expense of overly pronounced higher mids -- as in the older "bass heavy" versions which in my experience were just clogged with R10 foam changed into gluey substance. Need to unscrew everything to do it...

2. Make pads with cushions as flat as possible and -- most importantly -- a smaller ear hole. This should reduce the treble peak; at least that's what reduced upper treble in Audio Technica L5000, where the original pads had a quite small hole, resulting in beautiful neutral highs. All replacements people (and I) tested where larger, resulting in - you guessed it - rather large treble peaks. At first no one noticed - maybe because some are already deaf past 10kHz, but after a while it was like listening to Sony CD3000 on replacement pads (known for hot treble). One caveat: R10 have a treble peak on the lower treble, pre-10kHz, and the method I proposed is so far effective past 10kHz, so it may not work.

Nov 12, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #1,070 of 1,173
I think the most important thing we need to find is a way to get rid of the Great Treble Peak and possibly extend the bass. If anyone knows a way to do these things, please write something. My hypothesis:

1. Close some holes on the inside of the cups with paper tape -- should possibly extend the bass at the expense of overly pronounced higher mids -- as in the older "bass heavy" versions which in my experience were just clogged with R10 foam changed into gluey substance. Need to unscrew everything to do it...

2. Make pads with cushions as flat as possible and -- most importantly -- a smaller ear hole. This should reduce the treble peak; at least that's what reduced upper treble in Audio Technica L5000, where the original pads had a quite small hole, resulting in beautiful neutral highs. All replacements people (and I) tested where larger, resulting in - you guessed it - rather large treble peaks. At first no one noticed - maybe because some are already deaf past 10kHz, but after a while it was like listening to Sony CD3000 on replacement pads (known for hot treble). One caveat: R10 have a treble peak on the lower treble, pre-10kHz, and the method I proposed is so far effective past 10kHz, so it may not work.
I assume you have re foamed? Mine are a very early R10, but with the new foam, the bass is excellent and there is no treble peak.

Nov 12, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #1,071 of 1,173
Nov 12, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #1,072 of 1,173
I assume you have re foamed? Mine are a very early R10, but with the new foam, the bass is excellent and there is no treble peak.
How did you do that mate? Where did you get your foams from? Any photos would be appreciated, although I know that may be a hassle, so at least drop a text message pls.

Nov 12, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #1,073 of 1,173
How did you do that mate? Where did you get your foams from? Any photos would be appreciated, although I know that may be a hassle, so at least drop a text message pls.
ES audio out of Hong Kong. There are two sets of foam for each side. The foam breaks down and needs to be replaced. They researched and did a good job. Without the re foaming, the sound can be thin, lacking in bass and a treble peak. They sound nothing like they did originally until they have good foam.

There are images somewhere. Oh, I found some of mine. The white ring of foam breaks down into a gooey mess and has to be carefully cleaned out and the grey foam just breaks down having a powdery residue with it. The last image shows the foam breakdown (this isn't my image).

Attachments

• IMG_3063.jpeg
    IMG_3063.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3064.jpeg
    IMG_3064.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3065.jpeg
    IMG_3065.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3066.heic.jpeg
    IMG_3066.heic.jpeg
    363.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3067.heic.jpeg
    IMG_3067.heic.jpeg
    398.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 032648lt1mtmhlm570zc1y.jpeg
    032648lt1mtmhlm570zc1y.jpeg
    549 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #1,074 of 1,173
ES audio out of Hong Kong. There are two sets of foam for each side. The foam breaks down and needs to be replaced. They researched and did a good job. Without the re foaming, the sound can be thin, lacking in bass and a treble peak. They sound nothing like they did originally until they have good foam.

There are images somewhere. Oh, I found some of mine. The white ring of foam breaks down into a gooey mess and has to be carefully cleaned out and the grey foam just breaks down having a powdery residue with it. The last image shows the foam breakdown (this isn't my image).
Thanks so much! I did my refoaming (and for another unit) with Vespers foams, but didn't thought of testing ES Audio foams! I will do exactly that!

Nov 12, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #1,075 of 1,173
Thanks so much! I did my refoaming (and for another unit) with Vespers foams, but didn't thought of testing ES Audio foams! I will do exactly that!

I don't know that it matters much about the type of foam or who does it, rather that old foam is simply replaced by a competent party. It sounds like you've had yours done. I don't hear a peak in the treble at all, but I do understand people wanting for more bass in some situations. The lighter bass (compared to some other headphones) is partly what allows the midrange to shine the way it does. I wouldn't change a thing imo.

Nov 12, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #1,076 of 1,173
I don't know that it matters much about the type of foam or who does it, rather that old foam is simply replaced by a competent party. It sounds like you've had yours done. I don't hear a peak in the treble at all, but I do understand people wanting for more bass in some situations. The lighter bass (compared to some other headphones) is partly what allows the midrange to shine the way it does. I wouldn't change a thing imo.
The type of foam matters tremendously. It is open cell foam and there are so many variations on open cell, for the amount of air that can pass that 50 samples may be needed to find out the right open cell. This is extremely time intensive and insanely important. The open cell foam is a type of vent and it paramount to the tuning of the
R-10, which many miss in trying to duplicate them. ES Audio figured this out. The foam they sell is expensive but so is the foam and then all the R&D.

Mine were bass light, only because of the bad foam and they were made in 1989. But with new foam the bass is excellent and deep and the mids are excellent.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #1,077 of 1,173
The type of foam matters tremendously. It is open cell foam and there are so many variations on open cell, for the amount of air that can pass that 50 samples may be needed to find out the right open cell. This is extremely time intensive and insanely important. The open cell foam is a type of vent and it paramount to the tuning of the
R-10, which many miss in trying to duplicate them. ES Audio figured this out. The foam they sell is expensive but so is the foam and then all the R&D.

Mine were bass light, only because of the bad foam and they were made in 1989. But with new foam the bass is excellent and deep and the mids are excellent.

Mine were refoamed by ES Labs as well--in fact, they were the personal pair of the owner of ES Labs that I purchased them from. I have full trust in them for sure. I'm just cautioning on someone sending their pair in to them when they've already had them refoamed in hopes for amazing bass. At the end of the day, they are lighter in bass and that's ok. I enjoy the bass that they do have, but refoaming them isn't going to turn them into something that can compete with a bass heavy headphone, that's all.

Nov 12, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #1,078 of 1,173
Anyone know what type of foam Vesper Audio uses? Figured I’d ask the class before bothering them with another question.

Nov 12, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #1,079 of 1,173
Mine were refoamed by ES Labs as well--in fact, they were the personal pair of the owner of ES Labs that I purchased them from. I have full trust in them for sure. I'm just cautioning on someone sending their pair in to them when they've already had them refoamed in hopes for amazing bass. At the end of the day, they are lighter in bass and that's ok. I enjoy the bass that they do have, but refoaming them isn't going to turn them into something that can compete with a bass heavy headphone, that's all.
I would never want a bass heavy headphone, I don't care for that but for whatever reason, mine are in no way bass light.

Nov 12, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #1,080 of 1,173
Yes, the type of foam does matter. I experimented by making my own replacement foams back 5-10 years ago and concluded that the very open cell type increased the soundstage at the expense of bass output. On the other hand, a closed cell type increased bass impact at the expense of the openness staging. Yes, ES labs did an amazing job with the ES-R10 as well as the foam replacement kit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back