Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Nov 8, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #841 of 1,173
Since I fell in love with this project from Sony,and I’m not intend to sell my r10,I decided to restore my headphone improving and unlocking its maximum potential,not only balanced directly from the driver,but also changing its magnets with newest solution.
I know it is a risk,but before making this choice I talked with spirit labs director,to work together on this project.
He assure me this operation will not alter its original sound signature,but to improve r10 performance in overall.
In fact i’ll Leave free to the ability by spirit labs designer,who will get his hands on this delicate work.
I don’t care if the historical value will decline,I want to carry this project and in the meantime I’ll update you;if someone have any advice,I listen to everyone
Thanks for your attention

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #842 of 1,173
Since I fell in love with this project from Sony,and I’m not intend to sell my r10,I decided to restore my headphone improving and unlocking its maximum potential,not only balanced directly from the driver,but also changing its magnets with newest solution.
I know it is a risk,but before making this choice I talked with spirit labs director,to work together on this project.
He assure me this operation will not alter its original sound signature,but to improve r10 performance in overall.
In fact i’ll Leave free to the ability by spirit labs designer,who will get his hands on this delicate work.
I don’t care if the historical value will decline,I want to carry this project and in the meantime I’ll update you;if someone have any advice,I listen to everyone
Keep us updated!

Nov 8, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #843 of 1,173
Spirit Labs???

Do they have a website?

Nov 9, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #844 of 1,173
Nov 10, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #846 of 1,173
I got it: Don't expect what likely won't be available.

Do you think he would prefer that you not post his website?
Or, perhaps, even let on what product(s) or service(s) he deals in.
You’re perfectly right,just yesterday I talked to him about my post and above all if this kind of work to those interested,and he said yes,so if someone need a restoration work you can easily contact him from the “contact us” section on Spirit Torino site.

Nov 11, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #847 of 1,173
8FE2F50E-3EB1-4702-86F6-2E9451036796.jpeg
Ok,firsts problems lol
In the last day the sound become much more harshness,and in a driver under 40 hz it croaks a bit if I set high volume.
In your hopinion can be a driver issue or simply the foam start to deteriorating and it’s going to deposit on the driver?who sold me the headphone say that tha last owner never used them,just 4-5 times.
Here I post a picture about the yellow foam conditions

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #848 of 1,173
You’re perfectly right,just yesterday I talked to him about my post and above all if this kind of work to those interested,and he said yes,so if someone need a restoration work you can easily contact him from the “contact us” section on Spirit Torino site.
Appreciate your looking into this.
And, of course, the info provided.
Thank you.

Nov 17, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #849 of 1,173
5AB02B72-4BF8-4485-9DB1-2E0A46A493A6.jpeg

7C3F0336-CAC1-467D-BC4D-69D697A7BED2.jpeg

98A0182C-09A2-441C-A4D1-5F763E58A5A4.jpeg

After/Before restoration

Nov 18, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #851 of 1,173
Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #852 of 1,173
Where did you purchase the foam rings? Could you share the place to buy?
I left both the foam and the labor to Andrea Ricci, designer of the well-known Italian brand "Spirit Torino"; obviously the foam products are also produced by the company, if you are interested you can contact him directly via Andrea@spiritsoundesign.com.

The sound has definitely changed, in a better way, as the destroyed old foam had totally zeroed out the bass

Nov 26, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #853 of 1,173

New MDR R-10 owner 🤩 serial n.20 in fantastic condition,i couldn’t be happier
Lovely looking real class, unlike certain Chinese versions. Just wondering how it compares to your Denon 9200? They are also wooden cupped closed headphone

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #854 of 1,173
I am listening to Ray Charles genius loves company with my Bass heavy R10s plugged into My modded Cary300sei with We300b Sylvania 231 tubes
Source Lampozator Big7 VSE level 5 Sony Dvp 9000 as a tarnsport
One Word Musical
R10s just suck you into the music

Dec 7, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #855 of 1,173
,Important update:
Today I finished the work mod to my R10, a reversible type of modification, therefore not intrusive.
Andrea Ricci had the opportunity to listen to the R10 and according to him the headphones had a very pleasant tone but accentuated in the mids (the headphones become soften over time with the disintegration of the sponge, after you replace it with the new one,the original sound returns) and too much lacking in bass, not to mention the slam.
As a designer he taught me some fundamentals about dynamic drivers.
The air displacement is essentially dependent on the magnet, and Sony adopted the best solution in 1989.YES, in 1989.
The new n52 magnets push much more,also having a diameter equal to the originals, consequently we opened the headset and removed the drivers, luckily neither of them was damaged.
And the original magnet was not removed, it just overlapped the new one.
The zelkova pads inside have been covered with a thin layer of dynamax, excellent for dampening excess tail frequencies, as the thickness of the wood being too thin gives musicality but also inchoerency.
And finally I rewired the king with a fully balanced 8-way REFERENCE Spirit Torino cable UPOCC.
The headphone has radically changed.
In a really positive way IMHO
I realized that the R10's soundstage is simply magnificent, but it is somewhat altered by the lack of bass, very expansive.
But how does it behave with the bass Unveiled?
I start by saying that the magnet has greatly improved the performance of the microdynamics, now much more perceptible and above all the slam hits hard when it has to, STRONG AND WELL.
The dynamat paired with the n52 highlighted the true bass of the r10's "bass light" driver and no, it's not light, it's full-bodied and DEEP.
Not to mention the speed of the driver given by the more powerful and controlled thrust of the new magnet!
All frequencies have benefited from it, but the bass is the real novelty.
What about the soundstage? The depth has remained the same, the precision the same, but now it is more coherent, less expansive due to the accentuated but more natural bass.
The work was a real success for me, and today I got to test my new R10 against the stock R10.
The change is shocking.
What could be done has been done.
From the basics of a headset called KING it has improved even more performing and fast, maintaining its magnificent naturalness with the addition of a consistent microdynamic,mighty and much faster bass
Kudos at sony and SPIRIT TORINO.
The End

image4.jpeg

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG

image7.jpeg

image0.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back