Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
May 26, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #871 of 1,173
However,after mod my R10 with dynamat and changed the acustic sponge (bought from es labs) my R10 reach 40 hz.
I would like you to take me seriously because as absurd as it is, the result is real.
who knows how many think that light basses have anemic bass.
the sponges do a lot for the musical harmony of the R10.
P.s fortunately my R10 still work great also after the modding.
treated like a rare jewel to be kept in its casket

May 26, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #872 of 1,173
R10 is still superior to all headphones in the strengths that it has, that includes the soundstage, imaging and mid-range.
Although very few, plenty open flagships present superior soundstage and spacial information. Fewer present the mid presence realism.

But in many ways, the R10 is outdated and in other ways timeless.

Jul 12, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #873 of 1,173
Today is a very special day. My bank balance is almost single digits enough to get by to the end of week.
But that's not important, what's important is these Japanese legends has been re-united.
@kiling92 Thank you so much for looking after the King. They will be treasured and pass on to my kids so they can enjoy them.

It0WPOA.jpg

qJqFJ8k.jpg

AxqxhLP.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #874 of 1,173
Today is a very special day. My bank balance is almost single digits enough to get by to the end of week.
But's not important what's important is these Japanese legends has been re-united.
@kiling92 Thank you so much for looking after the King. They will be treasured and pass on to my kids so they can enjoy them.

It0WPOA.jpg

qJqFJ8k.jpg

AxqxhLP.jpg
L3000 in the w2002 box? wow.

Very lucky man!

Jul 12, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #875 of 1,173
L3000 in the w2002 box? wow.

Very lucky man!
That's what I thought, but the Japanese seller told me in Japan. ATH-L3000 comes with suit case option too.
I have no idea, to me it just a bonus so I don't damage them.

Jul 12, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #876 of 1,173
That's what I thought, but the Japanese seller told me in Japan. ATH-L3000 comes with suit case option too.
I have no idea, to me it just a bonus so I don't damage them.
No it didn't, lol. Fortunately for you, that W2002 case is actually much nicer than the original L3000 box, which is just a semi-rigid blue box with a slightly fuzzy / velvet-like material. Drivers good, L / R balance, and no rattles on bass - that's the important thing to check out.

If all is good - those are wonderful heirlooms. Congrats!

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #877 of 1,173
No it didn't, lol. Fortunately for you, that W2002 case is actually much nicer than the original L3000 box, which is just a semi-rigid blue box with a slightly fuzzy / velvet-like material. Drivers good, L / R balance, and no rattles on bass - that's the important thing to check out.

If all is good - those are wonderful heirlooms. Congrats!
Thanks buddy, all this because I was curious what the ES-R10 sounded like LOL

Jul 15, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #878 of 1,173
However,after mod my R10 with dynamat and changed the acustic sponge (bought from es labs) my R10 reach 40 hz.
I would like you to take me seriously because as absurd as it is, the result is real.
who knows how many think that light basses have anemic bass.
the sponges do a lot for the musical harmony of the R10.
P.s fortunately my R10 still work great also after the modding.
treated like a rare jewel to be kept in its casket
Between the earpads and the housing, if you reduce the gap by securely screwing the "inner" layer that you stick your ear pad, you can get superior bass response by sealing it closer to the housing. This is what I found in my experiments. The acoustic sponge definitely helps in the dissipation of the lower frequencies.

Most of the R10s today are deteriorating badly but I have been updating mine on my own, even reanodizing the frame to have no more paint chips.

Jul 15, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #879 of 1,173
Between the earpads and the housing, if you reduce the gap by securely screwing the "inner" layer that you stick your ear pad, you can get superior bass response by sealing it closer to the housing. This is what I found in my experiments. The acoustic sponge definitely helps in the dissipation of the lower frequencies.

Most of the R10s today are deteriorating badly but I have been updating mine on my own, even reanodizing the frame to have no more paint chips.
Got photo of what to mean?

Jul 15, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #880 of 1,173

My R10 sounds quite a bit nicer after the reforming. Prior to the reforming process, bass was output was pretty much not there. It is considerably more now and almost HD800 in quantity.

Jul 17, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #881 of 1,173
Got photo of what to mean?
Yes, apologies for the delay.

This is with the new acoustic sponge implanted:

d7nLioX.jpeg

As you can see I am using cardboard temporarily to secure this black housing as close as possible to the cup when implanting the sponges. The brown circles (where the screws are) deteriorate over time and thus the distance between the housing and the circular ear pad plate increases and bass reduces in quality. I ended up using plastic fragments from my other projects and now it is very secure and close.

Here is how you can make sure that you're fixing it:
IMG_20220717_133619.jpg

Where the arrow is pointing, you want as little as possible distance between the ear pad plate and the housing. You will notice an immeasurable difference in sound as I have!

PS: Yes, my MDR-R10 has completely new paint and has been reanodized. Could not tolerate the paint chipping anymore and this anodizing cover is completely chip-free.

Jul 17, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #882 of 1,173
BTW, most of the MDR-R10 I see selling online have this problem where the distance is super wide between the ear pad plate and the cups. This explains why everyone thinks MDR-R10 is super "bass light" when in actuality when they were new they probably had stellar bass in the early 90s / late 80s.

Jul 17, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #883 of 1,173
Yes, apologies for the delay.

This is with the new acoustic sponge implanted:

As you can see I am using cardboard temporarily to secure this black housing as close as possible to the cup when implanting the sponges. The brown circles (where the screws are) deteriorate over time and thus the distance between the housing and the circular ear pad plate increases and bass reduces in quality. I ended up using plastic fragments from my other projects and now it is very secure and close.

Here is how you can make sure that you're fixing it:

Where the arrow is pointing, you want as little as possible distance between the ear pad plate and the housing. You will notice an immeasurable difference in sound as I have!

PS: Yes, my MDR-R10 has completely new paint and has been reanodized. Could not tolerate the paint chipping anymore and this anodizing cover is completely chip-free.
Thanks heaps for sharing your finding. I will try this with the ES-R10 first.
Looks like you also got new earpads that cover the housing too.
You should contact ES Labs, they have proper foam surround for your R10.
Should be more uniformly too.

Jul 17, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #884 of 1,173
Thanks heaps for sharing your finding. I will try this with the ES-R10 first.
Looks like you also got new earpads that cover the housing too.
You should contact ES Labs, they have proper foam surround for your R10.
Should be more uniformly too.
May try that out but I have to admit the sound is amazing after all is said is done, not sure how much more it can improve :)

Jul 18, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #885 of 1,173
My R10 sounds quite a bit nicer after the reforming. Prior to the reforming process, bass was output was pretty much not there. It is considerably more now and almost HD800 in quantity.
This actually mirrors my impressions. I think the HD800 has an edge in the "3D" image positioning sense but sound stage breadth and width are hands down in R10's favor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back