Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Jan 1, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #901 of 1,172
Thanks a lot. Can you share how it sounds out of your GS-X?
Sorry for a very late reply. The GS-X MKI sounds sweeter with the R10 than the MKII with larger and more spacious soundstage. The MKi with Dynalo Plus modules is the best of them all with more power and headroom from the new modules and with sweeter and more expansive sound of the GSX MKI better power supply.

Jan 15, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #902 of 1,172
All these years later and the R10 is more enjoyable than just about anything that's out there new or old. Felt like a major risk taking the plunge on them recently, but they just get better and better with every listen. The sound is as close to perfect as it gets, there's nothing like them at all.

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #903 of 1,172
All these years later and the R10 is more enjoyable than just about anything that's out there new or old. Felt like a major risk taking the plunge on them recently, but they just get better and better with every listen. The sound is as close to perfect as it gets, there's nothing like them at all.
They are just about the most musical headphones to me open or closed. Has yours been refoamed since the bass impact and quantity will get slightly better as well. What amp are you using with them?

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #904 of 1,172
They are just about the most musical headphones to me open or closed. Has yours been refoamed since the bass impact and quantity will get slightly better as well. What amp are you using with them?

Absolutely agree with that statement. And yes, they were refoamed with ES Labs material, I bought them from the owner there. Everything else stock and in tack. They sound as magical as the pair I heard just a month earlier that made me realize I needed a pair.

Right now, powering them just right out of the Dave, which I know isn't optimal. I just missed out on a deal for a used Eddie Current 300b by like a day from a friend recently. Will definitely upgrade at some point soon.

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #905 of 1,172
The R10 is the result of Sony R&D team given unlimited funds to produce the absolute best. Companies these day don't have the luxury, they have to balance between profit and cost.

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #906 of 1,172
Absolutely agree with that statement. And yes, they were refoamed with ES Labs material, I bought them from the owner there. Everything else stock and in tack. They sound as magical as the pair I heard just a month earlier that made me realize I needed a pair.

Right now, powering them just right out of the Dave, which I know isn't optimal. I just missed out on a deal for a used Eddie Current 300b by like a day from a friend recently. Will definitely upgrade at some point soon.
I think the r10 runs fine out of something like the Dave. Unlike electrostatics, dynamic headphones can't run natively on that high voltage so it needs to be stepped down in some way and despite what many here believe, is not optimal.

Apr 5, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #908 of 1,172
Glad u are enjoying the R10. The presentation is so natural and unforced.

Apr 5, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #909 of 1,172
New to the club and I'm in love. Now I need an amp... damn!

Can't wait to see your thoughts on the HE90 and R10 after a bit of time. Congrats!

Apr 5, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #910 of 1,172
Glad u are enjoying the R10. The presentation is so natural and unforced.
Yes, and it’s amazing how easy to drive these are.

Can't wait to see your thoughts on the HE90 and R10 after a bit of time. Congrats!
Thanks! Sure, will do. However, it’s not fair to compare them out of my MacBook versus the HE90/T2 combo. Maybe I have to explore more amp options before doing that. (Did I hear Eddie Current?)

Apr 5, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #911 of 1,172
BTW, my SN is in the upper 100’s. Any ideia on which of the 4 drivers it might be? (#1, I guess?) And how does it compare to other driver versions?

Apr 5, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #912 of 1,172
Thanks! Sure, will do. However, it’s not fair to compare them out of my MacBook versus the HE90/T2 combo. Maybe I have to explore more amp options before doing that. (Did I hear Eddie Current?)

Ahh didn't know that. Yea definitely you'll want to grab a decent amp. They do sound phenomenal out of the EC Studio B, but I wouldn't recommend it used unless you were able to find one locally--they don't ship well without problems. Very hit or miss.

They're not that hard to power so there should be a lot of options you can consider. I'll defer to others in the thread, as I've only used the Dave and the Studio B. :)

Apr 5, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #913 of 1,172
I highly recommended ECP L3 for driving the R10. Also got an excellent result out of my Audio-Technical HA5050H amplifier.

Apr 5, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #914 of 1,172
Yes, and it’s amazing how easy to drive these are.

Despite the EC being possibly fixed by a re-work (which many are), the EC amps are "singlepower' tier.
The R10 is only 32ohms, I'm not sure you're going to hear much of a difference between well-made solid-state amps.

Your collection is looking a lot like the ones I circled through 20 years ago lol. Only missing the hp-1000 and L3000 now.

Apr 5, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #915 of 1,172
Despite the EC being possibly fixed by a re-work (which many are), the EC amps are "singlepower' tier.
The R10 is only 32ohms, I'm not sure you're going to hear much of a difference between well-made solid-state amps.

Your collection is looking a lot like the ones I circled through 20 years ago lol. Only missing the hp-1000 and L3000 now.
ECP L3 is SP top tier as well. I sold my SP SDS-XLR after I received my L3. I think your amp is good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back