Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Jul 30, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #661 of 1,173
  Just thought such kind of words " it simply sounds bad " looks like sort of nonsense to some one. I am going to explain my **** post in detail.

The problem when my R10 hooks to some big amps are the speed, transparency and detail. I found my R10 becomes slow, muddy, veiled and not that refined with these "big amp", which might be good to some other people since it sounds somewhat smoother. I play piano and violin myself. The string from violin is tight and the detail is breathtaking with the PO from my Mac book air while the sting is loosen and relaxed with other "big amp". It is quite obvious to me. It simply not right to me. There must be something wrong with the transient response when my R10 hooks to some "big amp". 

Technically speaking, the R10 incorporates the highest Young's Modulus diaphragm to be yet put in a production Headphone (>18 GPa, CD3000 Lab Tested was around 8-10GPa). Even after taking the obsolete Piston transmission into consideration, the Mechanical superiority of the R10 "must" put it on the top of the list in terms of Transient Response and Inertia latency from Excursion Point "A" to Excursion Point to "B" if it's tensioned to specification. Sony did not consider that while Engineering the R10.

It is very much possible what you subjectively perceive even though the R10 is still technically superior to any other System on the market. 

Jul 30, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #662 of 1,173
  Just thought such kind of words " it simply sounds bad " looks like sort of nonsense to some one. I am going to explain my **** post in detail.

The problem when my R10 hooks to some big amps are the speed, transparency and detail. I found my R10 becomes slow, muddy, veiled and not that refined with these "big amp", which might be good to some other people since it sounds somewhat smoother. I play piano and violin myself. The string from violin is tight and the detail is breathtaking with the PO from my Mac book air while the sting is loosen and relaxed with other "big amp". It is quite obvious to me. It simply not right to me. There must be something wrong with the transient response when my R10 hooks to some "big amp". 

My only problem with the R10 is the bass output.  Beside that they are just so darn good.

Jul 30, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #663 of 1,173
My only problem with the R10 is the bass output.  Beside that they are just so darn good.

I meant my R10 was almost perfect with M9xx and PO from Mac book air. But it turns out to be bad ( which I described ) with some more expensive amps I mentioned above.

Jul 30, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #664 of 1,173
Technically speaking, the R10 incorporates the highest Young's Modulus diaphragm to be yet put in a production Headphone (>18 GPa, CD3000 Lab Tested was around 8-10GPa). Even after taking the obsolete Piston transmission into consideration, the Mechanical superiority of the R10 "must" put it on the top of the list in terms of Transient Response and Inertia latency from Excursion Point "A" to Excursion Point to "B" if it's tensioned to specification. Sony did not consider that while Engineering the R10.

It is very much possible what you subjectively perceive even though the R10 is still technically superior to any other System on the market. 

I can confirm the transient response of R10 is the best among dynamic headphones. Pretty close to some best electrostatics.

What I am saying is the transient response of R10 with some big amp I mentioned above is not as good as it with small amps like m9xx or even the direct phone out of Mac book air.

Aug 16, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #667 of 1,173
  I tried a lot of amps with my bass heavy R10 recently. Grace design M9xx. Eddie Current 2a3 MKIV. Woo Audio WA5 maxed(2016 version). Audio-GD Master 11. Fostex HP A8. 
They were all hooked with different source but I can confirm those are quality sources. But to my disappointed is the best amp I prefer is the Grace design M9xx. To be honest, I found the PO from macbook air directly could be ranked #2 among all those amps. I am going to check with Balancing Act and Micro ZOTL 2.0 tomorrow. Good luck with me.

BTW, what was the result with ECBA and ZOTL?

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #670 of 1,173

You mean your signature?

Headphone Amp: GRADO RA1
Source: Marantz SA-1

yes.  4556 matches well with R10.  To be honest ,only one amp I've tried outperformed RA1 in terms of driving R10, which is based on THS6012 design. 

Aug 19, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #671 of 1,173
yes.  4556 matches well with R10.  To be honest ,only one amp I've tried outperformed RA1 in terms of driving R10, which is based on THS6012 design. 

I suggest u to try any ECP Audio amp and that will likely change ur mind. You should also try reterminating the original cable with 4 pin xlr jack for balanced amplification.

Aug 20, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #672 of 1,173
I suggest u to try any ECP Audio amp and that will likely change ur mind. You should also try reterminating the original cable with 4 pin xlr jack for balanced amplification.

I tried a lot of amps with my bass heavy R10 recently. Grace design M9xx. Eddie Current 2a3 MKIV. Woo Audio WA5 maxed(2016 version). Audio-GD Master 11. Fostex HP A8. 
They were all hooked with different source but I can confirm those are quality sources. But to my disappointed is the best amp I prefer is the Grace design M9xx. To be honest, I found the PO from macbook air directly could be ranked #2 among all those amps. I am going to check with Balancing Act and Micro ZOTL 2.0 tomorrow. Good luck with me.
I hope my next opinion is not too offensive to this community. My R10 is terminated to dual 3pin XLR by last owner. I simply don't like it. But the work looks like done by some quality guys. I am interested in swapping with your guys' R10(bass light/heavy both OK) If you have an R10 with original cable and similar condition with me.  
Anyhow these are just my personal grain of salt. I like something original and simple.

Thanks for you suggestion. I am currently working on designing an amp with cathode follower stage specially for my R10.

Oct 20, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #673 of 1,173
If you use the right Class A, simple circuit tube amplifier, you can tailor the sound of  your liking of any R10...  I have previously owned three pair at the same time.  Early production, Bass light and Bass heavy.  All are wonderful if given patience with proper amplification and proper impedance and inductance matching.

Oct 21, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #674 of 1,173
So how many MDR-R10 currently own the Z1R and have formed opinions?
I spent some hours with my Z1R yesterday and still haven't decided if I keep the CD3000 or finally let it go. They're just too different and good in different ways. Guess I need the R10 on the table to help compare :D

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #675 of 1,173
There's nothing better than morning with R10 on my head 
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back