Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Jun 2, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #511 of 1,173
  how is the sound of Sony R 10 compare to Th900 , lcd 3 and he 1000 ?

Can't talk too much about lcd3 and he1000, since I have only listened to the two briefly, but I have owned the th900 for more than 2 years and three months for the R10.
My bass light version is like a totally opposite version (tonally) of the th900. One being U shaped and the other having absolute glorious mids with just enough bass. The R10 also wins in soundstage, layering and detail retrival. 

Yes, the r10 crushes the th900, just my personal opinion.

Jun 3, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #512 of 1,173
Agreed and that's funny cause these two still the best in dynamic and electrostatic headphones , we see new technology in new headphone but still they can't match the unique sound of Sony R 10 and Orpheus .
I don't know why Sony stopped making the R10 ? Is it hard to make on  or what ?

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #513 of 1,173
Is it hard to make on  or what ?

It was way too expensive to produce, and also the demand for it was quite low toward the end of its production life.

I have a screencap hidden somewhere of an amazon page from which one could buy it for 2K$.

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #515 of 1,173
  I hope I can find one , I ordered he 1000 and I want to replace my lcd 3 ( I like the sound but the weight is heavy )with sony r10 .

Honestly, I'm not entirely convinced the viability of such a purchase.

Jun 7, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #517 of 1,173
It was way too expensive to produce, and also the demand for it was quite low toward the end of its production life.

I have a screencap hidden somewhere of an amazon page from which one could buy it for 2K$.

Nothing is too expensive to produce if you price it properly. Profit per unit may be low, but if you buy materials in large enough bulk the volume of sales will bring big profit even at a lower product cost. I don't think it's the costs of production that is keeping them from making them now.

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #518 of 1,173
Nothing is too expensive to produce if you price it properly. Profit per unit may be low, but if you buy materials in large enough bulk the volume of sales will bring big profit even at a lower product cost. I don't think it's the costs of production that is keeping them from making them now.

Pricing it properly means that you have to sell it in the first place.

Sony wasn't selling many of them, hence the prices went down.

Less than 200 units a year is not important enough to make large economies of scale. If you couple that to a very high manufacturing cost (dedicated engineer to check every pair etc...) plus the cost of devellopement related to the R&D (bio-cellulose etc...) and you end up with something that will never pay for itself.

Remember, HF was not the way it is now back then.

Used Qualias could be found for 650$ quite easily at that time, and 1K$+ headphones models could be counted on one hand.

Even though the price inflation kicked us hard, we're not yet dealing with high-horology levels of mark-ups. Value still has a place, even though its importance is declining.

Also, why would sony do it ? They make more in one day selling dumbphones than they would in a decade with a new R10.

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #519 of 1,173

Ask purk nicely and cross your fingers is about the only way. He found me a r10 but it took 9 months and I had money into other gear at that point unfortunately. Should have sold everything and bought them.

It's not as much about finding a pair as it is to see it as a rational investment.

No matter how enthusiastic I am about them, I'm not entirely convinced about buying headphones who might just stop working and whose parts I can't replace.

Jun 7, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #520 of 1,173

It's not as much about finding a pair as it is to see it as a rational investment.

No matter how enthusiastic I am about them, I'm not entirely convinced about buying headphones who might just stop working and whose parts I can't replace.

Try out a ton of planars and then come talk to me. Planars have certain elements that they do more preferably to me than certain stat and hd800 but on the whole the hd800 with an ohm output amp and certain stat, sr-sc-11 and 727ii, on the whole win out by quite a margin over my lcd-x which is my fav. planar, even more preferable than lcd-3c and f. The X wins out in weight and fullness but it is not a large win where the sr-sc-11 does win large in effortlessness over the X and the hd-800 wins large in detail over the X. Both the hd800 and airbow win in comfort as well by quite a margin over the X.

At this point if the he-1k really does not have the effortlessness of the sr-sc-11 and the detail of the hd800 along with the weight and fullness of the X I'm ready to say screw planar and go for the r10 as a closed compliment rather than have a planar compliment to go with my airbow and hd800...Maybe the Ether before that but the abyss is out of the question as I don't believe that fancy cables can do anything for planars. If I got an ether it would be the non dum cable version. 

Jun 8, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #521 of 1,173

Try out a ton of planars and then come talk to me. Planars have certain elements that they do more preferably to me than certain stat and hd800 but on the whole the hd800 with an ohm output amp and certain stat, sr-sc-11 and 727ii, on the whole win out by quite a margin over my lcd-x which is my fav. planar, even more preferable than lcd-3c and f. The X wins out in weight and fullness but it is not a large win where the sr-sc-11 does win large in effortlessness over the X and the hd-800 wins large in detail over the X. Both the hd800 and airbow win in comfort as well by quite a margin over the X.

At this point if the he-1k really does not have the effortlessness of the sr-sc-11 and the detail of the hd800 along with the weight and fullness of the X I'm ready to say screw planar and go for the r10 as a closed compliment rather than have a planar compliment to go with my airbow and hd800...Maybe the Ether before that but the abyss is out of the question as I don't believe that fancy cables can do anything for planars. If I got an ether it would be the non dum cable version. 

Your point being ?

I've never questioned the sonic qualities of the R10, as I've never heard one.

Jun 8, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #522 of 1,173
one available on the forum. price is highest offer. the R10 is great but don't think i would purchase one given lack of repair options/parts. even absent that, the price is too high compared to what other head phones can offer.

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #523 of 1,173

Your point being ?

I've never questioned the sonic qualities of the R10, as I've never heard one.

Whoops... forgot my point... being that since the r10's are low ohm and fairly easy to drive like most planars they could step in if you have exhausted most of the totl planars and not found "the one". I like having different driver compliments. Right now I have a hd800, airbow sr-sc-11, and lcd-x. The lcd-x is good but not quite the one the way the hd800's and airbow's are. I'm hoping for the one with the he1k but if that does not do it I think I'm going to try an get a r10... again. I think the r10 can still fit into the trio well cause it is closed despite being a dynamic driver like the hd800.

Jun 9, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #524 of 1,173

Whoops... forgot my point... being that since the r10's are low ohm and fairly easy to drive like most planars they could step in if you have exhausted most of the totl planars and not found "the one". I like having different driver compliments. Right now I have a hd800, airbow sr-sc-11, and lcd-x. The lcd-x is good but not quite the one the way the hd800's and airbow's are. I'm hoping for the one with the he1k but if that does not do it I think I'm going to try an get a r10... again. I think the r10 can still fit into the trio well cause it is closed despite being a dynamic driver like the hd800.

I like some variety as well, especially since the use headphones allows an easy acces to different sound signatures, but again that wasn't my point.

Be aware that R10s may very well die, because of their bio-cellulose drivers. In that case one ends up with useless headphone that can't be easily repaired nor sold back at anything near what one has bought them for.

It's a risk that I'm not willing to take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back