Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Apr 5, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #916 of 1,173
BTW, my SN is in the upper 100’s. Any ideia on which of the 4 drivers it might be? (#1, I guess?) And how does it compare to other driver versions?
first batch bass light. The one you want, one of the good ones.

Apr 6, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #917 of 1,173
Just to be clear, the ECP mentioned by Purk is a wholly different company & personnel than EC (Eddie Current). Even the Stax mafia digs ECP's (Doug) designs and builds (also thru Tom @ Beezar Audio). Since "Singlepower Tier" was meant as a jab against the design & build, that 100% does not apply to ECP :)

Edit: I still have a Singlepower amp and it sounds awesome lol

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #918 of 1,173
As I type this I am listening to my bass heavy OG R10s which I haven'T listened in a while because of listening mostly to the Susvara,recently acquired Abyss TC.I have to say Its taking me a while to type this as the R10s are taking
my attention by just falling into the Music.The R10s never fail doing that .Like sitting in you comfy recliner it just draws you in.

Apr 6, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #919 of 1,173
Many might think that the R10s are vastly overrated or most of its feedback is based off its legendary aura/marketing from Sony. Don't believe that. When you try the R10, you will see that it is unlike any headphone ever produced in the past. There is a reason it still serves as an inspiration to many new headphones from Hifiman and ESL, and others.

Apr 6, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #920 of 1,173
Many might think that the R10s are vastly overrated or most of its feedback is based off its legendary aura/marketing from Sony. Don't believe that. When you try the R10, you will see that it is unlike any headphone ever produced in the past. There is a reason it still serves as an inspiration to many new headphones from Hifiman and ESL, and others.
This.
The R10 is not overrated. Bass light early models are easily the top 5, if not top 2 headphone ever made.

A few months ago I did a pretty intensive comparison (specifically with classical music) of the Stax SRX9000 vs the Sr-Omega, where I found the Sr-omega mostly preferred each time. The difference felt noticeable, like 'oh this one is my preference' each time I switched, but many aspects of the two were similar.
And then I put on a R10... literally another astral plane better. The two stax weren't even close. Every hair on the back of my neck was up in an instance.

For non-classical music there is a lot of merit for other headphones, but the R10 is truly a landmark.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #921 of 1,173
This.
The R10 is not overrated. Bass light early models are easily the top 5, if not top 2 headphone ever made.

A few months ago I did a pretty intensive comparison (specifically with classical music) of the Stax SRX9000 vs the Sr-Omega, where I found the Sr-omega mostly preferred each time. The difference felt noticeable, like 'oh this one is my preference' each time I switched, but many aspects of the two were similar.
And then I put on a R10... literally another astral plane better. The two stax weren't even close. Ever hair on the back of my neck was up in an instance.

For non-classical music there is a lot of merit for other headphones, but the R10 is truly a landmark.
Agreed. Classical and especially female vocals, R10s are out of this world. I own a bass light version but would def want to hear a bass heavy version.

Apr 6, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #922 of 1,173
Agreed. Classical and especially female vocals, R10s are out of this world. I own a bass light version but would def want to hear a bass heavy version.
They also excel with String and acoustical music too as well as woodwind instrument.

Apr 6, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #923 of 1,173
This.

And then I put on a R10... literally another astral plane better. The two stax weren't even close. Every hair on the back of my neck was up in an instance.

They also excel with String and acoustical music too as well as woodwind instrument.

Yup, classical, acoustic, and anything vocal heavy they are absolutely to die for. For me, new or old they are top 2 ever.

With the bass light version, they may not be the greatest headphone for bass heavier genres (for me rock or hip hop, which I use speakers for, for others maybe metal is relevant). Only caveat to them, which isn't an issue for me at all just given how amazing they are and how much I prefer the genres they do excel at for headphone listening.

Apr 7, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #924 of 1,173
Ahh didn't know that. Yea definitely you'll want to grab a decent amp.
Yes, I will at some point. I'm curious on how they scale because as good as it sounds out of my laptop, it's still many tiers below the TOTL electrostatics out of the T2. But I do see where the potential is.

I highly recommended ECP L3 for driving the R10. Also got an excellent result out of my Audio-Technical HA5050H amplifier.
Thank you for the suggestion. Do you know who builds ECP amps?

Your collection is looking a lot like the ones I circled through 20 years ago lol. Only missing the hp-1000 and L3000 now.
Lol... It's amazing how long of our lives we spend on this hobby. I always wanted to have the R10s, since I knew of them back in 2005. It's intriguing to know how they and other vintage gear is still highly rated and sought after nowadays.
Interesting that you rate the R10 higher than the Omega. Of course would've to have a proper dynamic amp to make a fair comparison, but at this moment my top 4 would be Omega >> HE90 > R10 or 007.

Apr 7, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #925 of 1,173
Personally,as ex mdr r10 owner and Stax 9000 currently owner..I can clearly gotcha how the technology goes on during those years..(in microdetal range) but the r10 timbre is unforgettable;the music is properly alive inside you head;it’s not trasparent or fast as a Stax,but it’s damn alive.
R10 top of the top.

Apr 7, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #926 of 1,173
Interesting that you rate the R10 higher than the Omega. Of course would've to have a proper dynamic amp to make a fair comparison, but at this moment my top 4 would be Omega >> HE90 > R10 or 007.

Only for classical.
Overall my ranking is similar to yours except I’m not as positive on the he90 (likely because I haven’t heard it on a T2).

Omega
X9000/007mk1
R10
Hp-2i
Lambda nova signature / he90

Apr 7, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #928 of 1,173
Thank you guys for your inputs. How many of you are running them balanced and how large is the benefit of doing that?

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #929 of 1,173
Thank you guys for your inputs. How many of you are running them balanced and how large is the benefit of doing that?
I do run them balanced using a stock cable. Basically reterminated the stock cable for balanced. On my system, the R10 just sound grander with bigger and deeper soundstage with better spatial image. Bass output is a little stronger while the extension is also better as well.

ECP amps are hand made by Doug now maybe by this company.

https://nitschsound.com/blogs/news/adding-an-n

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #930 of 1,173
The Omega may sometimes sound strange and unnatural due to the "diffuse" sound field/stage. Def prefer R10's holographic presentation in this regard which I think is a critical component of the aforementioned timbre.

Yea that's a major difference between the two. Overall, I just found the R10 to be more engaging regardless of genre. The Omega struck me as more of a studio monitor listen, feels a bit laid back and formal. Although, I found it to be very good to be clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back