Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Jun 2, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #301 of 1,173
I've heard a lot of fine audio and the Qualia still baffles me. I typically HATE gear that sounds "super fast and detailed". That usually means bright, analytical, sterile, and generally unlistenable. Yet the Qualia is truly different. Probably my favorite headphone, despite the midrange weirdness -- after a short while my senses would adjust, and then they were capable of rendering the least headphone-like sound I've heard from headphones. They're the most resolving headphones, too (I could never quite get into the electrostats) -- and yet, super-musical, like lots of the overly warm gear (L3000, DX1000, RKV Mk II), minus the actual warmth. I liked them with everything from classical to hard rock. Sure, the R10 mids were better (it's hard to beat magic, and I'm a midrange-centric guy)...but I thought the 010 highs were a touch better and the bass was FAR superior.

I felt that the HD800 sounded like a poor knockoff of the Qualia -- really, a bad joke.

Jun 2, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #302 of 1,173
Good info.

Ive only heard the qualia once, and i was totally unimpressed. It may have been the fit as others have said however.

I was offered a mint 010 but it was $4600 and i was really unsure about taking the risk. At the time i ended up buying the stax009.

I was offered another recently at the same price, and again didnt bite. Perhaps ill regret it.

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #303 of 1,173
Quote:
Good info.
Ive only heard the qualia once, and i was totally unimpressed. It may have been the fit as others have said however.
I was offered a mint 010 but it was $4600 and i was really unsure about taking the risk. At the time i ended up buying the stax009.
I was offered another recently at the same price, and again didnt bite. Perhaps ill regret it.

If you decide to get the Qualia, a small sized headband is still available for around $700 I think.  Well worth it in my opinion.

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #304 of 1,173
Quote:
If you decide to get the Qualia, a small sized headband is still available for around $700 I think.  Well worth it in my opinion.

Good point, Purk.

I had the medium, and it's comically oversized for normal heads (including mine); very difficult to get them in the optimal position (via improvised padding; e.g. foam, bubble wrap? :wink:) and keep them there. Purk's small 010 headband fits securely and makes it far easier to hear what you're supposed to from the 010. The large headbands must be beyond "what were they thinking" territory.

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #306 of 1,173
Yeah ive read quite a few people saying the same thing.

As a pure collector id already have one, but the time I did hear it, I really wasn't impressed at all. Sadly its not like you can get a demo anymore with my own source/music and the perfect fitting. Id have to spend $4,600 then potentially another $700 to get the fitting right. Even then im not sure if Id like the sound signature. I do try to use most of my headphones, to enjoy them.

Interesting to hear muppetface saying they sound like a much improved HD800. The HD800 is actually one of my least favourite headphones out of all the 'top flight' models. its too clinical for my tastes. I much prefer the T1.

ill keep looking for a good deal, but anyone selling the Qualia 010 seems to want close to five grand. Just not sure id be happy with them.

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #307 of 1,173
Most Qualias are going to be close to five grand just based on their rarity. Personally, I adore it and don't regret buying mine in the least. If you think the HD800 is too clinical and analytical however, then I really don't think the Qualia would be for you. Its sound is certainly not for everyone.

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #308 of 1,173
Yes, they are as you say considerably rarer than the R10. ill maybe get one sometime.

Next is an audio technica ATH L3000. I had one before and sold it, which was a big mistake.

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #309 of 1,173
I was thinking the same about the Qualia.

I am just scared to put 4600 dollars on it and don't like it at all...

It seems to be the most special headphone ever made. And I think it is strange to pay double retail price for it when the R10 is just 1500 - 2000 dollars more than the retail price.

I use the R10 with the very good little soundcard e-mu 204 usb. It sounds impressive. Very round, well balanced and warm. Match the R10 perfectly like a charm. Can be THE perfect solution for portable Amp with a laptop.

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #310 of 1,173
I am most curious to compare the R10 to the Fostex TH900, as I have heard from an R10 owner that they are somewhat similar in certain respects. Personally I really like the TH900 and think it's one of the most impressive dynamic headphones being made still, so I look forward to hearing them side by side.

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #311 of 1,173
I am most curious to compare the R10 to the Fostex TH900, as I have heard from an R10 owner that they are somewhat similar in certain respects. Personally I really like the TH900 and think it's one of the most impressive dynamic headphones being made still, so I look forward to hearing them side by side.

they are rather alike in some regards. Fantastic midrange qualities.

R10 has a larger soundstage, its quite noticeable.

Jun 3, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #312 of 1,173
Good to see this thread recently revived and active again. I've had my R10s for about 5 years now, and my desire for other headphones seems to be perpetually dwindling. Every subsequent headphone I've bought has been inferior to the R10s in so many ways that I can never just appreciate them for what they do well. The R10s musicality coupled with the unreal detail of my K-01 and the versatility of the SDS-XLR is just perfect, for me. There's absolutely no other setup I've heard that comes close to its reproduction of classical and jazz. When it comes to hard rock and metal I switch over to my L3000s and I'm in heaven (or should it be hell?). But I recently had a week of listening to Mahler on SACD with the R10s and it was the experience of a lifetime.

Jun 3, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #313 of 1,173
Quote:
Good to see this thread recently revived and active again. I've had my R10s for about 5 years now, and my desire for other headphones seems to be perpetually dwindling. Every subsequent headphone I've bought has been inferior to the R10s in so many ways that I can never just appreciate them for what they do well. The R10s musicality coupled with the unreal detail of my K-01 and the versatility of the SDS-XLR is just perfect, for me. There's absolutely no other setup I've heard that comes close to its reproduction of classical and jazz. When it comes to hard rock and metal I switch over to my L3000s and I'm in heaven (or should it be hell?). But I recently had a week of listening to Mahler on SACD with the R10s and it was the experience of a lifetime.

Great point, and I agree completely. I do often use the STAX009 as well, but the R10 is special and one of the few dynamic headphones id class up there with the greatest of all time.

I was listening to Jill Jackson's Getaway Driver tonight on them, and they are so natural in their rendition of many instruments and vocals. Obviously complex recordings really show their strengths. I keep listening to Chopin Concertos: Nos 1 & 2 by the polish festival orchestra - its spectacular with the R10's, even better than STAX009. In my honest opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back