Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Dec 21, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #226 of 1,173

Quote:
Originally Posted by carm /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As far as I know R10 has been introduced to the market  in 1989, but there you go: 

Any ideas, how this could be possible ?

Sure. 
  • It's a misprint. 1998 might actually have been in the 900's, serial #-wise. Less seriously: Perhaps they were running out of 9's and had to conserve; better to hack the decade than the century. Better yet, maybe they made up for the erroneous 7 by filling-in a loop with a pen/marker, but the fix has faded over the years.
  • It's a certificate to a different Sony high-end product that actually was produced in 1978.
  • It's a photo-chop or a paper-hack job - why does the 7 look a bit faded compared to the other printing?

Those headphones were not produced in 1978.

Dec 21, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #227 of 1,173

Quote:
As far as I know R10 has been introduced to the market  in 1989, but there you go: 

Any ideas, how this could be possible ?

I'm going to guess that it is a missprinted.  That production year should be in 1998 not 1978.  The user manual from the 1989 has white color cover then later change to red and blue.  Most R10s with SN above 1000 have blue cover user manual.

Dec 24, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #228 of 1,173
it's probably not a misprint. for some reason, the year is indicated in Showa years, which can be
googled. so, 1978 really means, 1978 + 25 = 2003.

btw, seller indicates the earpads are starting to come off as the adhesive is getting weaker.
good price with two days to go on the auction. (i'm not the seller; nor associated with seller)

http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g98748263

Dec 26, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #229 of 1,173
I am now the owner of S/N 1129. Today was the first chance I had for a long listening session. Using them with my Leben CS300XS. This is a terrific combo, and the sound is absolutely jaw dropping.

Dec 26, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #230 of 1,173
Congratulation Sky, I have always wanted a pair.  Is it the bass heavy version?  That will be my choice.  Would you care to give some observations (not reviews) how it compares to th HE-6 or the LCD2?

Dec 26, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #231 of 1,173
Thanks! Yes mine are the bass heavy. And they sound terrific. My initial impression is that they are better in pretty much every way over either the HE-6 or LCD-2, but honestly not by a super huge margin, as the improvements at the very high end are more and more subtle. But for me they were worth it since I have to do a lot of listening with closed headphones, and to have a closed headphone that is better than even the best of my open headphones is a dream come true for me. And the R10 really are pretty incredible sounding. The mids are just to die for, and the soundstaging is amazing in absolute terms, and especially so for a sealed can.

Dec 26, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #232 of 1,173
Hehehehe, Sky, you have a headphone collection that I can only find in my dream.  I listened to a R10 bass heavy version for an hour at the LA Can fest connected to a towering (3 feet high) Single Power amp and I was mesmerized by the sound chamber like characteristic.  It sounded very good, it doesn't have that openness that a open phone will give but the sound was sweet, smooth, immediate, personal, and very hypnotic.  I think I'll find one eventually.  I envy you.

Dec 26, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #233 of 1,173

Quote:
Congratulation Sky, I have always wanted a pair.  Is it the bass heavy version?  That will be my choice.  Would you care to give some observations (not reviews) how it compares to th HE-6 or the LCD2?

Don't forget the Ed10 in this shoot-out 
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #234 of 1,173

Quote:

Quote:

biggrin.gif

You are right and I know Sky is still waiting for his ED10.  But the R-10 is in a different category.  First of all, the ED10 is an open phone and right now there are quite a few open phones (LCD2, HE6, T1, 800 etc) competing for the King of the Hill position.  Second, I have already seen two to three negative impressions with the ED10 and in the FS forum.  But in the Closed phone category, the R10 is almost unmatched plus it is discontinued so that makes it special.

Dec 26, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #235 of 1,173

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

biggrin.gif

You are right and I know Sky is still waiting for his ED10.  But the R-10 is in a different category.  First of all, the ED10 is an open phone and right now there are quite a few open phones (LCD2, HE6, T1, 800 etc) competing for the King of the Hill position.  Second, I have already seen two to three negative impressions with the ED10 and in the FS forum.  But in the Closed phone category, the R10 is almost unmatched plus it is discontinued so that makes it special.

Just trying to get another top dynamic into this comparison, as orthos are in more of a different category than open vs. closed IMO. And third, there are a diversity of opinions on the HE-6/LCD-2 as well.

Dec 27, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #236 of 1,173
By all accounts this is a phenomenal phone.

Granted, this is a niche segment price wise but several companies are putting out TOTL and statement phones. 

A lot has changed since this phone came to market . Some good and some bad, and lessons have been learnt.

I am bemused that neither Sony nor any other company takes up the slack and capitulate on this winning formula. 

Headphone listening has never been more vibrant so why not reincarnate the R10 .

Care to speculate why we do not have a R10 mkII in production, if not from Sony then another company under agreement if patents hold the key.

Just hoping for a route to ownership .

Dec 27, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #237 of 1,173
I think Sony lost money on the R10, not very encouraging for re-entry.

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #238 of 1,173
If you used to read my post,you know,how crazy I am for the ED10,but the R10 is really something special.
It's easy for me to said ,the R10 is the best headphones I've listened to.

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #239 of 1,173
I will for sure include the Ed 10.  I got them 3 days ago, but just started breaking them in yesterday. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back