Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Dec 27, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #241 of 1,173
Congratulations, Skylab !

Let us hope for a MEGA review from you 
wink.gif

Dec 27, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #242 of 1,173

Quote:
Its official Rob is now ready for CNET and Steve Guttenberg should profile the gear Rob has and his collection is to die for. Best of luck with those new babies.

Err....Rob who and what's going on?

Dec 27, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #243 of 1,173
Hehehehe, I secretly hoping the ED10 or some other phones could best the R-10 to save me some money down the road.  But I am afraid the result is not going to be my liking
biggrin.gif

Sky, the way you are going, LCD2, HE-6, ED10, R10, Larry aka "Headphoneaddict" will have to give up that name to you.
tongue.gif

May 1, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #245 of 1,173

Quote:
Im late to the party, but these are my favorite headphones, right up with the stax 009.
I even prefer the r10 with some material... Shame sony may never repeat this product.

You certainly have the collection to compare to ! It boggles the mind that the r10 was never re-leased. I'd be willing to bet at $5000 they could get 500 people to buy it. Hell even a $6500 250-unit limited edition run.
In the end I guess sony has no interest considering thats peanuts for them. I'd just be sadisifed if they made a new flag ship.

May 1, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #247 of 1,173
Quote:

You certainly have the collection to compare to ! It boggles the mind that the r10 was never re-leased. I'd be willing to bet at $5000 they could get 500 people to buy it. Hell even a $6500 250-unit limited edition run.
In the end I guess sony has no interest considering thats peanuts for them. I'd just be sadisifed if they made a new flag ship.

absolutely. I paid for a set recently (bought from an older man in Japan who seems to have hardly used them, he is sending spare pads too which is handy - pictures below). I have an older set in the 300 serial number (MarkL owned them a few owners before me). I had my friend recable them (high grade silver plated copper cable) from the drivers to balanced and to clean them out - from what he said it was nervewrecking but he is skilled with this. all the foam had disintegrated but ive some pads coming soon to fix them up. Might post a thread on the repairs my friend made.

they actually clean up well with some quality mineral oil and leather treatment.

May 1, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #248 of 1,173
Thanks for sharing the photos. That r10 looks to be in great shape. One day I hope to track one down. I love the look for it (and the sound). 
You have two units? Are both bass-light ?

May 5, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #251 of 1,173
The most incredible thing about the R10 is the neutrality and the means they have of getting 'into' the music. They are one of the few headphones that I forget I am wearing rather than concentrating on a weakness I can hear (such as slightly inflated bass, forward mids or sibilance). This happens with almost all other headphones I have heard or own, and I have more than I would like to admit.

Sadly it is very difficult to listen to anything else after using them for a period of time.

My friend was listening to the R10's last night after using my balanced Denon D7000 and he said 'wow are the R10's really that much money? they seem so 'flat'.'

We spent another hour with them and he mentioned he was hearing things he never had before (a dramatically overused statement I know when discussing headphones). After a few hours he went back to the Denon D7000 and was amazed at how coloured and 'overblown' they sounded. The Denon D7000 are actually one of my favourite headphones, but you need to approach them a long time after hearing the R10's so your ears have time to readjust to their signature.

By the end of the night my friend understood the attraction with the R10, although he would never pay that much for headphones. Perhaps im one of the crazy few who feel they are worth 5-7k. They are also the only closed headphone ive heard, that sound open.

I think the true great headphones, such as STAX 009 and R10 are able to just reach right into the music and 'remove' themselves from the equation. It is a very emotional experience, and im not sure you can put a price on that.

Id love to hear your views.

May 18, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #252 of 1,173
Good evening everyone.

I just received my R10 today, just 1 hour ago. Everything is in really great condition.

I was just very touched and nervous about to listen my favorites albums with the headphone.

So, all I can is : this is indeed, the BEST headphone I ever listened.

I chose three albums for the first listening :

Beck Sea Change SACD : really nice sounding, the soundstage is really wide.

Dark Side of the Moon SACD : Impressive ! But the most impressive is the voice of Clare Torry on The Great Gig in the Sky.
It is like she was front of me ! I can ear all the details of his voice, all the emotion.

Wish you were here SACD : Excellent too, but we can feel here that this remaster is maybe not the best, because the R10 reveals the good quality of a cd, but the bad too...

Toulouse Street - Doobie Brothers - MFSL : Breath-taking !

And

Kind of blue SACd : here, it is maybe the best to reveal all the amazing performance of the R10. The soundstage is perfect, very 3D sound, just close your eyes, and it is like you are in a concert made just for you !

So, this headphone is a piece of art in any way you analyse : beautiful headphones, amazing leather case, outstanding sound. It is like an instrument that show you the soul of the music.

For Classical music, it is amazing. I have the same feeling, the same sound as a concert hall. I go to classical concert around two times per week ,and it is  very near that (for me a classical concert in a good theater, I go to Pleyel in Paris, is the best sound ever.  

For the voices, the MDR-R10 can translate the soul of the singer.

For now, all I can say is : it brings me to the stratosphere.

I will try to put some pictures soon !

Happy to be now in the club !

Thanks and greetings from Paris !

Ps : I don't know why but on the card with the serial number, I don't have any year of production...

May 18, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #253 of 1,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modwright01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I go to Pleyel in Paris, is the best sound ever.  

Thanks and greetings from Paris !

Another parisian ? that's amazing ! 

And yes I agree the Salle Pleyel is really, really good. I'm eagerly waiting to hear Masaaki Suzuki's take on Bach's Mass In B minor..

May 21, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #254 of 1,173
Yes sir ! Another Parisian !

Who is the other one ?

So, after few days I own the R10, i just lost my sleep.

Yesterday, I just began to re-listen all my sacd's with the R10. I began at 10 PM...And ....Finish at...6 A.M. Believe or not.

In lot of cases, It is like listen another LP. For jazz, Blues in Orbit for exemple, sounds just AMAZING !

That's just crazy, this R10 is just made with the hand of god !

On the Harnoncourt Mozart Requiem, I can ear people turning pages, moving around.
On Beach Boys MFSL, I can ear everything, just small details, people breathing just before to sing !
The beatles remastering sounds just outstanding.
On Brandebourgh Bach by Masaaki Suzuki, it is just to be in the center on the stage during the recording session !!!!!! WOAAAAAAWW !

On the beatles, the major best recordings had to be re listen with the R10 to discover the REAL beatles !!!! Just want to cry each time I listen the Mono Box.

I don't agree with people said that this headphone is not for all king of music, I think it matches with every kind OF GOOD RECORDINGS. :)

No word to explain.

My Nad T955/T163 with KEF IQ30 just sound near borring now !!!!! (But thanks to my T163, match perfectly with the R10 !!)

Each time I listen some good records, it is like I have a private concert, a very exclusive rendez-vous with Miles Davis, or John Lennon, or David Bowie, or Mozart !

Woaw. No word. Just emotion ! 

May 22, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #255 of 1,173

Users who are viewing this thread

Back