Sony MDR-MV1
Feb 28, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #361 of 461
Just got the headphones.. Now testing I hereby declare this is the most comfortable headphones I ever worn in my life. Beating Hd6Xx in comfort level.

1709170238845.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 1:23 AM Post #362 of 461
In the soft whisper of time's passage, gathering now for a reunion most sacred, summoning forth from the depths of memory, the venerable Sony Discman D350, a beacon of technology advancement in its hey days with its 8x oversampling digital filter, alongside its progeny, the Sony MV1, born of the same lineage yet separated by the span of thirty-three years. Like father and son, their reunion transcends mere functionality, embodying a lineage of innovation and spirit. The Sony D350, in its inception in the year 1991, embarked upon a journey, setting the stage for a saga that would unfold over decades, each device a chapter in the grand tapestry of technological evolution. Let us bear witness to this gathering, a testament to the enduring legacy of creation and the timeless bond that unites generations.

Sorry folks - I am too bored listening non-stop since I got the MV1. lol

1709187019278.jpeg

Feb 29, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #364 of 461
Congratulations, can you try with movies how they sound? Thanks
Since not many people answered your question about movies, here is my preference. I only have had a few, so take it with a grain of salt.

MDR-MV1 > HD660S > HD660S2 > Z7M2 > 1AM2

The bass, sub-bass, and imaging in MV1 beat the rest easily.

Feb 29, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #365 of 461
Since not many people answered your question about movies, here is my preference. I only have had a few, so take it with a grain of salt.

MDR-MV1 > HD660S > HD660S2 > Z7M2 > 1AM2

The bass, sub-bass, and imaging in MV1 beat the rest easily.
Thank you, now you got me interested. Definitely need to order a pair from amazon and if I don't like them will send them back.

Feb 29, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #366 of 461
Congratulations, can you try with movies how they sound? Thanks
They sound great on movies and better than HD6XX series. However, if you only listening to dialogue or podcast, the HD6Xx is still better as the vocal is more present. The bass impact makes this an ideal headphone for movies and gaming. The imaging is pretty accurate.

Feb 29, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #367 of 461
Quick review MV1 (not fully burnt in yet) vs NDH 30 (Over burnt in lol)

1709247140703.jpeg

The MV1 excels in movie viewing and gaming, thanks to its precise imaging and an acceptable soundstage. It delivers tremendous bass for an open-back headphone, although I sometimes find it overpowering. The peak from 6Hz to 8Hz is almost balanced by the bass level, which kind of reduces the sibilance effect.

Surprisingly, the MV1 sounds much warmer than I expected, despite having a large treble spike from 6-8Hz when reading the graph. This was one of the reasons I am late in the game cause I just couldn't get past that peak. I expected it to sound as bright as the HiFiMan Arya/HE1000, but I was completely wrong. The spike is indeed noticeable, but it doesn't sound as harsh as the graphs portrayed - totally surprised. It also only occasionally makes its presence known. I can definately live with this spike and consider my sound preferece to be on the warmer side like the HD650 series.

1709247263853.jpeg

As for the soundstage, it's quite wide. It surpasses all the HD 6XX series and below, but it doesn't match the NDH 30. The NDH 30's soundstage is wider, deeper, and more holographic—more three-dimensional than the MV1. Don't get me wrong; it's still wider than some of the previous Sony closed-back studio phones, but it just can't compete with the NDH 30 in terms of soundstage. The vocals on the MV1 are also closer, whereas the NDH 30 projects them further.

When it comes to vocals, there's no contest. The NDH 30 is more accurate at all levels. The same goes for the HD 6XX; the MV1 is not in the same league as Sennheiser's legendary accurate vocal reproduction. The NDH 30's vocals are more present, and accurate and sounded way more natural than the MV1. To be fair, there are not many headphones out there that can compete with Sennheiser's legendary HD650/HD600 romantic natural vocal and in turn, both of these headphones can't compete with the NDH 30 in terms of accuracy. That being said, the MV1 is still natural and accurate enough as it is designed for mastering so it is not way off like some Hifiman thin and compressed vocal. It still has the warmth and smooth bold vocal but just lacks the resolution of the NDH 30. It's really good enough, I am nitpicking.

20240229_143612.jpg

Ah, the bass... ha! That's my favorite aspect and the main reason why I bought the MV1. I was in search of a mastering headphone capable of producing stronger bass, similar to the NDH 20 (not 30), because occasionally I get tried of the NDH 30's accuracy. I needed something fun, and the MV1 delivered it in spades. I would describe the MV1 as a fun yet sufficiently accurate headphone, with enough warmth to not veer too far from the HD6xx series, yet offering significantly more resolution than the HD6xx. The MV1 fills the gap the HD6XX lacks in bass. The bass of the MV1 is "delicious". It's not at the level of bass-head headphones but has ample bass (far more than the HD660S2), the mv1 can deliver the subwoofer power rumble that feels like a massive spaceship hovering overhead. It's not bloated or muddy; it's just perfect. It's also not as quick as the HiFiMan planar-type bass but sufficiently good. I'd say it meets the audiophile standard for good bass level—not the highest end, but it just barely crosses the threshold for acceptable audiophile quality (if such a thing exists... lol).

20240229_143640.jpg

To be honest, the bass on the MV1 reminds me of Sony's legendary 'Mega Bass' switch found on their Discman and Walkman. I've continued to buy Sony devices over the last 30 years because of that magical switch—the Mega Bass. I've missed it, but now Sony has integrated it into their MV1. LOL. I doubt anyone would complain about it being too much bass. It's 'delicious' bass. No one is going to complain when the bass tastes this good.

20240229_142932.jpg

So, there you have it. The MV1 will stay with me for a very long time. It's a headphone I can pull out for some fun, and because it's so damn comfortable and lightweight, I tend to wear it all day long with continuous background music. In fact, that's the first thing I did this morning: put on the Sony MV1 and enjoy some coffee. (I've already had it on for 8 hours now and not a hint of fatigue).

Mar 2, 2024 at 7:17 AM Post #372 of 461
Been reading only good things about it. It should be more popular at the given price/value.
People like to crap on Sony, especially the audiophile community. I constantly read about how we should buy sennheiser over sony, or pretty much any high end name brand. Ive actually been called a Sony fanboy for stating the fact that the MV1 beats the HD600 series of headphones. "Liar, sony fanboy, you dont know crap about headphones" its honestly sad. A lot of those same audiophiles don't even know that OHMs effects how loud your headphones can go based on whats driving it. Many dac/amps will even quote power output at 32ohms and 600ohms to give you an idea of performance. But naw, you can give 600ohm headphones 2w just like 32ohms even though spec sheets claim otherwise.... So why isnt Sony more popular? Audiophiles gatekeeping people from trying other gear. I spent way too much money on headphones to give an audiophile biased response....

Mar 2, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #373 of 461
It depends on what an individual is looking for in headphones. Most "audiophile" enthusiasts opt for the HD 6XX series due to its natural vocal reproduction, warmth, and non-fatiguing, easy-listening quality. These headphones are mostly neutral with a greater focus on vocals. However, they do lack bass, and after 20 years of complaints, Sennheiser released the HD660S2 to enhance the bass levels. Still, some people find them to have a veiled and claustrophobic soundstage. This is where the Sony MV1 comes into play.

The release of the Sony MV1 further bridges this gap. It offers warm, smooth, natural vocals, with enough bass to please bass heads and sufficient treble to lift the "Sennheiser" HD650 veil, closer aligning to the treble response of Hifiman - yet without harsh as it did cut off at the very top. Its open soundstage is much wider than that of the HD6XX series, offering higher resolution, and these changes are not subtle. The moment I switch from the HD6XX series to the MV1, I immediately notice the sound opening up.

Occasionally, it reminds me of the Meze 109 Pro but with much better natural vocals and less sibilance than the 109 Pro... or perhaps it feels like an open-back version of the Meze 109 Pro. lol.

Now, the ultimate aspect for me is the comfort of the Sony MV1. I always thought the HD6XX series was the pinnacle of comfort - akin to wearing comfortable slippers. The Sony MV1 takes it a step further, feeling like slip-on shoes on hotel carpeting. It's even lighter than the HD6XX (260g vs 223g).

I've been playing with the EQ settings, and it responds quite well. I'm trying to incorporate the NDH 30's vocal clarity into it, as there's still a long way to go to match the NDH 30's super-accurate vocal reproduction. Don't get me wrong, the MV1's vocals are natural enough, but they're slightly overshadowed by the bass and treble. I'm getting pretty close and might publish some EQ settings later.

I also think that HD6xx fans may not jump onto the MV1 solely because the MV1 is not as vocal-focused as the HD6xx. The MV1 focuses on balancing the entire sound spectrum so the vocal is not prominent and its balance by the bass and treble. I think Sony philosophy is to produce a headphones so you can listen to everything all at once without the vocal subducing the bass like the HD6xx series. For me, I need a little getting used to it since I am coming from the HD6xx series headphones. but its a lot of fun with the sony MV1.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #374 of 461
It depends on what an individual is looking for in headphones. Most "audiophile" enthusiasts opt for the HD 6XX series due to its natural vocal reproduction, warmth, and non-fatiguing, easy-listening quality. These headphones are mostly neutral with a greater focus on vocals. However, they do lack bass, and after 20 years of complaints, Sennheiser released the HD660S2 to enhance the bass levels. Still, some people find them to have a veiled and claustrophobic soundstage. This is where the Sony MV1 comes into play.

The release of the Sony MV1 further bridges this gap. It offers warm, smooth, natural vocals, with enough bass to please bass heads and sufficient treble to lift the "Sennheiser" HD650 veil, closer aligning to the treble response of Hifiman - yet without harsh as it did cut off at the very top. Its open soundstage is much wider than that of the HD6XX series, offering higher resolution, and these changes are not subtle. The moment I switch from the HD6XX series to the MV1, I immediately notice the sound opening up.

Occasionally, it reminds me of the Meze 109 Pro but with much better natural vocals and less sibilance than the 109 Pro... or perhaps it feels like an open-back version of the Meze 109 Pro. lol.

Now, the ultimate aspect for me is the comfort of the Sony MV1. I always thought the HD6XX series was the pinnacle of comfort - akin to wearing comfortable slippers. The Sony MV1 takes it a step further, feeling like slip-on shoes on hotel carpeting. It's even lighter than the HD6XX (260g vs 223g).

I've been playing with the EQ settings, and it responds quite well. I'm trying to incorporate the NDH 30's vocal clarity into it, as there's still a long way to go to match the NDH 30's super-accurate vocal reproduction. Don't get me wrong, the MV1's vocals are natural enough, but they're slightly overshadowed by the bass and treble. I'm getting pretty close and might publish some EQ settings later.

I also think that HD6xx fans may not jump onto the MV1 solely because the MV1 is not as vocal-focused as the HD6xx. The MV1 focuses on balancing the entire sound spectrum so the vocal is not prominent and its balance by the bass and treble. I think Sony philosophy is to produce a headphones so you can listen to everything all at once without the vocal subducing the bass like the HD6xx series. For me, I need a little getting used to it since I am coming from the HD6xx series headphones. but its a lot of fun with the sony MV1.
I know that @purk did a cable mod for the mv1, where it's now dual sided instead of only being on the left side, he claimed significant SQ changes for the better. I think that mod + kimber cable will do the trick with the vocals.

I also wonder about people pad rolling these headphones, although the stock pads are absolute superb, I truly wonder if someone may find an even better match in the future.

I may send my mv1s to jmaudio to see what mods he can do to them besides the dual sided cables.

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #375 of 461
I know that @purk did a cable mod for the mv1, where it's now dual sided instead of only being on the left side, he claimed significant SQ changes for the better. I think that mod + kimber cable will do the trick with the vocals.

I also wonder about people pad rolling these headphones, although the stock pads are absolute superb, I truly wonder if someone may find an even better match in the future.

I may send my mv1s to jmaudio to see what mods he can do to them besides the dual sided cables.
It’s pretty legit after the dual side hardwire mods. The signal is much more optimum with less loss by bypassing connector, solder joints, and that very thin OFC wire connecting from the left to right side. I used a Moon Audio Black Dragon IEM cable on mine not wanting to weigh this fairly light with heavy cable. Initially I made a DIY Silver Dragon with 3.5 mm TRRS and thought that it sounded really good with more clarity and tighter bass impact. However, it was just a little too heavy and not as ergonomics so I decided to do a dual side hardwired cable mods. The audible improvement was more than the TRRS silver dragon despite the Silver Dragon is a higher grade cable. Not having to go thru those bottlenecks sure does a lot of good to the audio chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back