Sony MDR-MV1
Jan 1, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #316 of 479
Just made the purchase of the MV1’s after reading your impressions and comparisons to the 1AM2, my favorite and beloved headphones.

I’m getting these for listening while at home alone, so I don’t compromise my safety and sound quality! Occasionally I’ll use my new Kef LSXii speakers but it depends on my mood.

Jan 18, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #317 of 479
Just got my Sony MDR-MV1, also have a DT990 Pro that I have used for years and the HD6xx to compare with. I've found it to be overall better than the DT990 in its balance, it certainly has similar highs in the treble but is less fatiguing for longer listening sessions and the bass is quite nice for an open back. It is slightly less open than the other two headphones which is likely what helps the low end. I think the HD6xx makes for easier listening with the closer stage and roll-off in highs and lows but the Sony really shines in exposing detail and mix as a professional mixing headphone should. I agree with other reviews that it's almost too revealing on some songs. This does make it great for gaming.

Build and comfort wise I think it's built extremely well for how light it is. The headband does have a smaller contact patch across the top of the head and mostly rests in the middle so it does not distribute weight as well as the other two headphones. <- The headband material is a little tight out of the box, this gets better after a few wears and spreads out the contact a bit more. Comfort is 10/10 if your ears fit well. -> If it wasn't as light as it is this could be a problem but I can still wear it for a long time without issue. The clamp is just right but I also don't have much issue with the HD6xx clamp force. The pads are more comfortable although slightly less spacious around the ear.

My one worry is the pad wear, if they start to squish more I could see the ear touching the driver to get uncomfortable, more so than the DT990 and HD6xx as they have a thicker foam over the driver. I can't find Sony selling spare pads at the moment, does anyone know if they would end up doing so? This is my first Sony headphone so I'm not sure which of their models they sell them for.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #318 of 479
The pads is new, and pretty unique in its shape, tho for size and fitting itself I think many standard replacement pads for studio style cans should fit.
Tho have to admit, my Kef is occupying 90% of my home use these days. I'm finding it easier to have more eartime for portable full-size when they are easy to carry around like MV1 here.
It's surprising how far you can get with 2 channel system, if you can afford the extra noise, I don't think headphones can compete for home use, both on value and the upper ceiling it can go to.

Feb 14, 2024 at 12:49 AM Post #320 of 479
I just impulsively bought the MDR-MV1 yesterday and got it today. I also bought this cheap 4.4mm cable (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C3C242T9) and it seems to work just great with my DAP.

I was a little concerned with the treble peak, but I've tried to put on some of my brightest test tracks and I haven't been bothered by it at all. It's clearly more defined in the treble range, but not sibilant or harsh for my ears. I tried tracks from Norah Jones, Fleetwood Mac, Rhianna, and some EDM stuff and it didn't bother me.

The bass is quite big for an open-back and I was surprised to hear good subbass quantity on this headphone.

My favorite part is just how amazingly light and comfortable these are! It's 220 grams and suede pads! oh man. I wish all my headphones were this light and comfy! It is even more comfortable than my beloved HD600, and much lighter than my Susvara!

Anyway, not a huge fan of the build quality, but if you wanna make it light, you gotta compromise here and there. The "Professional" stickers are also not aligned very well, but I may end up taking those off I decide to keep these (which it seems I will...)

Obligatory graphs I measured tonight: https://headphones.audiodiscourse.com/?share=Antdroid_v3_Target,MDR-MV1

graph (2).png

graph (5).png

graph (4).png

graph (7).png

Feb 14, 2024 at 2:50 AM Post #321 of 479
Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #322 of 479
Feb 15, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #324 of 479
A quick test this with my DT1990
1) DT1990
2) Sony MDR MV1 (a bit warmer, but the difference is slight)
3) Sennheiser HD 660S2 (a bit darker)

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #325 of 479
A quick test this with my DT1990
1) DT1990
2) Sony MDR MV1 (a bit warmer, but the difference is slight)
3) Sennheiser HD 660S2 (a bit darker)
The sony mv1 seems soooo nice in these tests, a bit bassier than the dt1990, but considering the comfort is almost undoubtedly better + the drivability being far easier, it's just a terrific option.

Can't wait to get my pair, I was supposed to get an mdr z1r before but ems lost my package sadly.

I think I should've went for the mv1 in the first place honestly, overall it seems that it'll suit me better due to the comfort and weight being an improvement. I value that very highly :)

Plus it's a direct upgrade over my favorite headphones rn, the mdr 1am2, atleast, that's how it seems like to me

Feb 15, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #326 of 479
The sony mv1 seems soooo nice in these tests, a bit bassier than the dt1990, but considering the comfort is almost undoubtedly better + the drivability being far easier, it's just a terrific option.

Can't wait to get my pair, I was supposed to get an mdr z1r before but ems lost my package sadly.

I think I should've went for the mv1 in the first place honestly, overall it seems that it'll suit me better due to the comfort and weight being an improvement. I value that very highly :)

Plus it's a direct upgrade over my favorite headphones rn, the mdr 1am2, atleast, that's how it seems like to me
For me, i had the 1am2, upgraded to z7m2, then mv1. And i LOVE my mv1s. They blow both those other 2 out the water. Bonus, gaming! The spatial sound is accurate as hell. Sennheisers are too wide and closed backs are too narrow. The mv1 is the perfect middle ground

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #327 of 479
For me, i had the 1am2, upgraded to z7m2, then mv1. And i LOVE my mv1s. They blow both those other 2 out the water. Bonus, gaming! The spatial sound is accurate as hell. Sennheisers are too wide and closed backs are too narrow. The mv1 is the perfect middle ground
hell yeah, can't wait to get mine! will pair it with my npaudio modded wm1a :)

Feb 17, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #328 of 479
I just impulsively bought the MDR-MV1 yesterday and got it today. I also bought this cheap 4.4mm cable (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C3C242T9) and it seems to work just great with my DAP.

I was a little concerned with the treble peak, but I've tried to put on some of my brightest test tracks and I haven't been bothered by it at all. It's clearly more defined in the treble range, but not sibilant or harsh for my ears. I tried tracks from Norah Jones, Fleetwood Mac, Rhianna, and some EDM stuff and it didn't bother me.

The bass is quite big for an open-back and I was surprised to hear good subbass quantity on this headphone.

My favorite part is just how amazingly light and comfortable these are! It's 220 grams and suede pads! oh man. I wish all my headphones were this light and comfy! It is even more comfortable than my beloved HD600, and much lighter than my Susvara!

Anyway, not a huge fan of the build quality, but if you wanna make it light, you gotta compromise here and there. The "Professional" stickers are also not aligned very well, but I may end up taking those off I decide to keep these (which it seems I will...)

Obligatory graphs I measured tonight: https://headphones.audiodiscourse.com/?share=Antdroid_v3_Target,MDR-MV1

graph (2).png

graph (5).png

graph (4).png

graph (7).png
its interesting because I heard the MV1 and i dont hear the treble peak either, why do you think it measures like that?

Feb 19, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #329 of 479
PXL_20240219_134819504.MP.jpg

well, these bad boys arrived, love the sound, comfort is superb.

These make me wonder just how better the mdr z1r is, honestly, the staging on these is pretty damn solid along with the precise imaging, I love the open nature of the sound, it:s very obvious :)

The treble peak doesn't feel harsh at all, if anything the headphpnes feel rather warm!

These are definitely a natural upgrade over my mdr 1am2.. and man, the mv1's headband adjusent mechanism is so. Goddamn. SATISFYING! The build on these, even though plastic, is superb. not eben 1 creak compared to the msr7 which is a creaking machine.

Feb 19, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #330 of 479
PXL_20240219_134819504.MP.jpg

well, these bad boys arrived, love the sound, comfort is superb.

These make me wonder just how better the mdr z1r is, honestly, the staging on these is pretty damn solid along with the precise imaging, I love the open nature of the sound, it:s very obvious :)

The treble peak doesn't feel harsh at all, if anything the headphpnes feel rather warm!

These are definitely a natural upgrade over my mdr 1am2.. and man, the mv1's headband adjusent mechanism is so. Goddamn. SATISFYING! The build on these, even though plastic, is superb. not eben 1 creak compared to the msr7 which is a creaking machine.
Not plastic by the way. Lightweight Aluminum. Direct from Sony marketing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back