Sony MDR-MV1
Oct 21, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #301 of 460
Well obviously, I'm more impressed of the MV1 for its size and portability, and you have moved on from Sony's house sound for a couple years also.
More new names come into the industry, more choices, but still the ever increasing prices. I feel kinda tired trying to catch up to them (even tho headphones are considerably slower than IEMs with the Chifi onslaught there).
For now am settled for years, I won't move until something truly different come out.
Headphone is slower by a couple years than speakers in adapting more smart features into them, only recently some brands are starting to release a model or two.
And now spatial music are still in its infancy also.
Obviously the limitation is much higher for headphone both in all aspect, size, battery, amplification, etc for them to not compromise in sound. While DSP can be either a crutch or strength of them.
That's why I feel Audeze is an interesting brand that have tried many different designs over the years, with Sony backing behind them, it's the only brand I'm looking closely into.

Nov 2, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #302 of 460
I'm on the hunt for a 4.4mm balanced cable that's compatible with the Sony MDR-MV1 headphones. I've come across some options on Amazon Japan, specifically from Nobunaga Labs and Sony, which seem like they could be a fit. However, I'm uncertain about their compatibility because the MV1s have a threaded 3.5mm connector that requires a screw-on attachment for a secure connection. The cables I've found don't seem to have this screw fastening function.

Has anyone here found a balanced cable that works perfectly with the MDR-MV1's connector?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Nov 2, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #303 of 460
I'm on the hunt for a 4.4mm balanced cable that's compatible with the Sony MDR-MV1 headphones. I've come across some options on Amazon Japan, specifically from Nobunaga Labs and Sony, which seem like they could be a fit. However, I'm uncertain about their compatibility because the MV1s have a threaded 3.5mm connector that requires a screw-on attachment for a secure connection. The cables I've found don't seem to have this screw fastening function.

Has anyone here found a balanced cable that works perfectly with the MDR-MV1's connector?

I am using both the balanced cable from my MDR- 1AM2 and the MUC S12SB1 Sony Kimber cable.

Both fit also to the MV1 connecter well and without issues:)

Nov 2, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #305 of 460

Hi baraster, I have a Sony MUC-S12NB1 which I'll be listing on ebay UK tomorrow.

It's like new in the original box and works perfectly with the MV1.

I'm happy to post it to Switzerland if you want to look out for it.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #306 of 460
Hey there,

Thanks for the heads up about your Sony MUC-S12NB1 listing. Now that I know it's compatible with the MV1s, I'll definitely keep an eye out for it on eBay. Can't promise anything just yet, but it's great to have the option. Really appreciate you offering to post it to Switzerland too. Cheers!

Nov 3, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #307 of 460
I am using both the balanced cable from my MDR- 1AM2 and the MUC S12SB1 Sony Kimber cable.

Both fit also to the MV1 connecter well and without issues:)
Can confirm this is working

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-03 163343.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-03 163343.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Nov 8, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #309 of 460
Nov 11, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #310 of 460
How secure is the fit for using in a busy studio environment?

Like, does it fall off your head forwards if you look down, or fall off your head backwards if you look up? Or does it stay securely in place?

Please let me know if you have a big/medium/small head for reference...

Nov 13, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #311 of 460
I have a medium size head and the MDR-MV1’s secure. The long-use comfort comes from the low mass of the headphones so it doesn’t require the “squeeze fit” to stay on your head.

I also like the Sony MDR-7506 headphones with the Beyerdynamic EDT250V headphone ear pads for long-use comfort. The stock ear pads on the MDR-MV1’s are similar to these.

Nov 20, 2023 at 10:30 PM Post #313 of 460
So, anyone know of deeper earcups that would fit on these? That's really my only complaint with these, the earcups aren't deep enough and thus my ears rub up against the driver on the inside.

Dec 24, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #314 of 460
I've had the Sony MDR-MV1's since mid-October. Initially, I used a Sonic Unity Encore mDSD USB dongle DAC/amp that is based on an ESS DAC chip to drive the Sony's. I recently purchased an iFi hip-dac3 from Amazon. This DAC/amp is smaller than I expected. It has a smaller footprint than my iPhone 14 Plus, which makes it highly portable. So far, I am really enjoying this DAC/amp. Compared to the Encore mDSD USB dongle DAC/amp, this is smoother, more powerful, more detailed, and it presents a larger soundstage. The bass is deeper, more articulate, and punchy, and I am not using the hip-dac3's XBass feature. This amp provides greater headroom and doesn't have the mid-high sibilance that I heard with the Sonic Unity Encore mDSD DAC/amp.

iFi hip-dac3 - iPhone 14 - Sony MDR-MV1.jpg

The hip-dac3 came with a Lightning-to-USB-C OTG cable shown in the photograph. I did not know that this was included and was prepared to use the bulky Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, so this was a welcome surprise. Had I known this was included, I would not have purchased a Linsoul DDHiFi MFI06L Lightning-to-USB-C OTG cable from Shenzhen Audio--oh well. For a headphone cable, I am currently using a single-ended Sony MUC-S12SM1 cable terminated at the amp end with a 3.5mm TRS connector. I ordered the balanced Sony MUC-S12SB1 cable (engineered with Kimber Kable) terminated at the amp end with a 4.4mm TRRS connector, so I can take advantage of the iFi hip-dac3's balanced output.

After a lot of research on portable personal hifi solutions, I settled on using the iFi hip-dac3 with my iPhone to drive my Sony MDR-MV1 headphones. I travel a lot for my job, and music listening is therapeutic for me, so it keeps me in a good mental state throughout the week. I had entertained getting a higher end Sony DAP like the Sony NW-ZX707 Walkman, but I try to travel as light as possible: one carry-on and my backpack, and my iPhone is a necessity, so then I focused on a DAC/amp. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a Chord Mojo 2 DAC/amp, but I kept running into videos and Web forum posts about the random white noise problems with iOS Lightning connections. Considering the cost of the Chord Mojo 2, I just thought I could risk damaging my Sony's and my ears. Then what? I looked into the iFi Gryphon DSD as an alternative, but it's a bit larger than I would prefer, so then I researched the iFi hip-dac3, and settled on that. I appreciate good, efficient industrial design, and the iFi hip-dac series of DAC/amps check that box for me. Besides, the hip-dac3's reasonable price leaves me with funds to invest in more music (love vinyl) and other audio toys like a nice Miter leather case to protect the hip-dac3.

IMG_0126.jpg

Lastly, I am so pleased with these headphones. I love my Sony MDR-7506 studio monitors for what they are. Adding the Beyerdynamic EDT250V ear pads to the MDR-7506's made a huge improvement in sound quality, comfort and durability (stock pads disintegrated). I bought the MDR-MV1 headphones expecting to get something similar to the MDR-7506's, but with the openness and larger soundstage with the open back design. These headphones have not disappointed me at all allowing me to hear into the mix. The lightweight design and stock earpads are so comfortable, I can wear these headphones for hours without any discomfort.

I am now thinking about a good desktop headphone amp to drive these Sony's, and I am considering the Schiit Mjolnir 3 pure Class A headphone amp, but that could be overkill for a $400 pair of dynamic headphones. My current main system consists of the following:
  • Bill Neumann (Fix My Dual) rebuilt Dual 1229 idler wheel-drive turntable with Shure V15 Type III MM cartridge
  • Schiit Mani 2 phono stage preamp - single-ended connection
  • Raspberry Pi4 running Volumio 3 USB-based streaming source
  • Denafrips Pontus 2 R2R DAC - balanced connection
  • Schiit Freya+ Tube/SS line stage with OS GE 6SN7's with side-getters (gain stage) and Tung Sol 6SN7's (driver stage) - balanced connection
  • Pass DIY Aleph J Single-Ended Class A power amp - balanced connection
  • KEF LS50 speakers
I really want to be able to tap into the main system for its excellent analog and digital sources. I am open to suggestions for a balanced desktop amp that is as musical as my hip-dac3 portable DAC/amp.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #315 of 460
I just received the Sony MUC-S12SB 1 balanced headphone cable for my Sony MDR-MV1's. Sony packages their items very nicely, and like my other Sony single ended headphone cable, Sony MUC-S12SM1, it came in a nice black cloth pouch.

I like the "drape" of this cable. It doesn't take a set in the wound coil shape, but lays neatly.

IMG_0130.jpgIMG_0131.jpgIMG_0133.jpg

All I can say is that this cable is on another level of performance.
  • The tonality is similar to the Sony single ended cable, but the detail and articulation from the lows to the highs is very good.
  • The bass is deeper and has more slam.
  • I gain a greater sense of space and scale in the recording.
  • The imaging (if I can call it that), is improved with a greater sense of separation.
The 8-braided conductor cable looks like a miniature version of Kimber Kable’s 8TC speaker wire. It may well be that as far as I can tell. The 4mm TRRS connector sits solidly locked into the iFi hip-dac3. I now understand why many headphone audiophiles prefer balanced cable connections.

Attachments

• IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back