Sony MDR-MV1
Aug 11, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #256 of 461
Joining Sony Headphone side..
TBF, always find Sony Headphone have a laid back Vocal, Based on my experience & also my gear. But when I demoed MV1, I was quite surprised, that I liked the Tonality. MV1 consider not Dark tonality. What I liked is how good the imaging clarity...
Someone in the my local community, mentions, changing the cable to TRRS, may increase the Bass oomph...

Another highlight that I consider this, is the light weight..
I always like how ATH R70x can sit in my head for Gaming hours... now I have high hope for this MV1...

Gears : Music Player: Audirvana - DAC: D70s - Amp: A30Pro

Brief of my own impression, MV1 vs R70x,
Build quality, By looks, R-70x is sturdier, and MV1 looks like cheap plastic, but it really makes from Anodize Alumunium... So Call me old school, I prefer R70x looks.

Sounds Impression, My challenge is the Headphones impedance, The gap is to wide, R-70x 470 ohm VS MV1 24 Ohm. Finding the same listening volume is really struggling for me...
O yeah, my R70x alrd used after market 4.4TRRS Cable UP-OCC copper, while MV1 is based on original 6.35 SE OFC cable.

R-70x (Compare MV1) will sound more darker, the high is more roll off, even the upper mid, So Safe for sibilance issued. Vocal in certain Song, is more weight & lush.
The fitting still better then MV1, more comfortable like you barely feel of using it. I still choose this for long hours gaming session. Where you need just need imaging precision, not detail or clarity...

MV1 (Сравните с R-70x), звук более нейтральный, с большей четкостью. Да, в некоторых песнях я нахожу сибилянты, но это в пределах моей компетенции. Размещение звуков (пространственное разрешение), вероятно, является основным моментом для этого MV1, детализация изображения лучше. И упало больше глубины четкости для хорошего определения источника звука.
Звуковая сцена будет немного шире.
Фитинговый хомут дает больше силы, но все же комфорт для меня.
Для серьезного прослушивания аудио я часто беру MV1...

Кстати, когда другой пользователь MV1 упоминает мне, что размещение вокала находится в мертвой точке, и я могу за это поручиться, я также испытываю то же самое ...
Для мобильного использования MV1 с крошечным DAP M0 Pro уже поет и доставляет удовольствие ... но вам нужен высокий коэффициент усиления, чтобы получить эту четкость в позиции (странно, но это то, что я чувствовал).

Звуковое впечатление будет продолжено...
Когда мой TRRS 4.4 уже готов

редактировать: я нахожу необычный тембр, как электрогитара... когда я использую портативное оборудование (M0Pro - HUGO2)... звуки кажутся неестественными, ИМО...

Joining Sony Headphone side..
TBF, always find Sony Headphone have a laid back Vocal, Based on my experience & also my gear. But when I demoed MV1, I was quite surprised, that I liked the Tonality. MV1 consider not Dark tonality. What I liked is how good the imaging clarity...
Someone in the my local community, mentions, changing the cable to TRRS, may increase the Bass oomph...
20230809_074936.jpg

Another highlight that I consider this, is the light weight..
I always like how ATH R70x can sit in my head for Gaming hours... now I have high hope for this MV1...

20230811_045908.jpg

Gears : Music Player: Audirvana - DAC: D70s - Amp: A30Pro

Brief of my own impression, MV1 vs R70x,
Build quality, By looks, R-70x is sturdier, and MV1 looks like cheap plastic, but it really makes from Anodize Alumunium... So Call me old school, I prefer R70x looks.

Sounds Impression, My challenge is the Headphones impedance, The gap is to wide, R-70x 470 ohm VS MV1 24 Ohm. Finding the same listening volume is really struggling for me...
O yeah, my R70x alrd used after market 4.4TRRS Cable UP-OCC copper, while MV1 is based on original 6.35 SE OFC cable.

R-70x (Compare MV1) will sound more darker, the high is more roll off, even the upper mid, So Safe for sibilance issued. Vocal in certain Song, is more weight & lush.
The fitting still better then MV1, more comfortable like you barely feel of using it. I still choose this for long hours gaming session. Where you need just need imaging precision, not detail or clarity...

MV1 (Compare to R-70x), sound more neutral, with better clarity. Yes, I find sibilance in certain song, yet it's in my margin of acceptance. Sounds placement (Spatial resolution) is probably the main highlights for this MV1, the imaging detail is better. And fell more depth clarity for good pin point the sound source.
Soundstage will be a bit wider.
The fitting clamp give more force, but still Comfort for me.
For Audio serious listening hour, I often grab MV1...

BTW, when there's Other MV1 user mention to me, that Vocal placement is dead center, and I can pouch for that, I also exp the same...
For mobile usage, MV1 with tiny DAP M0 Pro, already sings & enjoyable... but you need high Gain, to get that clarity in position (weird but that what I felt)

20230810_171645.jpg

Sound Impression to be continue...
When my TRRS 4.4 already done

edit : I find unusual Timbre, like electrical guitar... when I use portable gear (M0Pro - HUGO2)... The sounds seems not natural IMO...
could you compare the bass between them, thank you

Aug 11, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #257 of 461
could you compare the bass between them, thank you
Based on my experience, for mid Bass, R70x will have a just bit more quantity then MV1...

Please be aware, my R70x is using Hybrid Velor pads, so if you want more puncy bass, you can go with Sheep skin pad, but using the sheepskin, the bass texture can be fuzzy/unclear...

Aug 11, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #259 of 461
Yeah just got these yesterday. Bass is nice and punchy, especially for an open back. Just the way I like it :) And they're very light on the head so quite comfortable.

For those who care, the earcup opening measures approximately 65x35mm, and is about 25mm deep.

Aug 11, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #260 of 461
Do you find the MV1 to be sibilant? there's a peak at around 8-9khz, which I find extremely harsh and unrefined in headphones that have the same characteristics
yes, a bit, its quite transparent to the quality of the music itself, so far IMO as I've said before, has more sibilance than Z1R. Tho am getting used to it and are no longer bothered by that, I feel the same with the Z1R when i first demoed it on Jaben 5 years ago, after i own it, it doesn't come up anymore.
Also, someone's opinion on using the MV1 for atmos mixing:

Aug 11, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #261 of 461
Tried any open ortho/planars? I guess I wouldn't say they did subbass justice, but in my limited over-ear experience I've heard a few that seemed to have decent extension for open headphones.

IMO Z7 isn't a bad compromise if you can deal with the eccentric tuning- almost like a semi-open but with deep bass (kinda slow, not the punchiest).
With the MV1 out, its hard for Unmodded Z7 to win IMO, i cant remember anything its better at other than the build (tho thats a big win on the z7, man i still miss handling it in my hands) and its trading in convenience for that advantage. I'm really glad first Sony's openback after MA900 have clear strength to it, and unique in studio-use headphone space as well.

Aug 11, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #262 of 461
With the MV1 out, its hard for Unmodded Z7 to win IMO, i cant remember anything its better at other than the build (tho thats a big win on the z7, man i still miss handling it in my hands) and its trading in convenience for that advantage. I'm really glad first Sony's openback after MA900 have clear strength to it, and unique in studio-use headphone space as well.
I modded my z7m2 with beyerdynamic velour pads to boost treble and a new cable cuz my old one broke, and honestly I still prefer the MV1s

Aug 11, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #263 of 461
These cans sort of remind of an open-back MDR-7520 (which are also studio monitors). But I'll at some point when I'm not feeling too lazy about it do a side by side comparison.

Aug 12, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #264 of 461
7520 i think is the studio version of my MDR ZX700, just the 7520 have detachable cable, neither have the LC Polymer driver like MDR Z1000's and subsequent 1R series.
imo its more of sony's old house sound, ie SA5000 and 010, way, way less in bass, a bit lean, a bit dry. should be quite different than MV1.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #265 of 461
7520 i think is the studio version of my MDR ZX700, just the 7520 have detachable cable, neither have the LC Polymer driver like MDR Z1000's and subsequent 1R series.
imo its more of sony's old house sound, ie SA5000 and 010, way, way less in bass, a bit lean, a bit dry. should be quite different than MV1.
No, the 7520 is the studio version of the Z1000. They look almost identical. The 7520 has bass that extends very deep, highly detailed and textured. Bass shy is the last thing I'd say to describe them. Read my review of the 7520 linked in my signature.

The mids and highs on the MV1 remind me a lot of the 7520. But will do a side by side comparison at some point.

Aug 12, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #266 of 461
ah yeah, its the 7510 thats the lower studio ver huh. most impression of Z1000 i know of still make it quite bass light so i thought 7520 is the same. found someone selling z1000 pads, maybe i should try it. as mine flaked off long ago, and Lachlan @a_recording swapped the pads of the two with the impression that the difference between the two can simply be the difference between the pads, and i think the 7520 has the same part number. Do you swap out the pads on yours btw? any recommendation better than stock?

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #267 of 461
ah yeah, its the 7510 thats the lower studio ver huh. most impression of Z1000 i know of still make it quite bass light so i thought 7520 is the same. found someone selling z1000 pads, maybe i should try it. as mine flaked off long ago, and Lachlan @a_recording swapped the pads of the two with the impression that the difference between the two can simply be the difference between the pads, and i think the 7520 has the same part number. Do you swap out the pads on yours btw? any recommendation better than stock?
I've used Shure pads for the 1540 and 840 on mine. They do change the sound a little bit, particularly in the lows, emphasizing them a tad more. I do find them more comfortable than the stock pads.

Aug 19, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #268 of 461
20230819_120055.jpg
20230819_120854.jpg20230819_121251.jpg20230819_121017.jpg20230819_121309.jpg

hmm.. I find the Quality of MV1 stock cable is more appealing

Aug 19, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #270 of 461
It's been two months since I bought MV1 and I compared intensively with Z7M2 and HD660S. My conclusion is MV1 is a full spectrum nice sounding positional monitor headphone. HD660S is Gaussian smoothed with an emphasis on lower mid. Z7M2 is Sony's extended Sennheiser without the veil.

The biggest difference between MV1 and Z7M2 is sound stage and imaging. Z7M2 simply cannot get away from closed backs and echo. It can tell you whether you are in a concert hall or in a stadium, but it also reminds you that you are listening to recordings. MV1 on the other hand lets you immerse in the audience with its precise imaging at full spectrum. The difference is quite apparent when watching soccer and live concerts. Z7M2 also rolls off a little bit earlier than MV1. It's not a problem in general. But if you want to enjoy Lang Lang's piano, MV1 is the way to go, fully extended and fast.

The biggest difference between Z7M2 and HD660S is that HD660S loses subtle information due to earlier roll offs at both ends. HD660S kind of simplifies music. Sometimes, it actually works well although not faithful. HD660S has a warmer lower mid range which also contributes to the veil. I do feel Z7M2 lost Sony's lineage, clearly not as vibrant and lively as 1AM2, rather more towards Sennheiser's laid back sound.

The ways they deal with sibilance are different. HD660S makes sibilance longer and weaker. The Sony's filter out and leave some at the end. So, you may hear a grainier and weaker S sound with HD660S, and a shorter and a little sharper S sound with Z7M2 and MV1. In general, they have about the same amount of sibilance. Sometimes I feel HD660S creates weak grainy sibilance out of none sibilant sound due to its aggressive algorithm.

Switching headphones, I can only pick up more details in one way HD660S -> Z7M2 -> MV1. From HD660S -> Z7M2, it is mostly in the treble. From Z7M2 -> MV1, it is in both bass and treble due to imaging.

Since I started using MV1, I do find myself pay more and more attention to recording and mixing because I started to notice mistakes and brilliance from sound engineers. There are cases for what used to be good music I now wish they have had done it differently, for what used to be a big mixed up of everything, now I am amazed by the level of details they put into it. I also noticed that sometimes the vocals drift around the center. At first I thought the sound was not stable, then I realized it's actually the singers moved back and forth from microphones. The awareness of sound engineering sometimes bothers me and distracts me from what I am doing especially when I need to read and write. It doesn't bother me when I code.

So for me, they all have good use cases, MV1 when I want to enjoy music, HD660S when I don't want to be distracted by music, Z7M2 when I want to block background noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back